The Student Room Group

2:2 graduating... academic career over?

So I'm currently most likely going to graduate with a 2:2 in BSc Computational Physics, now I was actually on course to do a master but with the grades I have at the end of this term, I think I might be forced to gradate early without writing a dissertation.

Physics hasn't been my strong suit, I always wanted to do computer science, or robotics, mechatronics, and was actually considering doing a Master/PhD, but with the grades I'm most likely going to graduate, is my academic career over?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There will be some Masters/PhD programs that you can get onto with a 2:2 and I think if this is what you want to do and you have enough motivating you to do it then you shouldn't let your classification stop you.
It's not over, you still have options with a 2:2
Reply 3
My brother got a 2.2 and is doing his master at UCL if that helps.
Reply 4
I got a 2:2 in 2001 from Warwick and this year I'm going to do an MSc at Leeds University and I got in no trouble at all, despite the entry reqs being a 2:1. This may be a bigger time between studies than you may be planning yourself but the point I want to make is that with work experience and some good references, you should be fine. Depends how soon you want to do the masters though.

Hope that's of some use :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by N.Monkey
I got a 2:2 in 2001 from Warwick and this year I'm going to do an MSc at Leeds University and I got in no trouble at all, despite the entry reqs being a 2:1. This may be a bigger time between studies than you may be planning yourself but the point I want to make is that with work experience and some good references, you should be fine. Depends how soon you want to do the masters though.

Hope that's of some use :smile:

Unfortunately, that was 10 years ago.
Things are a bit harder now.
Original post by tehforum
Unfortunately, that was 10 years ago.
Things are a bit harder now.

Not necessarily, I got a 3rd, have finshed a masters and am now one year into a PhD.

Science is undersubscribed, don't expect to go to a first class institution but you are by no means shut out completely.
Original post by chutsu
So I'm currently most likely going to graduate with a 2:2 in BSc Computational Physics, now I was actually on course to do a master but with the grades I have at the end of this term, I think I might be forced to gradate early without writing a dissertation.

Physics hasn't been my strong suit, I always wanted to do computer science, or robotics, mechatronics, and was actually considering doing a Master/PhD, but with the grades I'm most likely going to graduate, is my academic career over?

Thanks

Would you be able to get good references? Good references from well-known academics can make a lot of difference (or at least it did in my case anyway) :smile:
Original post by chutsu

Thanks

I'm working in a different field (Psychology) but, my 2.2 (graduated in 2003) has not stopped me from getting 2 MScs (one from UCL), a postgraduate certificate and a PhD (near completed).

I don't think your academic career is over, but if you graduate with a 2.2, sadly, you may experience outright rejections, so be prepared to fight your corner and focus on your strengths. Even after all this time, I'm still met with rejections which is soul destroying, but I'll keep trying!

Agree with the other reply, obtain a great and shining reference from a university academic and discuss any shining marks (Firsts) received from your undergraduate degree.
Reply 9
Original post by Zelda1
My brother got a 2.2 and is doing his master at UCL if that helps.

May I ask what he is studying in UCL?
Reply 10
Original post by loki23

Original post by loki23
May I ask what he is studying in UCL?

Telecoms Engineering and Business. He read electrical engineering for his undergrad at a non top uni
Reply 11
Thanks guys. I've actually had a few internships under my belt, I've worked with QMUL with two projects, as well as Edinburgh Uni and Heriot Watt, the latter two being not so successful. But the point is I've showed a lot of enthusiasm so I don't think I'll lack things to say every in an interview nor will I have trouble finding good references. Does references really make that big of a deal?
Original post by chutsu
Does references really make that big of a deal?

I'm pretty sure it made all the difference in my case. I look absolutely appalling on paper, so having important people vouch for me and explain what happened to me helped a lot :yes:

That's not to say everyone would need stellar references though :nah:
Original post by chutsu
Does references really make that big of a deal?

I think they do as they are a way of backing up your ability. Your grades only say so much about you whereas comments from people who know you in a work or study capacity can give a good prediction of what your actual capabilities and areas of interest are.

I submitted three references with my poastgrad application as I was unable to get ones from my undergraduate course (as I finished undergrad 3 years ago in Australia and my year had 110 students doing my course). I used two managers who I've worked for in a job that is related to the postgrad degree I applied for and I had a reference from a professional in the field who I got to know while doing my undergraduate. This seemed fine for all my applications as everyone I applied to gave me offers.
Reply 14
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm pretty sure it made all the difference in my case. I look absolutely appalling on paper, so having important people vouch for me and explain what happened to me helped a lot :yes:

That's not to say everyone would need stellar references though :nah:

A 2.2 from Oxford is hardly appalling on paper!
Keep your head up mate. Grades aren't everything. Look at John Major.:smile:
Original post by evantej

True but I can imagine it being a problem if I ever tried to get AHRC or ESRC funding for a PhD. If I can self-fund, keep my nice referees and not have my Masters also derailed by my health, I'm sure I'll be fine :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by evantej

Actually, I read in a magazine that an Oxford Maths graduate was struggling to find work with a 2.2 degree. He said that "where you studied meant nothing to the employers." He might have been an exception over the rest, however.
Original post by Zoltan250
Actually, I read in a magazine that an Oxford Maths graduate was struggling to find work with a 2.2 degree. He said that "where you studied meant nothing to the employers." He might have been an exception over the rest, however.

It depends what you're trying to get into :yes:
You could do masters at a less prestigeous university?

Quick Reply

Latest