The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

no it shouldnt affect it
Original post by The Narrator
Hey guys, I've got about 4 weeks of my probation left and was wondering if something like this could affect anything. It's my day off and about half an hour ago I got a phonecall from my manager asking if I could pop in today for a few hours, he did say it was on the off chance, now I would have gone in and helped out if I could but I honestly do have other arrangements for today. I just mentioned that to him saying that I had plans and he seemed fine with it and although I do have plans I do feel bad for not being able to go in and help out and I was also wondering if it would affect my probation period? Also it's not as if I just do the bare minimum of hours, I do a fair bit of overtime on Sundays, for the past two Sundays I've gone in and done overtime to help out, 12:30-8:30pm on the 1st May and 2-10pm on the Sunday just gone and I have probably worked about 4 or 5 Sundays now to help out. I guess I just feel bad that I couldn't go in to help out today because for him to ring me up asking like that it must have been bad but on the flip side it was very, very short notice.

It shouldn't affect your probation. You are under no obligation to do overtime, especially at short notice. I really don't think there would be any case for penalising you because of it - far from it. :smile:

The staffing at my store is crazy. We are so incredibly short staffed.

They made up the contracts when we had all the temps - around 100 of them. Now the temps have gone and there is no one to fill those hours. Plus, they keep allowing staff to leave my department and work elsewhere - mainly counters, restaurant and petrol station. The result is one big mess. They are absolutely desperate for people to do overtime.

Some of my friends have been working full time for weeks now, when they are only on 16-20 hour contracts. Obviously the option of overtime is nice, but they really need to find a more permanent solution. :/

Personally, I was asked by three separate supervisors on my last shift and got 7 phone calls about overtime yesterday. There is absolutely nothing I can do - in the sense that I have my final exams this month and they have to take priority... It is just unfortunate that things have ended up in such a state. They have said they are not taking on though, so I can't see how things are going to get any better. :/
we haven't got many staff either, they keep leaving. wonder why(!)
Original post by inksplodge
we haven't got many staff either, they keep leaving. wonder why(!)

:frown:

It all meant I felt rather guilty when I handed in my resignation.
Original post by affinity89
:frown:

It all meant I felt rather guilty when I handed in my resignation.

i wont feel guilty- just think they wouldnt feel guilty if it was them lol!
Original post by inksplodge
i wont feel guilty- just think they wouldnt feel guilty if it was them lol!

True lol.

To be honest, I really happy to be finishing soon. Whilst there have been some good bits and I've met some lovely people, I really don't think I'm going to miss it lol.
Reply 8406
It seems everywhere is short staffed then. Even trying to get someone to come over and cover breaks in the PFS for half an hour is a task. Or when the flight system breaks down... 'The flight system is broken. The bullions are full, can someone come over to move the money into the safe?.... 'em, no... it'll just have to wait to tomorrow.' Its just like, did you not just hear what I said?! Money, lots of it, in the till bullions. At least if we get robbed I can say I done my job properly. They cant spare anyone, regardless of how important it is.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8407
Interview tomorrow! :woo:

Hopefully if i don't screw up i'll be joining your ranks soon :wink:

(note: its highly likely i'll screw up)
Reply 8408
good luck with that zahrre, i'm sure you will be fine as long as you don't reply with 'your underpants' when they ask where you live.

anyone know how much more band 3 pay is than band 2? and if there is difference in pay between band 3 posts like cda and cts?
Reply 8409
Original post by mug51
good luck with that zahrre, i'm sure you will be fine as long as you don't reply with 'your underpants' when they ask where you live.

In that case i may have to rethink all of my interview prep... :teehee:
Original post by mug51

anyone know how much more band 3 pay is than band 2? and if there is difference in pay between band 3 posts like cda and cts?

After you have been signed off a Team Leader get paid an extra pound an hour, dont know what a CDA gets paid.
Original post by mug51

It'll depend on the area you're in. Where I am the band 2 pay is £6.23, and the band 3 is £7.07 at the moment.
I had an accident at work and was sent to the hospital to get stitches and was advised that I shouldnt go to work the next day and it was still put in my absence record what happened, didnt really feel like it was fair tbh.
from you guys who work while at uni, how much does it affect your social life there? i should be going to uni in september and a bit worried if i keep my job (i'm not going too far away) then i'll be there too much and find it hard to make friends in the first few weeks especially to tell the truth :L
Original post by swarfliam
from you guys who work while at uni, how much does it affect your social life there? i should be going to uni in september and a bit worried if i keep my job (i'm not going too far away) then i'll be there too much and find it hard to make friends in the first few weeks especially to tell the truth :L

I still have a social life, I just have to fit it around my classes and work. Before I took on the job, I spent 1 day a week doing volunteer work through the university though, so I am used to juggling the two things. :smile:
Original post by swarfliam

Depends on your hours really.

I only work Tuesdays (6-10pm) and Sundays (12-8pm) so it's not really a problem for me. Either way I don't see it being a massive issue, chances are the majority of the people you will meet will also have part-time jobs like yourself.
Reply 8416
Original post by Schumacher
Depends on your hours really.

I only work Tuesdays (6-10pm) and Sundays (12-8pm) so it's not really a problem for me. Either way I don't see it being a massive issue, chances are the majority of the people you will meet will also have part-time jobs like yourself.

Kinda unlikely tbh :tongue: Unless it's a uni dominated by locals.
Original post by FXX
Kinda unlikely tbh :tongue: Unless it's a uni dominated by locals.

And there was me thinking everybody was hard-working people like all of us here, how silly of me. :tongue:
Original post by Schumacher
And there was me thinking everybody was hard-working people like all of us here, how silly of me. :tongue:

Lol.
People with part time jobs here are in the minority, as there is quite a culture of the 'bank of mum and dad' still. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
Lol.
People with part time jobs here are in the minority, as there is quite a culture of the 'bank of mum and dad' still. :smile:

Really? I didn't think it was that bad.

Most of the people I know are all working part-time or at least looking for work anyway. Most of the people in my class work, with probably the exception of three or four people and there's around 20 in my group.
Of course you still get the ones that rely on mum and dad and aren't interested but when it comes to looking for a job they've got no chance so they can do what they like lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending