The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

What's Leeds like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I can confirm most parts of the city are unkempt dirty places. However, millennium square and the area around Greek street is nice.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Gissing
Depends how you make those first impressions. If you get off the train in City Square and walk up Park Row, that's much more impressive than getting off the train in Oxford and walking up George Street.

I know what you mean though - Oxford is a historic city like York, Bath, Lincoln, Chester, etc.

George Street isn't that bad. :tongue: But, definitely, it's known as a historic city and when people visit they look to see what gives it that label.
Original post by Staker
I can confirm most parts of the city are unkempt dirty places. However, millennium square and the area around Greek street is nice.

How can you confirm that? :curious:
Original post by Maxine Kays
I want to apply to university of leeds, but im scared my gcse grades will lower my chances :/

I have 5 GCSEs, with only 1 A grade and I got in for English.
Original post by hoopyfrood199
I have 5 GCSEs, with only 1 A grade and I got in for English.

really? what were your other grades? what A Levels you get
At GCSE I got ABBCC (they were the only ones I took, but I didn't tell the uni that or anything)
At AS level I got AAAC. I think Leeds are more interested in how good and passionate you are about your subject, rather than how much you have achieved.
Original post by hoopyfrood199
At GCSE I got ABBCC (they were the only ones I took, but I didn't tell the uni that or anything)
At AS level I got AAAC. I think Leeds are more interested in how good and passionate you are about your subject, rather than how much you have achieved.

thats true, what grades did they want for english?
for my course, they want BBB :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Staker

Are you talking city as a whole or just city centre?

Either way, i'd have to disagree.

Sure, it has it's fair share of deprived areas, especially to the East and South which are Leeds' industrial heartlands. But no more than any other city. And North Leeds is, generally speaking, a very affluent area; home to the most expensive postcode in Yorkshire - one street in which has an average house price of over £1.5m.

The city centre doesn't really have any 'unkempt' dirty places. A few neglected areas around Kirkgate and the markets, but that just adds to the character, and are in different stages of redevelopment.
Reply 28
Original post by Maxine Kays
I want to apply to university of leeds, but im scared my gcse grades will lower my chances :/

I got two Bs and the rest Cs at GCSE and I got an offer. My AS levels weren't that strong either I was on BCC.
Leeds, like anywhere in the world, has it's good areas and bad areas, but I think the pluses far outweigh the minuses...

There's a lot of culture there (not just the nationality + religion kind - all kinds of culture!) and there's always somewhere to go and something to do! I deffos recommend it :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Staker

Just to confirm: no unkempt, dirty places in London.
Reply 31
I live in Leeds, going into my third year at Leeds Uni and I love it! I'm originally from London, and have always said I wanted to come back to London after Uni and work. But now I've lived here, I want to stay here after Uni. It has a London feel about it, but it's so much smaller! It has a real buzz when the students all come back. It has a wicked nightlife too - what sort of music are you into? x
Reply 32
Original post by jameswhughes
I'm very bored of being in Harrogate too, looking forward to getting out soon :smile:

I've heard Harrogate's very pretty though, was thinking about going for a day trip or two on the train... is it worth it as a tourist?
Original post by Muffinz

Original post by Muffinz
I've heard Harrogate's very pretty though, was thinking about going for a day trip or two on the train... is it worth it as a tourist?

Yes, I suppose so, the train only takes about 35 minutes from Leeds. If you do come here, visit Betty's tea rooms (main tourist attraction), the Valley Gardens, the Pump room and perhaps the Turkish Baths (I've never been there so I have no idea what's inside, however).
Reply 34
Original post by Muffinz

Yes, but be prepared to do nothing but shop, eat and drink.
Take a stroll down Montpellier Parade to the Pump room/Mercer art gallery area, James Street or West Park/ stray. Avoid Cambridge Street even though it looks like the centre of activity (except maybe Starbucks).

You should take the black 38 Ripon bus to get there (it's a nice ride and cheaper than the train).

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by sqwerty
Dirty

lol yeah, btw where are you from Chelsea :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 36
Leeds is awesome! :smile:
I had a few mates at leeds uni and I went there about 4 or 5 times, and had a blast every time. I wish I had gone to uni in leeds.
Original post by Gissing
Yes, but be prepared to do nothing but shop, eat and drink.
Take a stroll down Montpellier Parade to the Pump room/Mercer art gallery area, James Street or West Park/ stray. Avoid Cambridge Street even though it looks like the centre of activity (except maybe Starbucks).

You should take the black 38 Ripon bus to get there (it's a nice ride and cheaper than the train).

That's where I go drinking on occasion pml.

The location of my first ever jobs christmas party, I really wasn't feeling too well after that lol.

Probs a typo its the 36, great AC on the buses though and leather seats too, very comfy, takes for ages though or so I have been told, it's like the 701 I think it is the Leeds to Wetherby via Hgate, that takes at least an hour to get to Harrogate from Leeds grrr one, Wetherby the place where I really go out allot more than Harrogate to be honest nowadays it's allot more of a laugh.

It's funny how you said drink since the gate as my friends and me call it, it's been branded as the worst for Binge drinking in the UK for some reason or other can't think why lol.

Original post by Gengar_1500
Leeds is awesome! :smile:

You see all I think about of Leeds are my University days, good olde Kirkstall Brewery what a year of fun that was!

Best student halls in the UK I think by far, it's practically it's own village, remember having out in Skyrack (a town or is that classed as a village Headingley?) on a Wednesday afternoons getting kicked out of Hyde Park pub because the tutor group I was in we where a noisey bunch would get a bit too active during drinking games lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
I think Leeds is lovely. I do live hear though, so I may be biased! In all my life living hear I have never been beaten up/mugged so the horror stories are exactly that - stories! If you're a student you won't be anywhere near the bad parts anyway!
Aesthetically I think it's beautiful too; in the center there is a lovely mixture of gothic/victorian building alongside modern ones.

Quick Reply

Latest