The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2010-11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah_dru
Oh well, you can't work every day!
Yeah it is. I'm just trying to force myself to keep going with it as it's due in on the 17th.

these not working every day and passing :p:

just gotta go through it, the 17th got some time, sounds like fun
Original post by robinson999
these not working every day and passing :p:

just gotta go through it, the 17th got some time, sounds like fun

I only have one day off a week :tongue: I haven't had one this week though, way too much to do!

I've not got too much more to do now thankfully. My worst exam is next week.
I only have one day off a week :tongue: I haven't had one this week though, way too much to do!

I've not got too much more to do now thankfully. My worst exam is next week.

one 1 :p:that me soon, working 24/7 :p:

thats not too bad hopefully i have 2 and a bit weeks to get ready for mine

good luck :smile:
Reply 363
Got a really baws mark for my dissertation (in the 50s) :frown:

Really hated my supervisor and his meetings were generally lectures to me about nothing specific to my problems. As a result i failed to keep in contact. On the feedback form he mentioned i hadn't met him until near the deadline which is rubbish. Although i did "relax" my meetings over christmas and into January, i had met with him on 3 occasions before christmas and a further 3 or 4 into January (mid-Feb deadline)

Other nonsense in my feedback included "no explicit mention of interview numbers" - i thought a table showing the different ages, occupations, and other factors clearly outlined how many i did as well as numerous mentions within the chapter. Because i didnt say "i am doing X number of interviews" ? I also stated how many i was doing to him several times during meetings but whatever

Presentation was "obviously rushed" was another insult as i'd fully completed it days early, and had proof read it and proof read it (and got others to proof read it) as well as formatting the pages, chapters, headings, contents etc to a perfect standard but whatever

I obviously accept responsibility for some factors for it not being a perfect dissertation (draft lit review being later than id hoped ) however it was something i enjoyed (to an extent) and was proud of completing and put more work into than anything ive ever done and to get a mark in the 50s was a slap in the face, especially considering i know folk who blagged their way through their dissertation (making up interviews/questionairres) and even handed it in below word counts/late etc and still managed to get a better respective mark

I should have changed supervisor early on because the main focus of my dissertation wasn't even focussed primarily on his subject (although it did have a good part of it)

Just need to focus on exams now - can just about scrape a 2:1 if i maintain my assignement consistency and my exams arent going "too" bad considering the horrific timetable i have

Stay Positive :smile:

Cheers for helping me construct another uni related rant TSR :biggrin:
Original post by RS89

Spoiler

I'm sorry to hear things have been so harshly judged. :frown:

I only saw my supervisor three times across 12 months, as he didn't know anything about my topic and our meetings would last 10 minutes - if that. You definitely seem to have been better at keeping in contact that me. :/

At the very least, you know where you stand now. Gives you something to focus on as you do your exams. I hope it all works out well in the end. :smile:

I need to try and forget about mine. I had so little guidance, that I've no idea what grade to expect. I keep panicking - thinking I've completely missed the point - but it is still 9 weeks till I find out, so I need to try and forget about it. Just keeping my fingers crossed.
i've pretty muct finished, just doing the presentation now (of my dissertation, not an actual presentation) and am somehow finding this more stressful. i have no idea what an abstract is, my supervisor just said don't worry it's only about 100 words. how helpful. i don't know how to do a content page either, am just playing around atm. should i put each chapter on a different page?
i sound stupid but i've never written anything like this before, or even seen an example to work off. i'd hate to lose marks on something stupid like presentation
Original post by robinson999
one 1 :p:that me soon, working 24/7 :p:

thats not too bad hopefully i have 2 and a bit weeks to get ready for mine

good luck :smile:

Haha, if only I did that :wink:

Thanks, good luck to you too.

Original post by miranda13
i've pretty muct finished, just doing the presentation now (of my dissertation, not an actual presentation) and am somehow finding this more stressful. i have no idea what an abstract is, my supervisor just said don't worry it's only about 100 words. how helpful. i don't know how to do a content page either, am just playing around atm. should i put each chapter on a different page?
i sound stupid but i've never written anything like this before, or even seen an example to work off. i'd hate to lose marks on something stupid like presentation

With the abstract, I was told to basically condense my introduction and conclusion. Is yours marked?
Do you mean a contents page in word? I just let the whole text flow as it was otherwise it would've been even more of a waste of paper what with it being double spaced too.
Finished writing my dissertation now. Going to give it a couple of days before I proof-read it, print it and hand it in for next Tuesday!

I never expected to enjoy writing it so much. I'm quite proud of what I've produced, but I suppose that doesn't matter.. it's what the marker thinks of it. :s-smilie:
With the abstract, I was told to basically condense my introduction and conclusion. Is yours marked?
Do you mean a contents page in word? I just let the whole text flow as it was otherwise it would've been even more of a waste of paper what with it being double spaced too.

thank you, that is actually the most helpful bit of information about the abstract. i'm not sure if it's marked but i'm guessing maybe not because my supervisor told me not to worry about it and my friend's wasn't even sure we had to do one and told him just to write a couple of lines. figured out how to do my contents page now too. yeah i thought it would be better just to let it flow too and just put things like bibliography and contents page seperate. even though i could put my title, abstract and contents page all on one sheet
Original post by miranda13
thank you, that is actually the most helpful bit of information about the abstract. i'm not sure if it's marked but i'm guessing maybe not because my supervisor told me not to worry about it and my friend's wasn't even sure we had to do one and told him just to write a couple of lines. figured out how to do my contents page now too. yeah i thought it would be better just to let it flow too and just put things like bibliography and contents page seperate. even though i could put my title, abstract and contents page all on one sheet

You're welcome :smile: Hopefully yours isn't marked, mine was just there in case the external examiner didn't read it. That sounds like a good idea!
Just got my (provisional) mark back.

66!!!!

YES
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo

66!!!!

YES

Congrats! :biggrin:

Still got 6 weeks to wait for my mark. :frown:
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo

66!!!!

YES

Awesome, congrats :biggrin:
Awesome, congrats :biggrin:

Thanks!

Lol I'm literally in shock still, thought it was a 61/62 at best! I was not expecting this!

Let's hope it doesn't change with second marking! It's been marked by someone who's very senior in the department though so I doubt it.
Reply 374
Congrats :smile: I would LOVE that mark for mine, as you can tell by the fact I'm still drafting it at 3am...
well done, that mark's amazing

finally handed mine in :biggrin: feeling relieved and nervous at the same time. really hope it's good. no idea when we get our marks back, i emailed my supervisor and he's ignoring me
I'm about to go into my third year and we get to choose whether we want to do a dissertation or not. It is only worth 20/120 credits and you only have to write 6000-8000 words. My subject is economics if that makes a difference. With that information, do you think doing a dissertation is worth it?
Original post by Dreamingaboutthestars
I'm about to go into my third year and we get to choose whether we want to do a dissertation or not. It is only worth 20/120 credits and you only have to write 6000-8000 words. My subject is economics if that makes a difference. With that information, do you think doing a dissertation is worth it?

If there is something you are interested in, that you might not otherwise be able to study, and you feel organised enough to get it done well without letting it take over your time - then yes. It will mean one less exam too.

However, if it is only worth 20 credits, you'll really have to balance your time. It is so easy for a dissertation to take over and for you to spend a disproportionate amount of time on it. :smile:
Reply 378
gave in my diss last week...such an amazing feeling...have 6 exams to go i've had 4 ...so 2 to go and uni is finish forever
I've handed my dissertation in now. Bit of a relief! Also had my only exam yesterday.. I think that means I've finished!

..it's a weird feeling. I'm going to write an essay for the hell of it to make myself feel useful again.

Quick Reply

Latest