The Student Room Group

birkbeck students..everyone welcome..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Orianne
I doubt you'll get a well written reference. if you are looking to get your application in early, your tutor will only be able to base it on your participation in class discussions because u wouldn't have any assessed work other than your personal statement. The course doesn't have a lot of essay writing like other access courses, the first essay is due the final week before you close for xmas, results in the new year so by then its a bit late.

But I really don't think the reference matters a great deal. With access courses admissions know that students are just starting out so they don't really expect glowing references. If a university is keen they'll ask for an updated reference later on. I was told Birkbeck use a generic reference for everyone confirming your enrolment and a brief description of the course, your tutor may add a few extra lines.

Also Birkbeck wait until the deadline to submit UCAS applications so if you want yours in early have it submitted with the Oxbridge lot.

That's understandable. I'm probably not likely to apply to Oxbridge (although maybe Cambridge if I feel I can achieve above 70%) so perhaps leaving my UCAS application to be sent off with the everybody else's, is not a bad thing.

Does an earlier application increase chances of an offer, at all?
Reply 81
Original post by Orianne

Original post by Orianne
pick a tutor as normal, then just class hop for the first week or two. If you find a more suitable class just ask for a transfer, say change in circumstances or the like...

THANKS. As the time gets closer, I get more and more excited
Reply 82
Ok so i just got my unconditional offer for the Cert HE Legal Method. I applied last year and deffered my entry till this year. Im excited that I can really start studying for my chosen career path. Good times ahead!!

Who else got their offer letters today?
Original post by Baffour_88
Ok so i just got my unconditional offer for the Cert HE Legal Method. I applied last year and deffered my entry till this year. Im excited that I can really start studying for my chosen career path. Good times ahead!!

Who else got their offer letters today?

you know everyone gets on the course no matter what right?
Reply 84
Original post by OneWordStory
you know everyone gets on the course no matter what right?

I know, but being that I have been in america for a while, I cant wait to come back and get right into school. I guess the letter reminded me of how close I am!!!
I know, but being that I have been in america for a while, I cant wait to come back and get right into school. I guess the letter reminded me of how close I am!!!

well i have been told for your year the course is going back to the old structure rather than the hell hole we have been through this year... though honestly there isn't much learning on the course apart from what you teach yourself... if you really wanted to jump back into learning, a full time foundation would of been better... i know when i go uni i will struggle after this course...
Reply 86

well i have been told for your year the course is going back to the old structure rather than the hell hole we have been through this year... though honestly there isn't much learning on the course apart from what you teach yourself... if you really wanted to jump back into learning, a full time foundation would of been better... i know when i go uni i will struggle after this course...

This course will be great for me because I know exactly what I want. I have a plan and im sticking to it. Education is what you make it.
I will be fine. Thanks for your advice.
I now too, have an unconditional offer. I can rest assured that the next academic year of my life is secured!
This course will be great for me because I know exactly what I want. I have a plan and im sticking to it. Education is what you make it.
I will be fine. Thanks for your advice.

Original post by admbeatmaker
I now too, have an unconditional offer. I can rest assured that the next academic year of my life is secured!

congrats on your offers, may I ask your reasons for choosing the Birkbeck Cert instead of an Access to HE? Are there any particular advantages or distinctions? Thx.
Reply 89
Original post by fannymartha
congrats on your offers, may I ask your reasons for choosing the Birkbeck Cert instead of an Access to HE? Are there any particular advantages or distinctions? Thx.

To be honest, I actually couldn't find any access courses. lol. It was getting late and my friend has suggested this one to me.
Reply 90
Anyone here doing (or going to do) an MSc in the politics department? I've got an offer for MSc Global Politics and will most likely be enrolling at Birkbeck this year. Also, please sign the petition in my sig if you want a separate sub-forum for Birkbeck.
To be honest, I actually couldn't find any access courses. lol. It was getting late and my friend has suggested this one to me.

there is the westkings course which I am considering. they have access to law & humanites and appears to be more robust than than the Legal Methods which comprises of only 5-6essays for the whole duration and very little in terms of study skills :s-smilie:. as someone above said, it may be insufficient prep
there is the westkings course which I am considering. they have access to law & humanites and appears to be more robust than than the Legal Methods which comprises of only 5-6essays for the whole duration and very little in terms of study skills :s-smilie:. as someone above said, it may be insufficient prep

My main consideration in taking the Legal Methods course at Birkbeck is that it is already a level 4 qualification and therefore you will feel no difference when going into the first year of an undergrad degree, so perhaps in essence making it 'easier'. I also considered that the course is set in a university, with a university environment, albeit primarily mature students, which we are. I also considered that I know I want to do law and only law at university, so a course in law seemed like the best idea. I'd rather not wallow around doing other subjects of little or no interest to me. I'll also get a better grade in something I feel passionate about.
Original post by admbeatmaker
My main consideration in taking the Legal Methods course at Birkbeck is that it is already a level 4 qualification and therefore you will feel no difference when going into the first year of an undergrad degree, so perhaps in essence making it 'easier'. I also considered that the course is set in a university, with a university environment, albeit primarily mature students, which we are. I also considered that I know I want to do law and only law at university, so a course in law seemed like the best idea. I'd rather not wallow around doing other subjects of little or no interest to me. I'll also get a better grade in something I feel passionate about.

as a person on this course and thought exactly the same as you before attending it i want you to know you will be very disappointed going in with those expectations.

Though this advertises to be a level 4 course, it is not... you study one evening a week with the odd saturday school you are not required to attend as it has no affect on the course... The work set out is pretty trivial and barely provides the skills you will need at university, and the support is a joke...
The teachers are paid by the hour not by the classes results or ability and the teacher you get greatly affects the way you are taught... For example one teacher actually told students to put in their UCAS applications each university they have applied to and why (the one biggest no no) and another told them to make it like a CV...
And Birkbeck is essentially a college tied to the University of London, only the Grads and Post Grads are taught in the same way as a university, Certificates are not, each term the room you study in is changed, you will tend to find the course starts with around 20 in your tutor group, but quickly drops to around ten from people leaving... Our class is an exception as most of us hang out and support each other though in other classes nobody talks...
As for wallowing in idle subjects of no interest to you, good thing your not doing A-Levels then which is the bench mark for UCAS... A course at college or access is about providing the skills you need to study at a higher level, how to write an essay, how to be critical, to get your point across, handle a high work load and so on... So an access course where you do various subjects is better to equip you with the skills you need than a course with barely any structure or support that is basically self taught...
If it was me and i could go a year back, i would do a proper course and not this joke of course... saying that i got in to Newcastle and Manchester...

P.S. i spoke to the students from the year before who did go to uni and all of them had said the transitions has been ridiculous and the course didnt prepare them at all...

but you know what you want and where you want to go, so the best of luck to you... I just thought i would give people an actual idea of what the course is like, not its fairy tale promise...

If you want an example of the work you have to do then here is one worth a whooping 30% of one module "did the ECHR come to a just conclusion in Saunders v UK" write between 250 and 350 words...

If the course is one year, do it...
If the course is one year, do it...

Thanks for sharing your honest opinions, I spoke to a some current students and they seem to share the same sentiments. The 2011 course seems to have gone a bit topsy turvy by the sounds of it. I've got an offer but will go ahead with the access course which is also a year.
Original post by eve_22
Hi everyone,

I graduated from Birkbeck in June 2009, with a Certificate of HE in Legal Methods. I am now nearing the end of my first year as a law student at Oxford University.

Just thought I will say hi and offer my advice and support to people who might visit this thread. :smile:

Hey!! Congratulations on that! Can you help me: is it possible, as it seems so, to apply to OTHER universities after studying a certificate course, presumably like you done to go to Oxford?
Original post by AlexanderTheGreat
Hey!! Congratulations on that! Can you help me: is it possible, as it seems so, to apply to OTHER universities after studying a certificate course, presumably like you done to go to Oxford?

it will enable you to apply to any university of your choice(pending outcome) people have done the certificate and gone on to study at oxford, cambridge, lse, ucl, kings, exeter, durham, manchester, etc etc etc
Does anyone know when you can expect to receive more details about enrolment and start dates and the likes?

I received and accepted my unconditional offer from Birkbeck already back in January (I applied very early) but I've had nothing from them since then other than invitations to open evenings. I don't know how long they normally take to fill the courses and start preparing for the next academic year as this year's students are obviously still there in the current academic year.
Reply 99
Original post by AlexanderTheGreat

Yes, most definitely. Out of all universities which I have contacted, only Warwick said they would not accept the course as a valid entry qualification for the LLB.

As for your other question of where I've stayed, I live in London permanently so accommodation was not a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending