The Student Room Group

Latymer Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ps I'm hoping to do physics next year
Reply 41
Original post by catherinem

Original post by catherinem
It says on my letter that if you do 21st century science at GCSE (which I do) you may require additional reading... Does this mean I have to do extra reading in preparation for September? If so what books do I need? I checked out the website like the letter said but I couldnt actually find anywhere that mentioned extra reading :confused:

Everyone in your year will have done Core, Additional and Triple Science on AQA, so you may find yourself behind slightly. I have no idea what books you could buy to catch up, but we've been using this textbook since Year 9: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-GCSE-Physics-Students-Separate/dp/0340928034

As this textbook is quite long (and we don't even use it that often!), you may find that a CGP revision guide will be enough to make sense of any additional topics that you haven't covered in OCR 21st Century.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful, as I wouldn't really know how to go about self-teaching Triple Physics either...
Reply 42
Original post by und
Everyone in your year will have done Core, Additional and Triple Science on AQA, so you may find yourself behind slightly. I have no idea what books you could buy to catch up, but we've been using this textbook since Year 9: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-GCSE-Physics-Students-Separate/dp/0340928034

As this textbook is quite long (and we don't even use it that often!), you may find that a CGP revision guide will be enough to make sense of any additional topics that you haven't covered in OCR 21st Century.

Sorry if this isn't very helpful, as I wouldn't really know how to go about self-teaching Triple Physics either...

I had that aswell, but on the open day, i spoke to the head of chemistry and he said that i will be fine with 21 century, so honestly, id just chill :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by the don

Original post by the don
I had that aswell, but on the open day, i spoke to the head of chemistry and he said that i will be fine with 21 century, so honestly, id just chill :smile:

Ah. The head of Chemistry happens to be my teacher. :wink:

Are you going to Latymer for Sixth Form then?
Reply 44
Original post by und
Ah. The head of Chemistry happens to be my teacher. :wink:

Are you going to Latymer for Sixth Form then?

Oh really, yeah he seems quite nice.

Nah, probably not, i prefer St Michaels or Woodhouse, so im waiting on st michaels this week and if i don't get an offer i will think carefully about woodhouse or latymer, but if i do, it will be a straight YES lol
Reply 45
It will be a straight yes to St Michaels btw*
Reply 46
don if you go woodhouse let me know :smile: i didnt get accepted into Latymer, so maybe on results day but not really counting on it... i have an offer for woodhouse tho, so might see you there
Reply 47
Original post by the don

Original post by the don
Oh really, yeah he seems quite nice.

Nah, probably not, i prefer St Michaels or Woodhouse, so im waiting on st michaels this week and if i don't get an offer i will think carefully about woodhouse or latymer, but if i do, it will be a straight YES lol

I'll assume you got your offer a few minutes after posting that. :tongue:
Reply 48
Original post by N_young
don if you go woodhouse let me know :smile: i didnt get accepted into Latymer, so maybe on results day but not really counting on it... i have an offer for woodhouse tho, so might see you there

I don't really want to go to Woodhouse or Latymer, but if i have to choose one, it will porbs be Woodhouse, so ill see you there.

If you wanted to go to Latymer, id keep the results thing in mind as they do accept a fair few people from that.

Yeah, maybe
Reply 49
Original post by und

Original post by the don
I don't really want to go to Woodhouse or Latymer, but if i have to choose one, it will porbs be Woodhouse, so ill see you there.

If you wanted to go to Latymer, id keep the results thing in mind as they do accept a fair few people from that.

