The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

What's Leeds like?

I'm thinking about firming Leeds, but I really didn't like the look of the city when I went there. Is it actually an ok place to live?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by (:Becca(:
I'm thinking about firming Leeds, but I really didn't like the look of the city when I went there. Is it actually an ok place to live?

It's better than Chester-Le-Street.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Leeds is brilliant. I'm coming to the end of my first year and would really recommend it. You said you didn't like the look of it - if you are talking visually then, yes, there are some bits of it that aren't that attractive, but there are also some bits that are. It's the same with any city.

There are at least 4 HE establishments in Leeds so there is a MASSSIVE proportion of students. This makes it very student friendly and often quite cheap too. The night life is always buzzing too, for this reason.

Are you looking at Uni or Met? I'm at Uni and can really recommend it - it's a great campus and there's always lots going on. The societies and clubs are brilliant and the Student Union is one of (if not THE) biggest and best in the country. Academically, it's a well respected and high performing university with a lot to offer.
Original post by (:Becca(:

Leeds is a great city to be a student in. It's probably the best city in Yorkshire. Lots to do and there's lots of bars as well. I actually prefer Leeds to Manchester, but i'm biased because i'm a Yorkshire lad:smile: it's safe if you have common sense and don't do stupid things like walking round Headingley at night on your own
(edited 13 years ago)
I want to apply to university of leeds, but im scared my gcse grades will lower my chances :/
Original post by Maxine Kays
I want to apply to university of leeds, but im scared my gcse grades will lower my chances :/

You only need grade A-C in maths and english to get into leeds. If you've done Key Skills at college you can use this. If you have neither, make sure your personal statement is pratically perfect to portray yourself as a good learner.
Original post by jblackmoustache
Leeds is a great city to be a student in. It's probably the best city in Yorkshire. Lots to do and there's lots of bars as well. I actually prefer Leeds to Manchester, but i'm biased because i'm a Yorkshire lad:smile: it's safe if you have common sense and don't do stupid things like walking round Headingley at night on your own

:lolwut:

Headingley at night... dangerous? Hyde Park is worse, Burley is worse and I've not got anywhere near the actually dodgy parts of Leeds yet.
Hyde Park and Burley aren't THAT bad. Been a few stabbings in Headingley
It's a great city - nowhere near as busy/pricey as London, but there's still plenty to do. Being in Yorkshire, countryside areas aren't far off either. But, yeah, aesthetically, it's far from Oxford.
Reply 9
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
It's a great city - nowhere near as busy/pricey as London, but there's still plenty to do. Being in Yorkshire, countryside areas aren't far off either. But, yeah, aesthetically, it's far from Oxford.

Oxford's nothing special. It has plenty of 1960s crap and a lot of it is dirty.

Leeds has the Arcades, the Markets, the Corn Exchange, the Town hall, Victoria Quater, Millenium Square. It's not the grim, ugly city people are desperate to characterise it as.
Original post by Gissing
Oxford's nothing special. It has plenty of 1960s crap and a lot of it is dirty.

Leeds has the Arcades, the Markets, the Corn Exchange, the Town hall, Victoria Quater, Millenium Square. It's not the grim, ugly city people are desperate to characterise it as.

Perhaps nothing special to you, but if you're comparing both going by first impressions as you've only been around the university area, Oxford wins. At least imo. Though I do agree, it isn't the grim, ugly city people so quickly judge it to be before having looked around properly as opposed to only visiting on one occasion.
Original post by mikeyd85
:lolwut:

Headingley at night... dangerous? Hyde Park is worse, Burley is worse and I've not got anywhere near the actually dodgy parts of Leeds yet.

Of course. Student areas in general are full of crims. Most of them have high rates of robbery and muggings because they're full of easy pickings. Full of naive outsiders. Headingley isn't bloody Harrogate. It can get dangerous at night.

Young professionals walking around with iphones, naive Jack Wills wearing girls walking alone from uni and various trendy bars, guys walking home from uni in their Leeds Uni hoodies with their macbooks, etc. You can't forget about all those windows open - giving access to loads of computers, gaming consoles, etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
I live in Leeds and I love it! :smile: Everything you could want is right on your doorstep!
The only thing I hate about yorkshire is everyone knows each other...
whereas london people dont, and people are less fake because they dont know each others businesses
like at the moment, i in sheffield.. all the leeds, manchester people already know my life its pathetic!
i just wanna move some where away from the fake people!!
Original post by jblackmoustache
Of course. Student areas in general are full of crims. Most of them have high rates of robbery and muggings because they're full of easy pickings. Full of naive outsiders. Headingley isn't bloody Harrogate. It can get dangerous at night.

Young professionals walking around with iphones, naive Jack Wills wearing girls walking alone from uni and various trendy bars, guys walking home from uni in their Leeds Uni hoodies with their macbooks, etc. You can't forget about all those windows open - giving access to loads of computers, gaming consoles, etc.

Nail on the head. There's a lot of opportunist burgalry round here. Multiple-occupancy housing doesn't really help the area much. So long as you take simple, common sense steps to protect your self, it's a pretty safe area. I can honestly say I've never felt threatened round here. I can't say the same for other areas of Leeds!

As for the Harrogate comparison - of course it's not! Thank **** for that. I spent far too long in the Gate. Was very happy to get out! :biggrin:
Original post by mikeyd85
Nail on the head. There's a lot of opportunist burgalry round here. Multiple-occupancy housing doesn't really help the area much. So long as you take simple, common sense steps to protect your self, it's a pretty safe area. I can honestly say I've never felt threatened round here. I can't say the same for other areas of Leeds!

As for the Harrogate comparison - of course it's not! Thank **** for that. I spent far too long in the Gate. Was very happy to get out! :biggrin:

I'm very bored of being in Harrogate too, looking forward to getting out soon :smile:
Reply 16
I've lived in Sheffield, Nottingham and do a lot of work that involves staying in Manchester. I've lived in leeds for about three years now, starting in Hyde Park and now in Chapel Allerton. I love Leeds. It's easily my favourite of the cities I've lived and worked in and even in Hyde Park it felt a lot safer than I do when I'm in Manchester. Crime rates are always high in student areas because of the opportunist reasons people have already given but overall I definitely feel safe in Leeds for the most part. It's great for shopping and nightlife and people are generally friendly!:smile:
Reply 17
Original post by jameswhughes
I'm very bored of being in Harrogate too, looking forward to getting out soon :smile:

"Still looking for this girl from Romania...we met last year in Cambridge on the maths open day (April 24, Trinity College) and caught the train together afterwards, train was going to Birmingham...I got off at Peterborough, never got your name though...would really like to meet you again. Message me if you see this."

That is hilarious.
Reply 18
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Perhaps nothing special to you, but if you're comparing both going by first impressions as you've only been around the university area, Oxford wins.

Depends how you make those first impressions. If you get off the train in City Square and walk up Park Row, that's much more impressive than getting off the train in Oxford and walking up George Street.

I know what you mean though - Oxford is a historic city like York, Bath, Lincoln, Chester, etc.
Reply 19
Dirty

Quick Reply

Latest