The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1640
Original post by -Taz-
I remember going on a university open day, and they had an amputated hand. Just looking at it made feel i was about to pass out - i had to leave the room discretely :colondollar:

Anyone else get a bit of that? or is it just me not suited too well to a career in medicine.

... I am getting better though. During my work experience i saw a live operation, and although i wasn't right on top of it, i did get up close a few times and didn't feel anywhere near as bad as the first time

Thoughts? is it the sort of thing you can sort of get desensitised to after a while, or is this a major obstacle for me?

aw, lol, never felt like that. It's usually the smell that sets me off, once puked on a residdents bed cos he crapped all over it, but it might be something you get over gradually?
Original post by -Taz-
I remember going on a university open day, and they had an amputated hand. Just looking at it made feel i was about to pass out - i had to leave the room discretely :colondollar:

Anyone else get a bit of that? or is it just me not suited too well to a career in medicine.

... I am getting better though. During my work experience i saw a live operation, and although i wasn't right on top of it, i did get up close a few times and didn't feel anywhere near as bad as the first time

Thoughts? is it the sort of thing you can sort of get desensitised to after a while, or is this a major obstacle for me?

Definately something you'll overcome.
A friend of mine says they were always a few in her dissection class who had to leave the room but towards the end of the year, they were looking forward to it.
And just because people appear calm, inside they're probably screaming, which is often the case with me lol :colondollar:
Original post by dmz
aw, lol, never felt like that. It's usually the smell that sets me off, once puked on a residdents bed cos he crapped all over it, but it might be something you get over gradually?

eughh and LOL
Did you have to clean that up too..?
OMG two HCA interviews.. :biggrin:
& a retail job offer..
After 2 and 1/2 years of job hunting though.. :colondollar:
Reply 1644
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
eughh and LOL
Did you have to clean that up too..?

yer :ashamed: (no domestics around) the **** i go thru (no pun intended)
Original post by dmz
yer :ashamed: (no domestics around) the **** i go thru (no pun intended)

:console:
You're doing something good for the patients
& your experience will be priceless
I hope i get something soon.. :rolleyes:
Reply 1646
:console:
You're doing something good for the patients
& your experience will be priceless
I hope i get something soon.. :rolleyes:

Yea, priceless :colonhash: lol. I best get in for medicine after all this or I'll turn into an evil genius recruit several deserving people who didn't get in and cause mischief :colone:
Reply 1647
Original post by -Taz-

Nooo I used to be a bit squeamish as well. It is definately the smell that gets to me.

I like dissection - well we've only done a bit of prosection in Biology, obviously, but I really enjoyed that. I wasn't squeamish for that, but I guess I never saw the pig whose heart it was! Thats whats difficult about cutting people up - knowing that its a person, and more than likely knowing the person because you've seen them pre-op.

I reckon you'll get used to it :smile: Thats what they said on all the open days anyway.
Hello 2012 reapplicants! Thought I'd drop in and see how you're all getting along. I haven't bugged the thread as much as I had planned to. :biggrin:
Original post by dmz
Yea, priceless :colonhash: lol. I best get in for medicine after all this or I'll turn into an evil genius recruit several deserving people who didn't get in and cause mischief :colone:

LOL recruit me if i don't get in!
Nah you will get in cos you've got dedication
In a way, everybody that really wants to do medicine will get in, they just don't know how long it will take them.. :rolleyes:
Reply 1650
Original post by dmz

I remember that smell :eek:

I will make a major effort to get over it in my gap year. It's just matter of getting as much work experience as possible and watching gory films :biggrin:

Chances are i'm having an operation myself in the coming months. Next time i come across that smell, it may be me right at the centre of it. It would probably be something i could mention in a potential future medicine interview as well.
Reply 1651
Definately something you'll overcome.
A friend of mine says they were always a few in her dissection class who had to leave the room but towards the end of the year, they were looking forward to it.
And just because people appear calm, inside they're probably screaming, which is often the case with me lol :colondollar:

I heard similar stories, which is why i still went flat-out with my medicine application after the 'hand' incident :congrats:

OMG two HCA interviews.. :biggrin:
& a retail job offer..
After 2 and 1/2 years of job hunting though.. :colondollar:

Good job :smile:

It's a pretty good time to get a job, just before you do your exams and get started with your gap year. The interview practice might come in handy later too :dance:
Reply 1652
Original post by twelve
Nooo I used to be a bit squeamish as well. It is definately the smell that gets to me.

I like dissection - well we've only done a bit of prosection in Biology, obviously, but I really enjoyed that. I wasn't squeamish for that, but I guess I never saw the pig whose heart it was! Thats whats difficult about cutting people up - knowing that its a person, and more than likely knowing the person because you've seen them pre-op.

I reckon you'll get used to it :smile: Thats what they said on all the open days anyway.

Same here. We dissected a sheeps heart in biology.

All i remember is how plastic-y it felt. That wasn't too bad really. A human hand is different though - especially when you look down and realise you've got one of them things too... except it's fully attached
Reply 1653
Original post by tome27
Hello 2012 reapplicants! Thought I'd drop in and see how you're all getting along. I haven't bugged the thread as much as I had planned to. :biggrin:

how was south Africa/Zimbabwe?
Original post by -Taz-
I heard similar stories, which is why i still went flat-out with my medicine application after the 'hand' incident :congrats:

Good job :smile:

It's a pretty good time to get a job, just before you do your exams and get started with your gap year. The interview practice might come in handy later too :dance:

Goshh i hope i get it, it just seems to good to be true with no NVQs and all
Although I may have slightly exaggerated on the work experience section of the application.. :colondollar:
But i'm a bit worried about having a job just before exams, seems like this would be the most crucial time, I'm hoping they'll say "We don't need you till after June 24th"
Original post by dmz
how was south Africa/Zimbabwe?

I haven't been yet! I'm going in June now, dates went a little weird.
Well remembered though!
Reply 1656
Goshh i hope i get it, it just seems to good to be true with no NVQs and all
Although I may have slightly exaggerated on the work experience section of the application.. :colondollar:
But i'm a bit worried about having a job just before exams, seems like this would be the most crucial time, I'm hoping they'll say "We don't need you till after June 24th"

Hmm, not a good idea methinks. I'd struggle to work and study simultaneously. Don't forget how important these exams are - you can't realistically resit if you miss your grades by a couple of marks :frown:

How many hours a day is it? and i would imagine you would have to take time off to actually sit the exams?
Reply 1657
Original post by tome27
I haven't been yet! I'm going in June now, dates went a little weird.
Well remembered though!

Ha right! Figured that's why you hadn't been on or you possibly have a life now? :eyeball: you went with Zimbabwe right?
Original post by -Taz-
Hmm, not a good idea methinks. I'd struggle to work and study simultaneously. Don't forget how important these exams are - you can't realistically resit if you miss your grades by a couple of marks :frown:

How many hours a day is it? and i would imagine you would have to take time off to actually sit the exams?

I'm not sure when they'll start, I presume during exams though
If so, i'll turn them down cos i can always apply for another vacancy i guess
These ones are 37.5 hours a week monday-friday so full time, would be great to have after exams but I'm just going to go to the interviews for the experience for now
Reply 1659
I'm not sure when they'll start, I presume during exams though
If so, i'll turn them down cos i can always apply for another vacancy i guess
These ones are 37.5 hours a week monday-friday so full time, would be great to have after exams but I'm just going to go to the interviews for the experience for now

I was talking to my dad about this - I've booked a few holidays straight after exams, so I can't really start until August, but he said to apply now anyway. I think he said that as long as you're honest and don't try and make out you can start straight away, then it doesn't matter. Thats the difficulty with all of these - they don't tell you when they actually want you. I'd assume that they'd advertise the vacancy as soon as the previous job holder gave in their notice. How long before they leave do they have to give in their notice?

Quick Reply

Latest