The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Zottula
Yeah it depends on how much I earn this summer as well. But seeing as I don't know whether I'm gonna pass my job interview or not, I'm not risking applying for anything other than the cheapest. All of Imperial's accommodation is nicer than what I had at my previous uni anyway.

I can understand why a single is more preferable for many people, but it does amuse me when I tell my friends that I'll be sharing a room and they look at me in horror like it's a completely mad idea. It's even funnier when I tell them I might be sharing with 2 people and they ask me if maybe I'm "roughing it" a bit too much :rofl:.

lmao. I can see why these other people are where the other people stand when you tell them you are gonna share. But I'm forcing myself to be realistic here... So sharing isn't out of the question.

And, as long as you apply now, to as many places as you can regardless of how well they pay you, you should get a job. This is how I got my job at KFC 3 weeks back, and this is assuming you don't live in the middle of the Scottish Highlands, and the only chance of employment you have is when it snows, and there is a skiing season.

Original post by Zottula
Yeah possibly. But we've had quite a few current students say they didn't get what they wanted. I can't apply to a single anyway though as they are too expensive for my budget. I'm really excited about having a room mate. At my previous uni it was quite lonely in my own room and no one ever seemed to leave their rooms :frown:.

My guess is that those people saying that are those, like us, are poor, and our budget only goes so far, and can't afford those more expensive single rooms.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 521
Original post by wrench22
Bummer, which uni was that at?

I'm definitely apply for the doublebed rooms, they look amazing, it'll be better than my own room now!

Keele University. Was alright, but not the most thrilling of universities. The doublebed rooms do look fab, I admit. Although I like the look of the triple rooms because they're MASSIVE.
Reply 522
Original post by Dark-Myth
lmao. I can see why these other people are where the other people stand when you tell them you are gonna share. But I'm forcing myself to be realistic here... So sharing isn't out of the question.

And, as long as you apply now, to as many places as you can regardless of how well they pay you, you should get a job. This is how I got my job at KFC 3 weeks back, and this is assuming you don't live in the middle of the Scottish Highlands, and the only chance of employment you have is when it snows, and there is a skiing season.

My guess is that those people saying that are those, like us, are poor, and our budget only goes so far, and can't afford those more expensive single rooms.

Well I've got 1 job at the moment, but it's casual work so I don't get many hours. I've had an interview at a supermarket and have just had a call back, so pretty hopeful :smile:. I'd rather spend less on accommodation, and more on other stuff so I can enjoy myself a bit more. I don't want to have to get overly stressed by money problems when I've got my studies to be worrying about!
Reply 523
Is this thread making anyone else really annoyed that we have to wait until the end of the month to apply. I really want to apply now :frown:.
Reply 524
Original post by Zottula
Well I've got 1 job at the moment, but it's casual work so I don't get many hours. I've had an interview at a supermarket and have just had a call back, so pretty hopeful :smile:. I'd rather spend less on accommodation, and more on other stuff so I can enjoy myself a bit more. I don't want to have to get overly stressed by money problems when I've got my studies to be worrying about!

What I tell myself is that, I'll be happy if I can live comfortably. As an Imperial EEE student, I doubt I'd have much of a life in the first 2 years. I hear from the 3rd years that it's the most intense course Imperial offers :tongue: Yay?

And no I am no annoyed that I have to wait. I rather wait till after results day and I KNOW I'm going to Imperial, and roughly how much I have to spend.
Reply 525
What I tell myself is that, I'll be happy if I can live comfortably. As an Imperial EEE student, I doubt I'd have much of a life in the first 2 years. I hear from the 3rd years that it's the most intense course Imperial offers :tongue: Yay?

Yeah I figured I'll probably become attached to where ever I live. I think it's more about the people in your hall than the place itself. All of their accommodation at both ends of the scale look comfortable. I think on most courses at Imperial people will be worked pretty hard, but yes, from what I have heard EEE is very hardcore. Have fun with that :h:.

And no I am no annoyed that I have to wait. I rather wait till after results day and I KNOW I'm going to Imperial, and roughly how much I have to spend.

Aaaah good point. I guess I'm just frustrated because I have an unconditional offer and I just want to sort stuff out now.
Reply 526
Original post by Zottula
Yeah I figured I'll probably become attached to where ever I live. I think it's more about the people in your hall than the place itself. All of their accommodation at both ends of the scale look comfortable. I think on most courses at Imperial people will be worked pretty hard, but yes, from what I have heard EEE is very hardcore. Have fun with that :h:.

Aaaah good point. I guess I'm just frustrated because I have an unconditional offer and I just want to sort stuff out now.

So you heard about it too. I was kind of secretly hoping it's not as hardcore as they made it out to be. I guess there goes my chances of getting hammered every other day :wink:

And yeah. Since you got unconditional, they should really give you the accomodation letter as soon as you firmed them. Really don't see the need in them waiting...
Reply 527
So you heard about it too. I was kind of secretly hoping it's not as hardcore as they made it out to be. I guess there goes my chances of getting hammered every other day :wink:

And yeah. Since you got unconditional, they should really give you the accomodation letter as soon as you firmed them. Really don't see the need in them waiting...

Well all of their engineering courses are gonna really hard core, let's face it. So don't be too disappointed!

Yeah, it's annoying that they haven't sent me anything. At other unis usually unconditional offer holders get stuff sorted earlier. It just makes sense rather than allocating everyone rooms at the last minute.
Original post by Zottula
It just makes sense rather than allocating everyone rooms at the last minute.

:tongue: it really wouldn't be fair if the unconditionals got their rooms sorted before everyone else.
And it wouldn't make it faster for them anyway, all the room allocations are done by a computer.
Reply 529
Original post by freefrag
:tongue: it really wouldn't be fair if the unconditionals got their rooms sorted before everyone else.
And it wouldn't make it faster for them anyway, all the room allocations are done by a computer.

Meh, true it wouldn't be faster. It so would be fair!!! :tongue: Most unis do give unconditional offer holders priority.
Reply 530
Hey, what are the odds of getting Hall Residence in the 2nd year...?
Reply 531
Original post by NilDe

Quite low. You'd have to be a 'hall senior' and it's your job to look after the 1st years on your floor.
Reply 532
Original post by NilDe

Quite low. You'd have to be a 'hall senior' and it's your job to look after the 1st years on your floor.

^This.

Also, *if* there are any rooms remaining, they get assigned by ballot.
Original post by NilDe

If you excel at any sport, you can get a room in one of the halls of residence.
Original post by Zottula
Is this thread making anyone else really annoyed that we have to wait until the end of the month to apply. I really want to apply now :frown:.

No! I'm dreading the forms coming, because I'm pretty sure I've missed my grades and it will be painful filling out where I want to stay when I know I probably won't be going! :frown:
Reply 535
Original post by bluesky42
No! I'm dreading the forms coming, because I'm pretty sure I've missed my grades and it will be painful filling out where I want to stay when I know I probably won't be going! :frown:

Oh ok then :frown:. Sounds like you're not the only one who feels this way though. Hopefully it'll be ok though.
Reply 536
Woohoo! Just applied :biggrin:

Still went for Eastside even though it looks like they've put their prices up :s-smilie:
Reply 537
Original post by jupistar
Woohoo! Just applied :biggrin:

Still went for Eastside even though it looks like they've put their prices up :s-smilie:

You got the accommodation email already? I haven't received anything :s-smilie:
Original post by Alex-92
You got the accommodation email already? I haven't received anything :s-smilie:

Check your spam folder
I haven't received anything either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending