Lancaster
Visit website

Official Lancaster University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by BeccaCath94
Ah yes thank you :smile:
But it came in the post today!! :biggrin:

I havent looked at it in detail yet, but you know theres all the colleges, how do you decide which to go to? Is it personal prefernce or are they related to the courses?

I also read in my local paper yesterday about a 'Roses' battle between Lacaster and York universities... (since im from York) I dont know if I could pledge my alligence to the opposition...I never really thought about that before! :eek:

It's completely your choice as to the college. It's based on accommodation not course :h:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

I havent looked at it in detail yet, but you know theres all the colleges, how do you decide which to go to? Is it personal prefernce or are they related to the courses?

I also read in my local paper yesterday about a 'Roses' battle between Lacaster and York universities... (since im from York) I dont know if I could pledge my alligence to the opposition...I never really thought about that before! :eek:

You can pick any college you like. There are no course-based limitations.
Some departments are located in certain colleges - eg, Politics being based on County, History in Furness etc. But, that doesn't really matter. People tend to pick based on the accommodation types, the costs attached to those and whereabouts they are located on campus. :smile:

All the hype for Roses only really happens in the few weeks before it and if you are not part of a sports team/going as a spectator, it can completely pass you by. So, I wouldn't worry about pledging your allegiance, although of course you would support Lancaster once you got here lol. :tongue:
Reply 222

dont even think about :P you come here, you support Lancashire :P
Reply 223
Original post by J1mjam

I don't support Lancashire, I support Lancaster Uni :fyi:
Reply 224
Original post by cambo211
I don't support Lancashire, I support Lancaster Uni :fyi:

*gives evils* :P hehehe. im quite a 'patriot' of my county. must have something to do with having a Wigan Warriors seasons ticket for 9 years. love giving those yorkshire teams stick xD. its not like they dont give it back mind.

Haha, yeah, the Roses is a tradition.

It is essentially a competition that takes place every year between each Universities sports clubs. Every sport that both Universities do compete over the course of a long weekend.

It is at York this year, starting on Friday.
Original post by affinity89
You can pick any college you like. There are no course-based limitations.
Some departments are located in certain colleges - eg, Politics being based on County, History in Furness etc. But, that doesn't really matter. People tend to pick based on the accommodation types, the costs attached to those and whereabouts they are located on campus. :smile:

All the hype for Roses only really happens in the few weeks before it and if you are not part of a sports team/going as a spectator, it can completely pass you by. So, I wouldn't worry about pledging your allegiance, although of course you would support Lancaster once you got here lol. :tongue:

Ahh ok thank you :smile:

Haha no i will not be supporting lancashire...yorkshire all the way!!!! woo!!! :biggrin:
Yeah thats what i thought...i doubt i'll be doing any of the sports anyway...
Original post by J1mjam

Nope...yorkshire for me!
Is there alot of people from yorkshire at lancaster?
Original post by mackemforever
Haha, yeah, the Roses is a tradition.

It is essentially a competition that takes place every year between each Universities sports clubs. Every sport that both Universities do compete over the course of a long weekend.

It is at York this year, starting on Friday.

Yes so I saw :smile:
Does it alternate each year?
Original post by J1mjam
*gives evils* :P hehehe. im quite a 'patriot' of my county. must have something to do with having a Wigan Warriors seasons ticket for 9 years. love giving those yorkshire teams stick xD. its not like they dont give it back mind.

:O :eek: Im yorkshire born. yorkshire bred so...
Reply 230
Original post by RabbitCFH
Never witnessed any racism. :smile:

Though my friend once called me a racist (not seriously) when I said I wanted some chicken, Kool-Aid and watermelon. :tongue:

LOL.Thats funny.

Do you know anyone reading a PPE degree, if so are they enjoying it. Furthermore, how is the teaching at Lancaster?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 231
Original post by J1mjam
dont blame you, the whole point of having an engine is to make some noise

Do you know anyone reading a PPE degree, if so are they enjoying it. Furthermore, how is the teaching at Lancaster?
Yes so I saw :smile:
Does it alternate each year?

It does.
So, if you start at Lancaster in 2011, it will be in Lancaster twice whilst you are here. :smile:

I went down [as in to the playing fields at the front of campus] to support a few friends last year and the atmosphere was great. This year though, it falls when I have work and my first exam is Monday, so I can't really justify going over to York. Still, I am sure those there will have a great time. :smile:

And, think of it as York Uni vs Lancs Uni - after all, that is what it is. That way, you can support Lancs Uni!
Original post by Millz

One of my mates is doing PPE.

He really enjoys it.

His opinion of the course is that the content is good, all of his lecturers except for his current Economics lecturer have been very good and the amount of work has been about right for a first year.

He also loves the Philosophy society, as do I! Despite not being a philosophy student I go along frequently because their weekly meeting takes place in Trevor (Furness College's bar) and essentially is just a chance to drink & debate various issues. The drinking usually takes priority but it is a rare chance to drink while actually talking about something that makes you think!

If you've got any more specific questions I'd be happy to ask him for you.
Just had my last ever undergrad seminar. It feels good! :biggrin:

But, that could also be because of all the drinks I've had since then in Trev lol. :biggrin:

It's a good feeling that last lecture/seminar isn't it!
I had mine before Easter and it all feels very strange. Just 6 exams between now and the big wide world... Shame they're worth 90% of the year so quite important!!
It does.
So, if you start at Lancaster in 2011, it will be in Lancaster twice whilst you are here. :smile:

I went down [as in to the playing fields at the front of campus] to support a few friends last year and the atmosphere was great. This year though, it falls when I have work and my first exam is Monday, so I can't really justify going over to York. Still, I am sure those there will have a great time. :smile:

And, think of it as York Uni vs Lancs Uni - after all, that is what it is. That way, you can support Lancs Uni!

I'll be starting in 2012 actually so it'll be in york twice!! :biggrin:

Yes its only a bit of fun...but i might have to support both!!
Reply 236
Nope...yorkshire for me!
Is there alot of people from yorkshire at lancaster?

:O :eek: Im yorkshire born. yorkshire bred so...

haha you replied back to two of my posts separately :P when yorkshire teams start shouting yorkshire, Lancashire teams start shouting your-****. aannnyyways, my flat mate is from yorkshire. and so is another of my friends. we all went to visit them in leeds during the holidays. another of my friends supports Leeds rugby, but he comes from IOM. pfft. i jest with the whole Lancs/yorks stuff. its just banter
Original post by J1mjam
haha you replied back to two of my posts separately :P when yorkshire teams start shouting yorkshire, Lancashire teams start shouting your-****. aannnyyways, my flat mate is from yorkshire. and so is another of my friends. we all went to visit them in leeds during the holidays. another of my friends supports Leeds rugby, but he comes from IOM. pfft. i jest with the whole Lancs/yorks stuff. its just banter

Yeah haha i get what you mean im just joking!! haha

What are you studying?
Is anyone doing or know someone doing (BA) hons in Advertising and Marketting?
Reply 239
Yeah haha i get what you mean im just joking!! haha

What are you studying?

Computer Science :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest