The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quackers93
Erm dunno it could be. But then again we have applied science for OCR so maybe not :tongue: science in society is just rubbish and general science where the exam is just pointless :/ did my paper, marked it and on the Mark scheme one of the answers just stated what was said in the question when I'd put the actualy biology behind it but never got the marks :/ *shakes fist at examiner person* ah wells be dine and dusted soon :biggrin:

If anyone gets the chance to pick between science in society and extended project pick the extended project! I know from experience :tongue:

LOL - who wouldn't - extended project would be so cool - shame my school didn't allow me to do it :frown: - apparently it was only offered to people at my school with 8 A*s or above at GCSE (on results day) - at the time I had 6 A*s, and got 2 remarked later which got me to 8 A*s :biggrin:
Does sheffield want a 4th AS subject? :-S I am so confused because it says nothing like that on ucas and on their website its a different story.by the way both are updated :-S
(edited 12 years ago)
Is it possible to get into kings or imperial with 3As and a B (AS) decent gcses (8A* 4A) and a good ukcat/bmat
Original post by cute_wish
Does sheffield want a 4th AS subject? :-S I am so confused because it says nothing like that on ucas and on their website its a different story.by the way both are updated :-S

If it says it on their website...

Spoiler

Original post by thegodofgod
LOL - who wouldn't - extended project would be so cool - shame my school didn't allow me to do it :frown: - apparently it was only offered to people at my school with 8 A*s or above at GCSE (on results day) - at the time I had 6 A*s, and got 2 remarked later which got me to 8 A*s :biggrin:

Absolute bummer :/ you should try and see if you can take it up in your second year. We could only do it in our second :tongue: bad news but also good news about your gcses : similar happened to me by with 5A* to 7 :tongue: it shouldnt matter how many A*s you get, it doesn't necessarily affect how you'll do :rolleyes:
hey, umm im kinda new and just wanted a bit of advice on how to increase my chances of getting a place at med school. any advice would be greatly appreciated! ty
Reply 2786
Original post by Jabbo12
18 and my parents have being paying tax and I will be paying tax for as long as I live here. When I say internationals, I mean their parents those dimwits out there who take everything incredibly literally.

Dude, let me tell you straight: you get a maintenance loan/grant to help your ass whereas non-UK nationals don't get a dime for that. They have to work for a living. And, trust me, they're going to pay taxes just like you.
Reply 2787
Original post by fodé
Dude, let me tell you straight: you get a maintenance loan/grant to help your ass whereas non-UK nationals don't get a dime for that. They have to work for a living. And, trust me, they're going to pay taxes just like you.

Not everyone gets a grant. Again, it's the middle class who get ****ed.
Original post by Jabbo12
Not everyone gets a grant. Again, it's the middle class who get ****ed.

ermm yes, they do

or at least, can
Original post by POWCATTY
hey, umm im kinda new and just wanted a bit of advice on how to increase my chances of getting a place at med school. any advice would be greatly appreciated! ty

-> Get 600 questions UKCAT book and try to ace UKCAT.

-> Apply to your strengths: 8A*+ is good for Birmingham, Oxford, Bristol etc, a good UKCAT means the likes of Sheffield (though their cut off this year might be like 720+), Manchester, Glasgow. Strong PS means Keele (and UEA?).

-> Get a long-term volunteer placement working with disabled people, OAPs etc. But don't do this just for the application or you will learn nothing from it.

-> Try to get some work exp in a GP surgery and/or hospital so you get insight into what medical life is like. And get extra currics.

-> When it comes to writing your PS, TSR has a PS section where current med students will read it for you and tell you where to improve. Use it. :smile:

-> For interviews: smile, be yourself, look at the interviewers. Know your stuff, be careful with what you say in case you get drilled (e.g. don't imply you know lots about a kind of operation because they will grill you). And reflect on what your extra currics/work exp/voluntary stuff taught you. Beska posted something really useful, I'll edit it in when I find it.

And don't panic if you don't get in! 80% of applicants get straight rejections. Work on your A2/AHs and reapply the next year. :smile:

Read this book, I found it in the library a few days ago and I can't recommend it enough, it shows you how scary medical life can be (in 1994, a junior doctor called Alan Massie died after working a continuous 86 hour shift in obs & gynae :frown:, 7/10 of the professions with the highest suicide rate are medical-related). It also talks about the history of the NHS and the NHS' faults. And it's written in a really easy to read way.

Seriously guys, read the book!!
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
-> Get 600 questions UKCAT book and try to ace UKCAT.

-> Apply to your strengths: 8A*+ is good for Birmingham, Oxford, Bristol etc, a good UKCAT means the likes of Sheffield (though their cut off this year might be like 720+), Manchester, Glasgow. Strong PS means Keele (and UEA?).

-> Get a long-term volunteer placement working with disabled people, OAPs etc. But don't do this just for the application or you will learn nothing from it.

-> Try to get some work exp in a GP surgery and/or hospital so you get insight into what medical life is like. And get extra currics.

-> When it comes to writing your PS, TSR has a PS section where current med students will read it for you and tell you where to improve. Use it. :smile:

-> For interviews: smile, be yourself, look at the interviewers. Know your stuff, be careful with what you say in case you get drilled (e.g. don't imply you know lots about a kind of operation because they will grill you). And reflect on what your extra currics/work exp/voluntary stuff taught you. Beska posted something really useful, I'll edit it in when I find it.

And don't panic if you don't get in! 80% of applicants get straight rejections. Work on your A2/AHs and reapply the next year. :smile:

Read this book, I found it in the library a few days ago and I can't recommend it enough, it shows you how scary medical life can be (in 1994, a junior doctor called Alan Massie died after working a continuous 86 hour shift in obs & gynae :frown:, 7/10 of the professions with the highest suicide rate are medical-related). It also talks about the history of the NHS and the NHS' faults. And it's written in a really easy to read way.

Seriously guys, read the book!!

I have no time for books :cool:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I have no time for books :cool:

Well you're stuck with medicine now. :p:
Reply 2792
Study leave from today! I can't believe it's getting closer and closer to applying. :redface:
Original post by liviaaa
Study leave from today! I can't believe it's getting closer and closer to applying. :redface:

Enjoy it while it lasts :wink:
Reply 2794
Enjoy it while it lasts :wink:

Why? I'm looking forward to it. :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa
Why? I'm looking forward to it. :tongue:

Wow, looking forward to interviews....that's a first :smile:
Reply 2796
Wow, looking forward to interviews....that's a first :smile:

Hahah maybe not that bit particularly. :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa
Hahah maybe not that bit particularly. :tongue:

hmm :tongue: An then you have to wait for ages before they get back to you....:mad:
Reply 2798
hmm :tongue: An then you have to wait for ages before they get back to you....:mad:

:/ Do you hear the rejections earliest, or do they take a long time too?
Original post by liviaaa
:/ Do you hear the rejections earliest, or do they take a long time too?

Every university is completely different. And then there are internal differences. Some give out decisions in batches throughout the year, some get back to all interviewees separately, some wait till the end of the year before telling anyone.

There is no way of knowing, you just have to wait and see :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending