The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Someone like Lee Clarke would be decent if he doesn't take Huddersfield up
Saints fan here, looking forward to next season already! Any other Saints fans on here? Reckon with the addition of a quality CM (Cork/Lansbury?) we could be going for automatic promotion next season. I fully expect AOC to stay, and if we can bring in a good DC like St Ledger and striker like CMS would be class.

----------------------Davis------------------------
Butterfield--Fonte-----StLedger-----Harding
AOC--Schneiderlin--Cork/Lansbury--Lallana
--------------Lambert----CMS-------------------
Original post by Super_Hans
Saints fan here, looking forward to next season already! Any other Saints fans on here? Reckon with the addition of a quality CM (Cork/Lansbury?) we could be going for automatic promotion next season. I fully expect AOC to stay, and if we can bring in a good DC like St Ledger and striker like CMS would be class.

----------------------Davis------------------------
Butterfield--Fonte-----StLedger-----Harding
AOC--Schneiderlin--Cork/Lansbury--Lallana
--------------Lambert----CMS-------------------

I'm pleased you guys got promoted, you already have a decent team. I'm sure Lansbury will head back to Norwich on loan as he helped them get promoted. I'd want us to go for someone like Craig Mackail Smith, he would be expensive..would be decent if we went up.
I think I may well just have to watch Saints v Bristol City if I can get a ticket. :coma:

Not too fussed about Saints-Pompey, that'll just end up being a riot like normal. :colonhash:
Original post by Tricky_Tree
I'm pleased you guys got promoted, you already have a decent team. I'm sure Lansbury will head back to Norwich on loan as he helped them get promoted. I'd want us to go for someone like Craig Mackail Smith, he would be expensive..would be decent if we went up.

True, and I think lots of Champ clubs will be after CMS - he only has a year left on his contract though so shouldn't be massively expensive. If we can't get CMS I wouldn't mind poaching Earnshaw off you, as I believe he is out of contract soon? The main thing we need in our side is pace...very important in the Championship and apart from AOC we have very little of it.

Original post by marcusmerehay
I think I may well just have to watch Saints v Bristol City if I can get a ticket. :coma:

Not too fussed about Saints-Pompey, that'll just end up being a riot like normal. :colonhash:

Cannot wait for Pompey, also looking forward to Reading away (if they don't go up) and Blackpool at home (after Holloway came out with those stupid quotes).
Also wouldn't mind having Nicky Maynard from Bristol who only has a year to run on his current contract....
I think Maynard will stay with Bristol City - they showed enough form at the end of the season to suggest they'll be promotion contenders again next time round.

They really suffered by letting Bradley Orr go to QPR though, even if he did keep rejecting new contracts.
Reply 5987
If Maynard doesn't sign a new deal at Bristol City then I'm sure he could easily get a move to the Premier League. I really can't see him moving to another Championship club apart from, at a push, Leicester who are cash rich and are already looking like favourites for promotion next season.
Original post by barnetlad
A nice man who sadly failed and I can understand why he was sacked.

This. :smile:
Someone like Lee Clarke would be decent if he doesn't take Huddersfield up

Yeah but I doubt he would leave Huddersfield for us at the moment. We will see.
Original post by Super_Hans
True, and I think lots of Champ clubs will be after CMS - he only has a year left on his contract though so shouldn't be massively expensive. If we can't get CMS I wouldn't mind poaching Earnshaw off you, as I believe he is out of contract soon? The main thing we need in our side is pace...very important in the Championship and apart from AOC we have very little of it.

Yeah Earnshaw is out of contract in the Summer. I can see him going unless he scores a lot in the next three (hopefully) games! He is on a big wage so I'd be happy to go for someone slightly younger..Danny Graham would be awesome!
Original post by ipswichblade
Yeah but I doubt he would leave Huddersfield for us at the moment. We will see.

Be interesting to see what you guys do in the Summer in terms of buying new players. When we went down to League One with Megson (urgh), we signed a load of old players who turned out useless, apart from a couple.

We continued to slide down and I remember we almost went into the relegation zone before we sacked him and hired two caretakers which made us finish 7th.

You post on LTLF anyway, so you probably know these nightmare stories! Hope you guys destroy Notts County :biggrin:
Be interesting to see what you guys do in the Summer in terms of buying new players. When we went down to League One with Megson (urgh), we signed a load of old players who turned out useless, apart from a couple.

We continued to slide down and I remember we almost went into the relegation zone before we sacked him and hired two caretakers which made us finish 7th.

You post on LTLF anyway, so you probably know these nightmare stories! Hope you guys destroy Notts County :biggrin:

Haha, yes I do indeed. :smile:
Taylor :facepalm2:

Is there a play-off thread anywhere? I can't find it if there is.
Horrible challenge. Had to be a red card even that early into the game.
And I don't think there is one. May aswell use this thread tbh.
As long a Welsh team doesn't get in PL I'm happy.
The play-offs are deffo the highlight of the season for me. So far so good for Swansea, 0-0 would be an excellent result.

I had a Swansea v Reading final predicted, with the Swans going up. Brendan Rodgers has a good future ahead of him in the Premier League IMO.
Original post by Jackthevillain
As long a Welsh team doesn't get in PL I'm happy.

Stop embarrassing yourself. Please.
We have played in the football league for longer than some English clubs, won the FA cup and played in the top flight. We have as much right to be there as anyone else.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by WelshBluebird
Stop embarrassing yourself. Please.

How am I embarrassing myself?The Welsh teams are Welsh and their fans are anti English so why should I want them to play in English Premier league?
Original post by Jackthevillain
How am I embarrassing myself?The Welsh teams are Welsh and their fans are anti English so why should I want them to play in English Premier league?

As I said above, we have played in the football league for ages. Longer than some other clubs in it. We have won the FA cup and played in the top flight. We have every right to be there. Plus of course, we are there because you (as in the english) wanted us there.

And no, we are not anti english. Its just banter and laughs. No difference to other regional rivalries in the UK.

Latest