The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Surrey Biosciences 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by speedfreekk

I currently live in Twyford and it's far from a nightmare. Less than 5 minutes to lectures and it's the closest accommodation to Tesco

:/ but it's the furthest from the AY & AX department buildings. haha
omg i'm such a lazy person, i just realised.

i prefer the courts that are on the east side of the campus rather than the west, as its closer to the train station and i have to go to London every weekend. :biggrin:

oh and the laundrettes.. Is there just one specific place to do our laundry? or do each of the halls have its own place for the students in that specific building?
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by BethBeth

I picked Band D too, its my first choice :smile: Twyford is supposed to be really nice, but i'm lazy too and would love to just wander over to lecture 5 mins after I wake up :tongue:

Chemistry is hard.. At least it will be fresh in my head though, cos i'm doing it atm... not looking forward to the exams though :redface:

yeah. ;D I think personally Band D's the best. I'm not too keen on the idea of sharing to be honest. Plus for some of the Halls, you've got 14 people and how many bathrooms again? like.. 7? i can't remember.
Do you know how many people are in each corridor? or how does it work? the website wasn't too clear. :/

and i know! i know what you mean. ;D I'd like to just get up and walk to lectures in my pjs. i'm not too iffy about dressing up and stuff. and i did that on several occasions back when i was in high school last year. ;D it was pretty liberating. plus.. i like my sleep. ;D

yup. chem's hard. my bf's studying that at imperial, and he says that all the maths stuff that comes along with it, is a nightmare. o_o
ooh! good luck for your chem exam! when is it??

:/ i think i also have to look at maths. i basically forgot all about complex numbers and calculus. bah.
Fair enough but to be honest it's really no hassle having an extra 2 minutes to the journey. And lectures aren't really in the AX or AY buildings in first year, but the labs are there however. In Twyford it is 12 people per floor in most houses.
Reply 23
Original post by fishes.are.cold
yeah. ;D I think personally Band D's the best. I'm not too keen on the idea of sharing to be honest. Plus for some of the Halls, you've got 14 people and how many bathrooms again? like.. 7? i can't remember.
Do you know how many people are in each corridor? or how does it work? the website wasn't too clear. :/

and i know! i know what you mean. ;D I'd like to just get up and walk to lectures in my pjs. i'm not too iffy about dressing up and stuff. and i did that on several occasions back when i was in high school last year. ;D it was pretty liberating. plus.. i like my sleep. ;D

yup. chem's hard. my bf's studying that at imperial, and he says that all the maths stuff that comes along with it, is a nightmare. o_o
ooh! good luck for your chem exam! when is it??

:/ i think i also have to look at maths. i basically forgot all about complex numbers and calculus. bah.

I would prefer ensuite, i'm not too worried if I get shared though, most of my friends who are already at uni assured me that it's not as bad as people think :smile: The website didn't say anything specific... I think it's 10 -14 people per corridor depending on the court (for shared bathrooms) and perhaps a bit less for ensuite rooms?

Same, I'd rather be comfortable than all dressed up :tongue: And wow, there's no way I could do Chemistry at uni... think I'd die. :wink: Maths be my biggest challenge i think :colondollar: I have 3 exams :frown: A retake on 23rd May and then two A2 exams on 15th and 24th June. Thanks, I will need all the luck I can get! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

I would prefer ensuite, i'm not too worried if I get shared though, most of my friends who are already at uni assured me that it's not as bad as people think :smile: The website didn't say anything specific... I think it's 10 -14 people per corridor depending on the court (for shared bathrooms) and perhaps a bit less for ensuite rooms?

Same, I'd rather be comfortable than all dressed up :tongue: And wow, there's no way I could do Chemistry at uni... think I'd die. :wink: Maths be my biggest challenge i think :colondollar: I have 3 exams :frown: A retake on 23rd May and then two A2 exams on 15th and 24th June. Thanks, I will need all the luck I can get! :biggrin:

well i put en suite as my first and second choice (first choice in campus, second choice out of campus). :/ i get a little bit anal about cleanliness. and you never know what kind of person you'll get in your corridor. the thing that keeps on haunting me about shared bathrooms is that obviously you'll get people who go out drinking all the time and can't really handle it, so they end up getting sick. and if it's not going in the toilet.. it goes everywhere else. o_o so.. yeah. i get freaked out. haha.

and i know what you're talking about. :/ Chemistry would be a nightmare. Not the chemistry bit exactly, but he told me how most of it is basically physics and maths. and i was like 'oh god..' plus. this year, as his options, he took additional maths and physics. so that just raped him. but he's doing pretty well. :] still getting firsts. >=[ i envy that. it's so annoying, because he's one of those people that can actually cram at the last minute? and he just gets chemistry naturally. stupid brainiac. where as i actually have to prepare 3 months in advance for an exam. and i'm just like 'FUU'!
but yeah.
haha. maths. god i hate that subject. that was basically the bane of my existence. good thing though, we'll just be doing statistics and logarithms. not that much calculus. i guess the most we'll ever do for calculus is integration and differentiation. none of the taylor's series or mclaurin's stuff. :P that's for the chemists.

ooh, what subjects are you taking for a-level if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 25
well i put en suite as my first and second choice (first choice in campus, second choice out of campus). :/ i get a little bit anal about cleanliness. and you never know what kind of person you'll get in your corridor. the thing that keeps on haunting me about shared bathrooms is that obviously you'll get people who go out drinking all the time and can't really handle it, so they end up getting sick. and if it's not going in the toilet.. it goes everywhere else. o_o so.. yeah. i get freaked out. haha.

and i know what you're talking about. :/ Chemistry would be a nightmare. Not the chemistry bit exactly, but he told me how most of it is basically physics and maths. and i was like 'oh god..' plus. this year, as his options, he took additional maths and physics. so that just raped him. but he's doing pretty well. :] still getting firsts. >=[ i envy that. it's so annoying, because he's one of those people that can actually cram at the last minute? and he just gets chemistry naturally. stupid brainiac. where as i actually have to prepare 3 months in advance for an exam. and i'm just like 'FUU'!
but yeah.
haha. maths. god i hate that subject. that was basically the bane of my existence. good thing though, we'll just be doing statistics and logarithms. not that much calculus. i guess the most we'll ever do for calculus is integration and differentiation. none of the taylor's series or mclaurin's stuff. :P that's for the chemists.

ooh, what subjects are you taking for a-level if you don't mind me asking?

I'm just hoping that won't happen (the sick thing) :tongue: If it does I'll just have to get over it when I cross that bridge :wink: I hate Maths too! lol :biggrin: It's just 'meh' in my opinion - not my cup of tea :smile:

I don't know what integration or differentiation are... Nor do I want to atm :colondollar: I've heard my boyfriend mention them before, he's a bit of a clever clogs too... He's doing Physics with Astronomy. Crazy kid. :eek:

Ofc I don't mind- I'm currently on a Gap year. (Didn't know what course I wanted to do last year). I realised last august that I needed a Chem A Level, so thats what i'm doing this year :biggrin:

So I already have A Levels in Biology, Geography and French from last year :biggrin: How about you?

I'm just hoping that won't happen (the sick thing) :tongue: If it does I'll just have to get over it when I cross that bridge :wink: I hate Maths too! lol :biggrin: It's just 'meh' in my opinion - not my cup of tea :smile:

I don't know what integration or differentiation are... Nor do I want to atm :colondollar: I've heard my boyfriend mention them before, he's a bit of a clever clogs too... He's doing Physics with Astronomy. Crazy kid. :eek:

Ofc I don't mind- I'm currently on a Gap year. (Didn't know what course I wanted to do last year). I realised last august that I needed a Chem A Level, so thats what i'm doing this year :biggrin:

So I already have A Levels in Biology, Geography and French from last year :biggrin: How about you?

D: Arghh: the sick thing. ;D yeah, i'm going to prepare myself for that. i wonder how bad it'll actually get during fresher's week. ;D

Lol, trust me. you don't want to do it. i mean, it's not that bad. Just when the questions gets harder it's like.. Staring at the same question on the paper for about 10 minutes.. Then just getting frustrated.. Then thinking you've got it, so you get all excited.. But then you realise you got it wrong after all. =|

;D wow! Physics with Astronomy? geez. wellll, if worse comes to worst, then we'll just ask our boyfriends for answers. ;D they can't say no. .. i think. :P

Ooh, you're taking a gap year as well? So am i!

Ouch. Chemistry in one year. o_o How're you handling it?? Is it okai?

;D I didn't do the A-Levels. I took the IB instead (Big mistake.. Ever)

English Standard Level
French Standard Level
Physics SL
Maths Higher Level
Biology HL
Chemistry HL

D:

Fair enough but to be honest it's really no hassle having an extra 2 minutes to the journey. And lectures aren't really in the AX or AY buildings in first year, but the labs are there however. In Twyford it is 12 people per floor in most houses.

Haha. ;D That may be true, but when i looked at the map, my first thoughts were '.. Nope. No way am I walking all that way'
If I have to, I'll buy a bicycle :P

Speaking of accommodation, is it easy to find housing after your first year? and what's the general price per week (I'm guessing they do it by the week rather than per month? as that's how they do it in london. :s-smilie:)
Reply 28
D: Arghh: the sick thing. ;D yeah, i'm going to prepare myself for that. i wonder how bad it'll actually get during fresher's week. ;D

Lol, trust me. you don't want to do it. i mean, it's not that bad. Just when the questions gets harder it's like.. Staring at the same question on the paper for about 10 minutes.. Then just getting frustrated.. Then thinking you've got it, so you get all excited.. But then you realise you got it wrong after all. =|

;D wow! Physics with Astronomy? geez. wellll, if worse comes to worst, then we'll just ask our boyfriends for answers. ;D they can't say no. .. i think. :P

Ooh, you're taking a gap year as well? So am i!

Ouch. Chemistry in one year. o_o How're you handling it?? Is it okai?

;D I didn't do the A-Levels. I took the IB instead (Big mistake.. Ever)

English Standard Level
French Standard Level
Physics SL
Maths Higher Level
Biology HL
Chemistry HL

D:

Yeah, i'll just hide in my room if the sick thing is bad ;P Yeah, I don't want to do it, I struggled with GCSE enough :tongue: :frown: I honestly don't know how my bf does all that maths and physics... it looks horrendously difficult :confused: You're right though, he'll help me if I get stuck. :wink:

Awesome, gap years for us. I'm just working part-time and go to college 2 days a week. How about you? I think i'm managing with Chem so far... Took Unit 1 + 2 in January, and got A's.. (Only just in one though). The real test is the A2 exams, they're gonna be so hard :frown: Practical exams have been sent off now too, so not much more to do. Except revise. :cool:

Wow I heard that IB was a bit insane, lol. Was it over 2 years? I struggled doing 4 subjects at AS... and ended up dropping one. 6 is crazy :eek: I'm sure you did well though if you got into Surrey :smile:

Yeah, i'll just hide in my room if the sick thing is bad ;P Yeah, I don't want to do it, I struggled with GCSE enough :tongue: :frown: I honestly don't know how my bf does all that maths and physics... it looks horrendously difficult :confused: You're right though, he'll help me if I get stuck. :wink:

Awesome, gap years for us. I'm just working part-time and go to college 2 days a week. How about you? I think i'm managing with Chem so far... Took Unit 1 + 2 in January, and got A's.. (Only just in one though). The real test is the A2 exams, they're gonna be so hard :frown: Practical exams have been sent off now too, so not much more to do. Except revise. :cool:

Wow I heard that IB was a bit insane, lol. Was it over 2 years? I struggled doing 4 subjects at AS... and ended up dropping one. 6 is crazy :eek: I'm sure you did well though if you got into Surrey :smile:

;D And not take a shower for like a day.
Okai. =| I really need to get an en suite. I just have to. D: Great. Now i'm worried. Do you have any idea when they'll confirm it?

Hahaa. I know! The physics and maths stuff! Jeez. D: My brain would just melt.
D: I need to find a proper job. Like Seriously. But it's kinda difficult because of the language. :/ I live in Belgium you see. Andddd, they speak either french or dutch or both. And yeah, I can speak french fairly fluently so I'm fine with that. o_o But we'll see. Sometimes they require both languages. :/
But i'm in korea at the moment. For like 2 weeks. :/ I return to belgium on the 17th. And from then on i'll start running around the city, handing out CVs. ;D But for the moment, I just tutor english. :]

Ooh, how did you do in your practicals then??

Yeah.. IB was pretty crazy. :/ I got a lower mark than my prediction. So i was in tears because of that. Last year i got an offer for Med Chem from Edinburgh, but I didn't reach the offer, so I retook my exams back in November and reapplied. :/ Was hoping to get into UCL for Med Chem again.. But only got an interview. and I was SO sure that i'd get in, because as far as interviews went, mine was pretty good. But i didn't manage to get in.

It's okai though. :] I'm really happy with Surrey and when I visited there in April with my boyfriend, i fell in love with the place. ;D And the ducks as well. We just started feeding the ducks rice krispies. o_O Almost thought we killed one of them. And plus there's the added fact that Med Chem wouldn't really suit me. :/ I only applied because i'd get to be closer to my boyfriend.
We both agreed that if I was in london.. We'd both get distracted and basically see each other every day. ;D So that's not really good considering our work. So Surrey's definitely the place for me. :]

Is your offer an unconditional one?
Reply 30
;D

Heeey, sorry for the slow reply, I've been ridiculously busy over the past couple of days.. Revision + Overtime = Burnt out :yawn:

I honestly don't know when they'll get back to us, I don't even know when the deadline is for accommodation :s-smilie: Yeah, Belgium seem a little awkward with their languages :colondollar: I went to Rock Werchter last year thinking "Oh, I'll get by someone's bound to know French!" and all I got was weird or angry looks when I started speaking to people. Heh. :biggrin: French A Level was HARD, don't think I'd survive having to speak it constantly :eek:

That's a shame about the UCL thing, I had a similar situation where I was devastated that Southampton didn't do the course I wanted to do... but I'd fallen in love with the Uni... (plus my boyfriend goes there). :colondollar:

Then I found Surrey and fell in love MORE :biggrin: It's not far on the train to London so you'll be okay. :wink: The ducks were awesome, Rice Crispies was an unusual choice of food? You were carrying a box of them around on the Open Day? :tongue:

I wish my offer was unconditional! :wink: Nah it's conditional of me getting an A in Chemistry... :frown: Which is a tall order, I'm panicking about falling short and getting a B, but hopefully with a bit of luck and lots of praying for easy papers I'll be fine :smile: I won't find out what I got in my practicals until August... They're externally marked, which is rubbish! :frown: How about you? I'm guessing you have a lovely Unconditional offer? :wink:

Btw, tutoring English in Korea or Belgium??? :colondollar: Hope you're having a great time! :smile:

Heeey, sorry for the slow reply, I've been ridiculously busy over the past couple of days.. Revision + Overtime = Burnt out :yawn:

I honestly don't know when they'll get back to us, I don't even know when the deadline is for accommodation :s-smilie: Yeah, Belgium seem a little awkward with their languages :colondollar: I went to Rock Werchter last year thinking "Oh, I'll get by someone's bound to know French!" and all I got was weird or angry looks when I started speaking to people. Heh. :biggrin: French A Level was HARD, don't think I'd survive having to speak it constantly :eek:

That's a shame about the UCL thing, I had a similar situation where I was devastated that Southampton didn't do the course I wanted to do... but I'd fallen in love with the Uni... (plus my boyfriend goes there). :colondollar:

Then I found Surrey and fell in love MORE :biggrin: It's not far on the train to London so you'll be okay. :wink: The ducks were awesome, Rice Crispies was an unusual choice of food? You were carrying a box of them around on the Open Day? :tongue:

I wish my offer was unconditional! :wink: Nah it's conditional of me getting an A in Chemistry... :frown: Which is a tall order, I'm panicking about falling short and getting a B, but hopefully with a bit of luck and lots of praying for easy papers I'll be fine :smile: I won't find out what I got in my practicals until August... They're externally marked, which is rubbish! :frown: How about you? I'm guessing you have a lovely Unconditional offer? :wink:

Btw, tutoring English in Korea or Belgium??? :colondollar: Hope you're having a great time! :smile:

;D I can imagine how tired you must be so it's totally okai.

:/ well, the thing about belgium is that you've got the flemish and the wallonians (the french speaking people) and they basically hate each other. ;D chances are the country's going to split into two separate nations; the country still doesn't have a proper government.

:/ shame about southampton.. but southampton isn't too far from surrey is it? so it shouldn't be too bad, right? i applied to southampton for biochem and was struggling to choose between southampton and surrey, but i decided on surrey instead. ;D boyfriends do play a role in uni choices. :P i guess that means we'll be going off during the weekends to southampton and london. but hey! we can't do all the work, they'll have to come over as well! which reminds me.. i need to buy a student rail card as well. hm.

hahaa. well my boyfriend and i were just visiting the uni, not during one of its open days and his mom packed us a lunch. so we had a picnic by the lake and suddenly all these ducks started coming towards us, one in particular, so i fed that one some of my bread and it just kept on coming back for more. and all i had left was a packet of rice krispies so i thought 'what the heck, i'll try anyways' ;D and my boyfriend was like 'we'll probably end up killing them' but luckily we didnt! ;D it just started to choke a little. started making these strange.. rasping sounds. so yeah.

ahh. i'm sure you'll reach your offer though. :] if surrey's your first choice, what's your insurance then? fingers crossed that you'll get into surrey though!

and yeah, i've got an unconditional offer. D: so i can relax.

nahh, i just went on holiday to korea. ;D and i just got back on tuesday. o_o let the job hunting begin..

good luck with your studies! :]

sorry about the late reply. :/ i didn't actually see this until just now.
ah well ;D i just hope i get a place in campus.
i have a question though, if you don't mind me asking.
how busy is your week on average? as in, how many classes/lectures/labs do you have in a day?
sorry about the late reply. :/ i didn't actually see this until just now.
ah well ;D i just hope i get a place in campus.
i have a question though, if you don't mind me asking.
how busy is your week on average? as in, how many classes/lectures/labs do you have in a day?

It really varies each week. Usually we have one to three 3 hour lab sessions per week. Lecture wise it can be between one and 7 per day, and the timetable currently changes each week. Some days you may have nothing on whereas others you can be really busy. Lectures aren't compulsory and labs are compulsory. But obv if you wanna do well i would go to them otherwise you won't have a clue.

It really varies each week. Usually we have one to three 3 hour lab sessions per week. Lecture wise it can be between one and 7 per day, and the timetable currently changes each week. Some days you may have nothing on whereas others you can be really busy. Lectures aren't compulsory and labs are compulsory. But obv if you wanna do well i would go to them otherwise you won't have a clue.

thanks. :]

andddd, there is no way i'm skipping lectures. :/ i really don't like going through books and trying to find out what i've missed.
Reply 35
;D I can imagine how tired you must be so it's totally okai.

:/ well, the thing about belgium is that you've got the flemish and the wallonians (the french speaking people) and they basically hate each other. ;D chances are the country's going to split into two separate nations; the country still doesn't have a proper government.

:/ shame about southampton.. but southampton isn't too far from surrey is it? so it shouldn't be too bad, right? i applied to southampton for biochem and was struggling to choose between southampton and surrey, but i decided on surrey instead. ;D boyfriends do play a role in uni choices. :P i guess that means we'll be going off during the weekends to southampton and london. but hey! we can't do all the work, they'll have to come over as well! which reminds me.. i need to buy a student rail card as well. hm.

hahaa. well my boyfriend and i were just visiting the uni, not during one of its open days and his mom packed us a lunch. so we had a picnic by the lake and suddenly all these ducks started coming towards us, one in particular, so i fed that one some of my bread and it just kept on coming back for more. and all i had left was a packet of rice krispies so i thought 'what the heck, i'll try anyways' ;D and my boyfriend was like 'we'll probably end up killing them' but luckily we didnt! ;D it just started to choke a little. started making these strange.. rasping sounds. so yeah.

ahh. i'm sure you'll reach your offer though. :] if surrey's your first choice, what's your insurance then? fingers crossed that you'll get into surrey though!

and yeah, i've got an unconditional offer. D: so i can relax.

nahh, i just went on holiday to korea. ;D and i just got back on tuesday. o_o let the job hunting begin..

good luck with your studies! :]

Howdy! :smile: First of all, sorry its been such a long time since I replied, things were a bit crazy. But exams are all over and done with now and I've had a good old relax now :biggrin:

Yeah Southampton is not too far away by train, luckily the trains will be cheap as I can cut London out of the journey :wink: I would seriously recommend getting a railcard - mine was £26 last September, and it has saved me so much money! About £450 :eek: because I was getting the train to college twice a week plus other travelling. Definitely worth the investment :biggrin:

I'm glad the ducks weren't harmed by their rice crispy treat :wink:

I want 18th August to hurry up so badly so I can find out if I get into Surrey! The admissions tutor mentioned if we just miss our offer we may still be accepted - depending on how much they like you at interview. (Fingers crossed). :cool:
My insurance is Plymouth and they only want a C! ....but I really don't want to go there :colondollar: heh.

Oooh Korea, hope you had a great time! How is the job hunting going?
Reply 36
I can guarantee you guys gonna have an amazing time in Surrey :wink:
I'm a second year Biomedical Science student and i'll be standing in front of Twyford court in induction week. (i'm going to be a fresher's angel)
feel free to ask any questions you guys may have, I'm more than happy to answer. =)
Hey i applied for MedChem, but i've realized that i'd actually rather do BioChem, how easy do you reckon it'd be to change course?
By the way i'm in Guildford Court. :biggrin:
Reply 38
Isnt it that most of the biomed/biochem/genetics students are usually in the same lectures just because we all have alot of the same first year modules??

would be cool as we get to know more people/potentialy find out whether we want to swap into a different course!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending