The Student Room Group

DSA needs assessment on Monday

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
My supplier quoted installation in the presence of the student, erm... have they asked me if I want a stranger sits on my sofa drinking my tea for a whole day doing sth a 3 years old is perfectly capable of doing?
Original post by ExTraP
My supplier quoted installation in the presence of the student, erm... have they asked me if I want a stranger sits on my sofa drinking my tea for a whole day doing sth a 3 years old is perfectly capable of doing?

I have the same issue. Epic social phobia and fear of strangers so they're gonna send one into my bedroom to plug in my laptop and peripherals.
Reply 182
I have just emailed them telling them I want to install the stuff myself, so they can come, drop the boxes and go home. I don't mind having a stranger in my flat for an afternoon but it really isn't necessary. If I install things myself, I can do so when I am naked!!! :eek:

Well obviously, it's a joke. :colondollar:
Original post by ExTraP
I have just emailed them telling them I want to install the stuff myself, so they can come, drop the boxes and go home. I don't mind having a stranger in my flat for an afternoon but it really isn't necessary. If I install things myself, I can do so when I am naked!!! :eek:

Well obviously, it's a joke. :colondollar:

I tried that and they said no. They're coming twice - first to 'set up' my MacBook and again to set up my printer. I have no words.
Reply 184
in that case, make sure you work them really really hard and do not offer them any tea. How about getting them to move your printer from this corner to that and then from that to the table in the far end and then back again... I think it'd be fun. And how about the scanner? Are they not gonna install that? Well, I think they should come back for a 3rd time to install that and then maybe you could consider making them 1 small cup of tea!

There people are stupid... very stupid.
(edited 12 years ago)
I have my appointment tomorrow! Anything I might need but haven't thought of?
Reply 186
erm... what have you thought about so far?? I only had a couple of days between the letter from SFE and my appointment, so I just went there and let the assessor lead the session, which was fine, but I did have a few things I forgot. I was told by my tutor to go in and tell them my worst day, but then I always thing it's not the best idea. I wouldn't worry too much because they are very specific questions and if anything you will have a few days at least between your asssessment and the report being sent to SFE, so maybe ask the assessor if you could contact them after tomorrow in case you forgot to mention something important?
Original post by ExTraP
erm... what have you thought about so far?? I only had a couple of days between the letter from SFE and my appointment, so I just went there and let the assessor lead the session, which was fine, but I did have a few things I forgot. I was told by my tutor to go in and tell them my worst day, but then I always thing it's not the best idea. I wouldn't worry too much because they are very specific questions and if anything you will have a few days at least between your asssessment and the report being sent to SFE, so maybe ask the assessor if you could contact them after tomorrow in case you forgot to mention something important?

That sounds like a good idea. I've just thought about my symptoms and written down some exam dates in case they ask and that's about it really.
Reply 188
I have been emailing mine ever since my assessment, coz he cock up with a couple of things...
(edited 12 years ago)
I told my mum that it looks like I'm getting at least some of my stuff (from the letter Goldsmiths sent: still no sign of SFE letter to me) and she's proposed not only a tidy up of my room but a huge rearrangement of it :eek2:
Reply 190
That's good, that's what mums are for!!!
I'm just having a last minute worry. You know the report? Is it ok if I get them to send it to my firm even though I haven't actually met the offer yet? :s
Original post by ExTraP
That's good, that's what mums are for!!!

Well it would be me tidying and my dad rearranging :biggrin:

Original post by diamonddust
I'm just having a last minute worry. You know the report? Is it ok if I get them to send it to my firm even though I haven't actually met the offer yet? :s

I wouldn't really know but I imagine that should be fine. After all, that's what most people in your position would be doing, wouldn't it? :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Even better!! :biggrin:
Reply 194

I think it's the place where you want to go to that gets the offer? Did you have to state which university you intend to go to on the form?

Both myself and The_Lonely_Goatherd are already on a course, so it might be slightly straight forward. But then I am switching...

Goldsmiths here I come!!! :colone:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

I wouldn't really know but I imagine that should be fine. After all, that's what most people in your position would be doing, wouldn't it? :smile:

Haha, I assume so! Thanks! It was a *little* bit of a silly worry... :redface: :tongue:
I tried to post right after my assessment but it didn't come through. It was suprisingly... ok!

SmallTownGirl
X

I quoted you in because I promised to PM you but I thought it might be better if I posted it here so others can see if they also have the same issues/worries. :smile:

I arrived about 10 minutes before my appointment and I was really nervous during the wait (especially as I'd been on a crowded train to get there) but the receptionist made me feel really calm and offered me magazines and a drink of water.

The first thing my assessor told me was that he wasn't there to judge, he was there to see what he could do to make things easier. He had to go and check that the assessment was ok for conditional offer holders, which it was and then he started the assessment which was basically him just asking me questions written down on sheets of paper. There were different sections so there were course specific questions about how your course is assessed and what method(s) it is delivered in and there were also sections for studying, library research, writing, reading, mobility and exams and whether you have a computer or not and more sections that I can't remember.

It was pretty boring actually. So I answered the questions and he showed me some computer software (something that reads text aloud) and asked me what I thought about it. At the end of the session he summarised what he was recommending me and asked if I wanted a draft report.

My recommendations were:
-A mentor for motivation and study skills help.

-A dictaphone in case my concentration got really bad and my notes weren't sufficient.

-The thing I'm really pleased about: the software that reads text aloud (he actually wasn't going to recommend it because he didn't want me to become reliant on it but I'm not going to use it if I can actually read and take it in, that's just lazy! I'm sick of crying over books because I can't take them in properly! Hopefully I'll get to a point where I don't need it.)

-A scanner so I can scan books in.

-He recommended free kindle software that apparently lets you download ebooks and reads it aloud to you.
-
A desktop computer because I steal my sister's laptop and tend to panic when I try to work in libraries. I'm going to upgrade to a laptop and pay the difference. I was planning on buying a Macbook Pro this summer (with my own money) but the software won't work on it so as long as the laptop I get from DSA is really light, I'm happy!

He also recommended things like rest breaks during exams if I need to eat/clear my head and he said he'd talk to UEA's accommodation about putting me in with mostly postgrads because they'll *hopefully* be cleaner and I won't need to worry unnecessarily about the communal kitchen and germs but I'm not sure about that one because it might stop me making friends my age?

And I got a photocopy allowance (so I can photocopy pages from books and scan them in) and a book allowance for disability related books (so I don't suppose I'll be using the book allowance really.)

I actually never thought I'd get so much. Or anything, really! I never thought of things like talking to accommodation and photocopy allowance and I feel a bit overwhelmed by it all. I'm really grateful for the help because I was worrying so much about uni and now I feel better knowing I have things and people in place to help me. Now I just need to get the grades... :afraid: *goes to revise*

Hope that helped SmallTownGirl- just out of interest, is your username Glee related or are you just a Journey fan? :tongue:

ExTraP, I've just realised you and The Lonely Goatherd (lay lay lay oh lee hee hee! Sorry. :redface:) are both going to be at Goldsmiths! That's pretty cool. :biggrin: /random

Edit: Damn this is an epically long post. Sorry...
(edited 12 years ago)
I tried to post right after my assessment but it didn't come through. It was suprisingly... ok!

I quoted you in because I promised to PM you but I thought it might be better if I posted it here so others can see if they also have the same issues/worries. :smile:

I arrived about 10 minutes before my appointment and I was really nervous during the wait (especially as I'd been on a crowded train to get there) but the receptionist made me feel really calm and offered me magazines and a drink of water.

The first thing my assessor told me was that he wasn't there to judge, he was there to see what he could do to make things easier. He had to go and check that the assessment was ok for conditional offer holders, which it was and then he started the assessment which was basically him just asking me questions written down on sheets of paper. There were different sections so there were course specific questions about how your course is assessed and what method(s) it is delivered in and there were also sections for studying, library research, writing, reading, mobility and exams and whether you have a computer or not and more sections that I can't remember.

It was pretty boring actually. So I answered the questions and he showed me some computer software (something that reads text aloud) and asked me what I thought about it. At the end of the session he summarised what he was recommending me and asked if I wanted a draft report.

My recommendations were:
-A mentor for motivation and study skills help.

-A dictaphone in case my concentration got really bad and my notes weren't sufficient.

-The thing I'm really pleased about: the software that reads text aloud (he actually wasn't going to recommend it because he didn't want me to become reliant on it but I'm not going to use it if I can actually read and take it in, that's just lazy! I'm sick of crying over books because I can't take them in properly! Hopefully I'll get to a point where I don't need it.)

-A scanner so I can scan books in.

-He recommended free kindle software that apparently lets you download ebooks and reads it aloud to you.
-
A desktop computer because I steal my sister's laptop and tend to panic when I try to work in libraries. I'm going to upgrade to a laptop and pay the difference. I was planning on buying a Macbook Pro this summer (with my own money) but the software won't work on it so as long as the laptop I get from DSA is really light, I'm happy!

He also recommended things like rest breaks during exams if I need to eat/clear my head and he said he'd talk to UEA's accommodation about putting me in with mostly postgrads because they'll *hopefully* be cleaner and I won't need to worry unnecessarily about the communal kitchen and germs but I'm not sure about that one because it might stop me making friends my age?

And I got a photocopy allowance (so I can photocopy pages from books and scan them in) and a book allowance for disability related books (so I don't suppose I'll be using the book allowance really.)

I actually never thought I'd get so much. Or anything, really! I never thought of things like talking to accommodation and photocopy allowance and I feel a bit overwhelmed by it all. I'm really grateful for the help because I was worrying so much about uni and now I feel better knowing I have things and people in place to help me. Now I just need to get the grades... :afraid: *goes to revise*

Hope that helped SmallTownGirl- just out of interest, is your username Glee related or are you just a Journey fan? :tongue:

ExTraP, I've just realised you and The Lonely Goatherd (lay lay lay oh lee hee hee! Sorry. :redface:) are both going to be at Goldsmiths! That's pretty cool. :biggrin: /random

Edit: Damn this is an epically long post. Sorry...

Wow. I just organised my needs assessment today. It's reassuring to know yours went well.

And yep, I started using TSR right after Glee started and I am a 'small town girl, living in a lonely world...'
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Wow. I just organised my needs assessment today. It's reassuring to know yours went well.

And yep, I started using TSR right after Glee started and I am a 'small town girl, living in a lonely world...'

:hugs:
*sings back* Don't stop believing! :smile:
:hugs:
*sings back* Don't stop believing! :smile:

Yay. Is it bad that I'm now really regretting not putting that I wanted a studio flat on my accommodation application? My mother thinks I won't make friends that way but I just want control of my food.

Quick Reply

Latest