Yeah, maybe

Never mind. I misunderstood your second post there as suggesting you had been accepted to St Michael's. I hope your application goes well for you. :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by und

No, i still haven't heard from St Michaels, but waiting...
But if your talking about Latymer, i was waitlisted but got like an acceptance letter 2 days after, so sorta the same thing. But honestly, i messed up my test as i was really tired from the week before, because i had modules all that week and had been up all night on Wed and thurs night, so i might have had a cheeky nap in the quantative, which i found hard lol.
Reply 51
Original post by the don

Original post by the don
No, i still haven't heard from St Michaels, but waiting...
But if your talking about Latymer, i was waitlisted but got like an acceptance letter 2 days after, so sorta the same thing. But honestly, i messed up my test as i was really tired from the week before, because i had modules all that week and had been up all night on Wed and thurs night, so i might have had a cheeky nap in the quantative, which i found hard lol.

Nah. I just misunderstood your post after that one, as suggesting it was a definite 'yes' for St Michael's, because you had been accepted. :wink:
Reply 52
Original post by und
Nah. I just misunderstood your post after that one, as suggesting it was a definite 'yes' for St Michael's, because you had been accepted. :wink:

I probs won't but its good to have faith lol
Reply 53
Original post by the don

Original post by the don
I probs won't but its good to have faith lol

Good luck. :wink:
Reply 54
Original post by und
Good luck. :wink:

Thanks, how are you finding Latymer, is it fun?
Reply 55
Original post by the don

Original post by the don
Thanks, how are you finding Latymer, is it fun?

Well, I've never been in another school so I can't really compare my experiences here to anything else. I do really enjoy it here, and especially like the relaxed atmosphere in which we're encouraged - but not forced - to work hard and succeed. I don't remember one time in the last five years when I was overloaded with hours of homework to do on one night or anything like that. The vast majority of teachers are very good at teaching (not all of them, unfortunately) and aren't too strict. I'm not a particularly musical person, but I've heard our better orchestras play and they really are excellent.

Overall, I would describe it as 'fun', especially compared to stricter schools which I've heard horror stories about. I really will miss Latymer when I eventually leave in Year 13...

I'm sure other people have had even greater experiences of other schools however, and I do happen to be a little bit biased. :tongue:
Reply 56
Id really wanna go latymer but not sure if ima be able to get in is the honest truth... so prob see you in woodhouse (that is if you dont get into st michels)

Good luck all :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by N_young
Id really wanna go latymer but not sure if ima be able to get in is the honest truth... so prob see you in woodhouse (that is if you dont get into st michels)

Good luck all :smile:

Heyy, got an offer from Latymer and St Michaels now, so i have to choose between the two grammars and the compehensive.
I have hesrd that you get better teaching in states, is that a valid statement?
I am bare haps lol
Reply 58
Original post by the don

Original post by the don
Heyy, got an offer from Latymer and St Michaels now, so i have to choose between the two grammars and the compehensive.
I have hesrd that you get better teaching in states, is that a valid statement?
I am bare haps lol

Just choose whichever one took your fancy to be honest. Don't listen to anyone else - especially not someone as biased as me!

What subjects are you doing again? I can give you a rough idea about the quality of the teachers.

Edit: By the way, I wouldn't listen to anyone who says everyone at Latymer is work obsessed and the teachers push you too hard, because they probably don't know the school very well. It is true, however, that the boy:girl ratio is unfavourable for boys at 7:5 (in my year at least)...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by und
Just choose whichever one took your fancy to be honest. Don't listen to anyone else - especially not someone as biased as me!

What subjects are you doing again? I can give you a rough idea about the quality of the teachers.

Edit: By the way, I wouldn't listen to anyone who says everyone at Latymer is work obsessed and the teachers push you too hard, because they probably don't know the school very well. It is true, however, that the boy:girl ratio is unfavourable for boys at 7:5 (in my year at least)...

Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Economics at Latymer
Maths, Further Maths,Chemistry, Economics and Clasical civ at St Michaels
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Classical Civ and maybe politics in my spare time at Woodhouse haha

Yeah, its chilled, i know, but St Michaels is actually my first choice so will probs take that lol, but both Latymer and St Michaels are highly academic, whereas woodhouse is not so i think its between those two?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending