The Student Room Group

Built a computer, not booting!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Bro this same thing happened to me a few years ago! Are you sure you have screwed in your motherboard properly on to your case??? If the the small solder things on the back of your motherboard are touching your case, your motherboard might be short-circuiting and therefore not booting
Reply 21
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
Plug in your graphics card. See what happens. This may sound like a stupid question but I didn't see you mention it, did you apply thermal paste to your processor before you installed it?

eBuyer will accept returns if products are faulty, they're pretty good.

Tried it with the graphics card as well, no luck. Heatsink came with some paste applied so didn't add any extra.

Still need to identify what's faulty (if anything!)
Take it out of the case...

Clear CMOS.

Use the onboard video output.

Use 1 stick of RAM.

Short the two power pins to turn it on, i.e touch a screwdriver to both the pins.

If not, I'd suggest your CPU/motherboard is borked or the motherboard needs a BIOS update to support the CPU. I don't have a list of which CPUs that mobo supports at which revision.
Does a cpu fan have to be 4 pin? Because looks to me like that one is 3 pin. And no cpu fan= no boot, so maybe wrong cpu fan = no boot?
Original post by rorydaredking
Does a cpu fan have to be 4 pin? Because looks to me like that one is 3 pin. And no cpu fan= no boot, so maybe wrong cpu fan = no boot?

CPU fans don't have to be 4 pin, only the newer PWM fans need 4 pins to work properly. In my opinion 3 pin fans work just as well as their newer counterparts, providing the motherboard supports them.

One thing I have found is that newer motherboards that are designed for PWM fans cannot control the older 3 pin type of fan, they just run at full speed all of the time. Or maybe that is just my motherboard.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Have you tried with no RAM (if it beeps then you could try a different brand of ram)? Faulty ram can sometimes cause a problem like this (with no beeps... I have a faulty stick at the moment which does exactly that, but its very unlikely that a new stick would be faulty).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending