The Student Room Group

JP morgan Schools Programme 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by therealOG
1) Is that top public school in London?
2) Aren't those mediocre GCSE's gonna look extra bad seeing as you're receiving a "top public school" education?
3) It's not a personal statement, it's a cover letter. And it's pretty subjective how good a CL is, just like a PS

No it is not in London. and my GCSEs grades weren't shocking just compared to you not as good.

EDIT: also a person in the year above of me got accepted for this programme last year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Doughnuts!!
:lol:

Pwned.

But why would it matter if the school was in London? :confused:

Some guy posted previously that quite a few of the successful applicants last year were from London private schools (he looked at their facebook group).

I suppose it's because of the whole commuting element, and they're assuming that the majority of people won't be willing to stay in a hotel if they're a long distance away from London. That's my theory anyway. I don't know what the whole "private school" thing's got to do with it though.
Some guy posted previously that quite a few of the successful applicants last year were from London private schools (he looked at their facebook group).

I suppose it's because of the whole commuting element, and they're assuming that the majority of people won't be willing to stay in a hotel if they're a long distance away from London. That's my theory anyway. I don't know what the whole "private school" thing's got to do with it though.

Surely they can make the assumption that anyone who has applied is willing to travel to London and stay for a night or two.
Original post by Competencies
Surely they can make the assumption that anyone who has applied is willing to travel to London and stay for a night or two.

I had a massive logic fail right there.

Still, my theory may be in their subconscious lololololololol

Ahhh.

I can understand the London thing (though I doubt it's a huge decider) but the private school seems like a coincidence tbh.
Reply 145
Meh. Your grades are way better than mine but I don't mind saying what mine are :L

IGCSEs: 2A*'s, 4A's, 3B's and a C [In art lol :P]

Hoping my IB points count for more though as they are more important:
Economics, geography, maths, english, french and biology with 41 predicted.

Also, I go to a pretty average college in England.
Original post by Aqua.
Meh. Your grades are way better than mine but I don't mind saying what mine are :L

IGCSEs: 2A*'s, 4A's, 3B's and a C [In art lol :P]

Hoping my IB points count for more though as they are more important:
Economics, geography, maths, english, french and biology with 41 predicted.

Also, I go to a pretty average college in England.

LOL i got a C in art aswell.

You do very good A - levels aswell.
Reply 147
Original post by CityTrader
LOL i got a C in art aswell.

You do very good A - levels aswell.

WooP! What a bitch art is!
Thanks, but they aren't a-levels its the IB :biggrin:
Original post by Aqua.
WooP! What a bitch art is!
Thanks, but they aren't a-levels its the IB :biggrin:

Yep! I Loathed art..

My bad I didn't see they were IB.
Has anyone just realised that they probably don't want to go into IB?

I'm in this situation right now....

Oh well, something to put on the old CV (If I get in lol)
Has anyone just realised that they probably don't want to go into IB?

I'm in this situation right now....

Oh well, something to put on the old CV (If I get in lol)

I know the feeling, been there and done that myself. I think most aspiring IBers question it at least once.

What is it that has caused this change of heart may I ask?
Original post by Panda Vinnie
I know the feeling, been there and done that myself. I think most aspiring IBers question it at least once.

What is it that has caused this change of heart may I ask?

Wait, have you been on the JP Morgan Schools Programme? Are you in IB at the moment?

I think it's the hours and monotony of IB that are repelling me away from it. I'm not sure I want to be spending 3 years+ of my life (in my prime years too haha) working day and night, being bored out of my mind. What's your view on this?
Wait, have you been on the JP Morgan Schools Programme? Are you in IB at the moment?

I think it's the hours and monotony of IB that are repelling me away from it. I'm not sure I want to be spending 3 years+ of my life (in my prime years too haha) working day and night, being bored out of my mind. What's your view on this?

Agreed. :yes:

Also: :poke:
Yeah, I've sort of decided I don't care so much about money. I'm not sure though.

I haven't, I'm at uni :smile: I meant I've been in that place of doubt.
But I did do an internship at ML and worked in a PE firm as well (got both by nepotism). I was adamant that I'd want to get into IB but after these experiences I wasn't as sure...precisely for the reasons you've mentioned.

It's definitely not for everyone, but I've still decided to go down the route (if I'm fortunate enough to get in). I figured I should give it a proper try and if I don't like it then at least I've earned a bit out of it and can put down analyst experience at an IB in my CV.

I totally know what you mean, the kind of work involved in the first years is not stimulating by any stretch of imagination. Coupled with endless hours of it, I'm not sure I have the patience and tolerance.

Despite all that though IB is still my main aim. I'll see what I want after I've experienced it properly. Have you had any experiences that perhaps resulted in these views? If not then maybe if you catch a glimpse of it yourself through something like this programme/internships you might like it more?
Original post by Panda Vinnie
I haven't, I'm at uni :smile: I meant I've been in that place of doubt.
But I did do an internship at ML and worked in a PE firm as well (got both by nepotism). I was adamant that I'd want to get into IB but after these experiences I wasn't as sure...precisely for the reasons you've mentioned.

It's definitely not for everyone, but I've still decided to go down the route (if I'm fortunate enough to get in). I figured I should give it a proper try and if I don't like it then at least I've earned a bit out of it and can put down analyst experience at an IB in my CV.

I totally know what you mean, the kind of work involved in the first years is not stimulating by any stretch of imagination. Coupled with endless hours of it, I'm not sure I have the patience and tolerance.

Despite all that though IB is still my main aim. I'll see what I want after I've experienced it properly. Have you had any experiences that perhaps resulted in these views? If not then maybe if you catch a glimpse of it yourself through something like this programme/internships you might like it more?

I've come to that junction in life when I have only two days left at school (where I've spent 7 awesome years) and in a few months I'll be starting anew at university. Because of this, I've been thinking a lot about life/careers/future etc.....and I think that I've come to the conclusion that free time (leisure, relaxation, holidays) is priceless. I'm not sure that a massive paycheck would be a worthy exchange for 100 hour weeks. 3 years plus of that is a scary thought atm.

I'm sure I'll have a better idea after a couple of years at uni with relevant work experience :smile:

I've also been looking at consultancy. Do you have any knowledge of the hours involved? I've heard that the sheer amount of travelling is a killer....

*chuckle*

Do you even know what IB is? Doesn't sound like you know anything about it!

Will be interesting to see if you get this. Good luck!

Ps. you don't work like that for your first few years, it is for as long as you stay in IB...
Original post by keynesismyhomeboy
*chuckle*

Ps. you don't work like that for your first few years, it is for as long as you stay in IB...

What is it that's funny? Is my belief that IB (at least in the first 10 years) involves ridiculous hours and a whole lot of boring, repetitive work inaccurate? Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but that is the general view I've garnered from looking at various forums and articles.
Original post by keynesismyhomeboy
*chuckle*

How on earth could you extrapolate from his reply that he knows nothing about IB? What sort of idiot are you?

EDIT: Neggers are stupid because you really can't tell from his post whether or not he knows anything about IB.
(edited 12 years ago)
anyone know when we're expected to hear replies about this programme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending