The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
At the beginning of the first episode River is escaping again from prison, implying that in her timeline she's there before the Doctor is killed. She shoots the astronaut, which if it's a past River is herself, which she can't do.

oohh yeah i forgot about that bit :smile: good shout! i could say it was all just an act for the others present.....but thats a bit of a stretch lol
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I think the high point for RTD, with the exception of the End of Time, was series 3. Series 3 came together beautifully. Early on we had the Face of Boe's final message (YANA), Human Nature/Family of Blood was a beautiful story (although not written by RTD, the plot device was stuck in there by him) and then we had Utopia. And in Utopia everything came together perfectly. When The Professor brought out his own Fob watch ... :coma:

Personally, I can't help but feel that none of that made up for the fact that it had Martha in.

I would go either for the specials or for series 4 because the Doctor and Donna were excellent together.
Original post by silverbolt
Are you mad? Seriously. Moffat has give us the best episodes of the entire series - blink, silence in the library, and forest of the dead. Not to mention he gave us the likes of Sherlock Holmes and Jekyll.

Moffat stories were great as a one off in the series, but he can't write consistent or believable characters to save his life. Amy has no defining personality traits other than her short skirts, and whenever he writes the Doctor he is completely out of character. The fact that he ordered the human race to commit genocide on the Silence without even stopping to apologise is proof of that. I can't comment on Sherlock or Jekyll because I haven't watched them.
Reply 1983
Martha wasnt that bad, I thought she was way better than Rose who greatly annoyed me
How long until someone votes Series 2 and i get to laugh at them :holmes:
Original post by cambo211
I went with Series 3.

I can pick the worst series far easier than i can pick the best.

Which do you feel was the worst then?
Original post by SirMasterKey
Which do you feel was the worst then?

Series 2.

No hesitation.
Original post by squareroot1764
Moffat stories were great as a one off in the series, but he can't write consistent or believable characters to save his life. Amy has no defining personality traits other than her short skirts, and whenever he writes the Doctor he is completely out of character. The fact that he ordered the human race to commit genocide on the Silence without even stopping to apologise is proof of that. I can't comment on Sherlock or Jekyll because I haven't watched them.

Why would they apologise for getting rid of an enemy? Thats just inane.

And how is he out of chrachter? And please for the love of the gods do not come back with "hes not Tennant or Tennants doctor wouldnt do that"
Series 2.

No hesitation.

How come?
Original post by silverbolt
Why would they apologise for getting rid of an enemy? Thats just inane.

And how is he out of chrachter? And please for the love of the gods do not come back with "hes not Tennant or Tennants doctor wouldnt do that"

Because he's the Doctor. He doesn't like to kill things. That's something that's consistent in all his regenerations. And how do we know for certain that the Silence even were the enemy? The Doctor never stopped to ask or reason with them as far as I know. The same with the siren from last week, he just went straight into running away rather than asking her what she was there for. Trying to reason with the enemy before trying to kill it is something I see as a defining quality trait of the Doctor, but Moffat has completely forgotten about.

And no, I'm not just a brainless Tennant fangirl, because the Ninth Doctor was like that too. In the first episode of series one he was confronted with a enemy and said "I'm not here to kill it". He tried to reason with it, only after that failed it was it anti-plastic time. I'm afraid that I don't know enough of the classic series to comment on that front though.
I just don't see it happening in this series, doesn't look like it is going this way in the first half anyway.. But I would love to see Wilfred, even if he is sitting on his little hill with his telescope looking at the TARDIS flying by :love:
Reply 1991
How come?

for me at least, rose and david felt like a forced combination, it felt far less comfortable than chris and rose or david and donna
How come?

1) Love and Monsters
2) Fear Her
3) There was nothing in it that had me hooked at any point
4) The opening was crap
5) The final was crap
6) I didn't like Tennant with Rose
6) ii) the emotions between them both seemed forced
7) I generally dislike Mickey as a character
7) ii) I dislike Jackie as a character

All the other series are on the same high level and all the series have had their low points but series 2 is the only one i can really distinguish as being just 'bad'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1993
I liked rose and the doctor :frown:. ok I wouldn't of liked her as a person in real life but I liked them.
Original post by squareroot1764
Because he's the Doctor. He doesn't like to kill things. That's something that's consistent in all his regenerations. And how do we know for certain that the Silence even were the enemy? The Doctor never stopped to ask or reason with them as far as I know. The same with the siren from last week, he just went straight into running away rather than asking her what she was there for. Trying to reason with the enemy before trying to kill it is something I see as a defining quality trait of the Doctor, but Moffat has completely forgotten about.

And no, I'm not just a brainless Tennant fangirl, because the Ninth Doctor was like that too. In the first episode of series one he was confronted with a enemy and said "I'm not here to kill it". He tried to reason with it, only after that failed it was it anti-plastic time. I'm afraid that I don't know enough of the classic series to comment on that front though.

My excuse in terms of the Silence is the fact that he isn't necessarily wanting them dead, but by getting humanity to kill them, he's kicking them off the planet - making it good motivation to leave rather than an attempt to destroy The Silence once and for all. And I suppose you could argue his motives might be the pretty ominous warnings he's recieved about them in Series 5. Moffat might show his move to be a rash decision anyway. Maybe the Silence, for example, chased those Vampires off their planet because the Doctor kicked them off Earth? That might be a nice twist.
Original post by boba
I liked rose and the doctor :frown:. ok I wouldn't of liked her as a person in real life but I liked them.

Rose and Ecclestone were okay but Rose and Tennant just didn't work for me :nope:
Reply 1996
Rose and Ecclestone were okay but Rose and Tennant just didn't work for me :nope:

Ecclestone should of had another series and they leave together? I say he should of been longer rather than her shorter because it seems a shame to have a doctor for one series
Original post by boba
Ecclestone should of had another series and they leave together? I say he should of been longer rather than her shorter because it seems a shame to have a doctor for one series

Ecclestone chose to leave as far as i'm aware :dontknow:
Reply 1998

I heard that Ecclestone chose to leave after the first series to avoid being type-cast.
Reply 1999

but he shouldn't of I liked him, and now sometimes I forget about him altogether

Latest