The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2060
Original post by 100
That's not how banking works!

Why not?
I mean the principe seems quite logical..
Team A gathers the money from the customers/ do the consulting job
Team B invests it in the market or recommends stocks/bonds etc
And team C administrates everything :wink:

Did I get something wrong?
Reply 2061
Original post by spacy
Why not?
I mean the principe seems quite logical..
Team A gathers the money from the customers/ do the consulting job
Team B invests it in the market or recommends stocks/bonds etc
And team C administrates everything :wink:

Did I get something wrong?

Well, very, very simply:

'Team A' are investment bankers who neither invest, nor bank. Their revenue comes from the deals they work on. That money pays their salary and goes to the banks profits.

'Team B' are traders who trade the bank's money and client's money and if they make a profit, then great.

If at the end of the year Teams A and B have made more money than they have cost - everyone i shappy.

'Team BCG' do the consulting - not sure what you're talking about.

'Team C' do all the administration i.e. HR, IT and Finance - or more, accurately, not making any money for the bank. They are a drain on the profits made by Teams A and B.

You really need to look this up more!
Reply 2062
Original post by 100
Well, very, very simply:

'Team A' are investment bankers who neither invest, nor bank. Their revenue comes from the deals they work on. That money pays their salary and goes to the banks profits.

'Team B' are traders who trade the bank's money and client's money and if they make a profit, then great.

If at the end of the year Teams A and B have made more money than they have cost - everyone i shappy.

'Team BCG' do the consulting - not sure what you're talking about.

'Team C' do all the administration i.e. HR, IT and Finance - or more, accurately, not making any money for the bank. They are a drain on the profits made by Teams A and B.

You really need to look this up more!

Without Team C, however, Team A and B will not be able to do their job properly.
Reply 2063
Original post by WokSz
Without Team C, however, Team A and B will not be able to do their job properly.

Well they could do the job but with no HR support etc. but back office is not more prestigious!!
Reply 2064
Original post by 100
Well they could do the job but with no HR support etc. but back office is not more prestigious!!

HR support isn't the only thing Back Office does. It includes other support functions, such as Finance, execution, compliance, etc...

So, without good Back Office, a Bank is screwed.

And if you're after prestige, Banking will only be interesting for the first few months. The ones who burn out first are usually the ones who joined for the prestige only.
Reply 2065
Original post by WokSz
HR support isn't the only thing Back Office does. It includes other support functions, such as Finance, execution, compliance, etc...

So, without good Back Office, a Bank is screwed.

And if you're after prestige, Banking will only be interesting for the first few months. The ones who burn out first are usually the ones who joined for the prestige only.

I don't understand what you mean. Are you seriously suggesting that a BO job is better than a FO job? That's crazy!

Execution is FO!

Nobody burns out after a few months unless they just don't enjoy it but then that's pretty much a different reason. Suggesting that a "better" role is one in the back office is just ignorant of the practical realities of career hunting.
Reply 2066
Original post by 100
I don't understand what you mean. Are you seriously suggesting that a BO job is better than a FO job? That's crazy!

Execution is FO!

Nobody burns out after a few months unless they just don't enjoy it but then that's pretty much a different reason. Suggesting that a "better" role is one in the back office is just ignorant of the practical realities of career hunting.

I'm just making a point and no, I'm not saying that BO is better. Naturally, I'm interested in the markets so I'm applying for FO. But when you give advice, try and make it unbiased. It's better if people make their decisions themselves. FO isn't for everyone.
Reply 2067
First year undergrad at Cardiff, studying Economics. Hope to get a first. A*AA at A level and straght A's and *s at GCSEs effectively. Basically want to ask a simple question, as to what the likelyhood is of me getting an internship next summer, and also in my long term prospects of a career in investment banking.

I understand going to Cardiff, which is far from ideal could hold me back. But I wanted to see the opinion of others. Thanks
6 A*s at GCSE. I'm taking Maths, Bio, Chem, Economics. Assuming I get AAAA Do I have a decent chance at one of the top 5?
Reply 2069
Hey what do you think I have a chance of landing a BO job in a BB?

GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As
A-Level: Italian (B), History (A), Biology (B)
2:1 in Biomedicine from a Redbrick uni

After graduation got a temp job in account management in medical marketing for a few months to gain basic .office/admin experience.

ECs: grade 5 clarinet, volunteering as chief accountant at NSPCC, hobbies are acting and
dancing

What are chances ?
Reply 2070
Original post by Alexiel
Hey what do you think I have a chance of landing a BO job in a BB?

GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As
A-Level: Italian (B), History (A), Biology (B)
2:1 in Biomedicine from a Redbrick uni

After graduation got a temp job in account management in medical marketing for a few months to gain basic .office/admin experience.

ECs: grade 5 clarinet, volunteering as chief accountant at NSPCC, hobbies are acting and
dancing

What are chances ?

I don't see why not. I would apply and read up on the industry.
This will be my profile next year when entering the job market:

BA Tourism Management from a small university in Austria
MSc Marketing & Strategy from Warwick Business School (planning to write a project-based dissertation with a company)

- have spent an exchange semester in Sweden
- have done a 6-month internship with great responsibilities at a tourism company in Canada
- have taken a summer course in Strategic Management at LSE
- fluent in German, French, English, Spanish and have taken 3 years of Russian

What are my chances of getting a job at one of the big consultancy firms? Am I screwed because I focused on tourism after my A-levels? Can the MSc from Warwick make up for this at all?
Original post by Vindobona
This will be my profile next year when entering the job market:

BA Tourism Management from a small university in Austria
MSc Marketing & Strategy from Warwick Business School (planning to write a project-based dissertation with a company)

- have spent an exchange semester in Sweden
- have done a 6-month internship with great responsibilities at a tourism company in Canada
- have taken a summer course in Strategic Management at LSE
- fluent in German, French, English, Spanish and have taken 3 years of Russian

What are my chances of getting a job at one of the big consultancy firms? Am I screwed because I focused on tourism after my A-levels? Can the MSc from Warwick make up for this at all?

In my opinion your chances would be better if you tried to break into consultancy at an office in Germany/Austria and then perhaps transferred to London once you're in (I can't think of a major consultancy that does not have offices in Germany and/or Austria). Undergraduate business degrees (I'm treating tourism management as a sub-branch of business/BWL here) aren't hugely popular among top UK employers, plus your masters from Warwick would probably count more there than it does here.

EDIT: Or at the very least I would submit an application to offices in Germany/Austria (a lot of consultancies let you pick several offices to apply to) in addition to those in the UK.

EDIT2: Why on Earth are people negging you for that post?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2073
Pub manager
Reply 2074
Looks like I change to chemsitry at Warwick, sweet
Would there be any differentiation between these in terms of an IB application:
Chem
Mchem
Chem with management
Chem with medicinal chem ?
Reply 2075
Original post by honoris
Looks like I change to chemsitry at Warwick, sweet
Would there be any differentiation between these in terms of an IB application:
Chem
Mchem
Chem with management
Chem with medicinal chem ?

IBs aren't that obsessed with courses. You may be better of choosing Management in this case as Chemistry is a really tough degree and the Management units may lower your workload.
Hey guys,
roughly my profile:

Bachelor with the major in International Business at a University in Germany, graduated among the top 10% of my class.
MA Management and Organizational Analysis at Warwick Business School coming fall.

Good enough for BB IB FO?

Thank you.
Me: GCSE's: 8 C''s yes i know there sh*te
A levels (predicted): Business Studies A Economics A History B
Degree: Financial Management Hull University (prof experience) hopefully in a small/medium IB
Work Experience: pizza takeaway (2 and a half yrs), Greggs (a year), Redmayne Bentley Stockbrokers (2 weeks)
EC's: Financial director young enterprise, starting trading portfolio next summer.

What do you guys recommend i do to enhance my CV particularly ECs to pursue a career in IB preferably FO.
Cheers :smile:
Original post by United...
Me: GCSE's: 8 C''s yes i know there sh*te
A levels (predicted): Business Studies A Economics A History B
Degree: Financial Management Hull University (prof experience) hopefully in a small/medium IB
Work Experience: pizza takeaway (2 and a half yrs), Greggs (a year), Redmayne Bentley Stockbrokers (2 weeks)
EC's: Financial director young enterprise, starting trading portfolio next summer.

What do you guys recommend i do to enhance my CV particularly ECs to pursue a career in IB preferably FO.
Cheers :smile:

I recommend you don't go to Hull.
Hey guys,
roughly my profile:

Bachelor with the major in International Business at a University in Germany, graduated among the top 10% of my class.
MA Management and Organizational Analysis at Warwick Business School coming fall.

Good enough for BB IB FO?

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending