The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Firm-ers! 2011 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ceinnie_
Anyone know when orientation starts? On the site it says term starts on 26th September, but is there a Freshers week first?

Freshers week is the first week. So it's from 26 till 30 i think. I don't think there is orientation week. try looking on their web site
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by ceinnie_
Anyone know when orientation starts? On the site it says term starts on 26th September, but is there a Freshers week first?

Fresher's week is the first week. I thought it was the same as orientation?

Regardless, you'll do most of the stuff you need to do in fresher's week anyway - enrol, get your ID, your department socs may do something, introductory lectures and safety talks (if you have labs) and other talks about IT services, libraries etc, fresher's fair, couple of fresher's events in the evenings etc.
Reply 302
Original post by Nikkisong
I'm Global migration as well! From the US. Sent my confirmation letter yesterday. Congrats!

Congratulations to both of you for getting accepted to the Global Migration program. Did you apply by any chance to other schools for this subject? If so, which ones? I have applied to University of Sussex for Migration Studies and have been accepted. This was one of my top choices, so I am happy. I also applied to SOAS and UCL but have not heard back from them. I am curious what made you decide on UCL over others schools.

Any advice or exchange of info would be great!

Congratulations again,

-Amy
Reply 303
Geology BSc :biggrin:
Reply 304
Original post by erasethisworld
Yeah, the teaching is very vague. (At least the lecturer this year was). They basically said to us 'you get to entirely choose your second question yourself'. Which is great if you already have a passion in one area of roman life - but hard if you don't. If you ever want to PM me on here, I'll answer as quickly as I can about anything to do with modules and the department - as best as I can anyway! Obviously since I did AWS, it's a little different to Classics. You're only going to have 1 unit you get to choose yourself in the first year (4 units overall, you'll have to do 1 of Greek, 1 of Latin, 0.5 Latin Lit and 0.5 greek lit).

As for pre-reading, I'd say you'll be fine with none, but it's worth just skimming the 'classics'. Be aware of the myths in both, be aware of key poets/orators, Pliny, Cicero etc. It will definitely HELP you if you know these things. But they aren't a necessity. All I can say is when you arrive, you'll have to do a test where they judge your capability in Greek and Latin. So don't let your languages slide over summer! Revise them over this summer, you'll do better in the test, they'll put you into a higher starting class.

Thanks so much for the advice! I have a pretty good knowledge of most Latin poets and orators besides Pliny so will read up on him :smile: Though having a read of some basic Greek history would be a good move as well as I have no clue about most of the Hellenistic age and so on. Also, I only do Latin and not Greek, so I was assuming since they asked me for an A in Latin that I would automatically be put into Latin Texts and Beginners Greek? However, I will keep my vocab up just in case :smile: What are the introduction to Greek / Roman lit like? Worth reading up on anything beforehand? Sorry for the question overload, this has all been incredibly useful! It must be weird for you to have done a year and then start as a fresher all over again!
Original post by Gubey
Thanks so much for the advice! I have a pretty good knowledge of most Latin poets and orators besides Pliny so will read up on him :smile: Though having a read of some basic Greek history would be a good move as well as I have no clue about most of the Hellenistic age and so on. Also, I only do Latin and not Greek, so I was assuming since they asked me for an A in Latin that I would automatically be put into Latin Texts and Beginners Greek? However, I will keep my vocab up just in case :smile: What are the introduction to Greek / Roman lit like? Worth reading up on anything beforehand? Sorry for the question overload, this has all been incredibly useful! It must be weird for you to have done a year and then start as a fresher all over again!

Yeah just get the basics done. and you'll be in Beginners Greek yeah, but no, not necessarily Latin Texts. There's a lot of A Level Latiners who are in Intermediate - that's why you do that test. And more than vocab, it's your grammar. Make sure if you want to be in texts you are good at it. Loads of people with Latin A-Level were unpleasantly surprised haha.
I didn't do the intro classes, but the Classics students assure me they are pretty boring. It's very brief, you cover a lot in not a lot of depth. You can read up if you want - but I don't think they say it's a necessity. You don't have to buy a lot of the books, but they will go from the library very quickly.
I'm looking forward to being a fresher again - but only because I'm doing a new degree I think haha. Don't worry about the overload, I'm more than happy to help.
Reply 306
Original post by erasethisworld
Yeah just get the basics done. and you'll be in Beginners Greek yeah, but no, not necessarily Latin Texts. There's a lot of A Level Latiners who are in Intermediate - that's why you do that test. And more than vocab, it's your grammar. Make sure if you want to be in texts you are good at it. Loads of people with Latin A-Level were unpleasantly surprised haha.
I didn't do the intro classes, but the Classics students assure me they are pretty boring. It's very brief, you cover a lot in not a lot of depth. You can read up if you want - but I don't think they say it's a necessity. You don't have to buy a lot of the books, but they will go from the library very quickly.
I'm looking forward to being a fresher again - but only because I'm doing a new degree I think haha. Don't worry about the overload, I'm more than happy to help.

Oh ok I didnt realise that, will have to work hard at the Latin over the summer then! Ahh thats what I expected really from the intro courses, I guess it has to be quite brief at first year level to get a basic knowledge. I think I will still get a good collection of books off Amazon this summer, I hate having to share books etc so would rather have my now copy if I can afford it :smile: How was your freshers week first time around btw? was it mainly parties and drinking or was there a significant amount of work in the first few weeks as well?
Reply 307
Original post by 04smitht
Haven't got the time babe. :frown: Obviously not down with thread etiquette! Also a bit drunk. Soz. If you'd like to make a list and PM me it I'd be most grateful. But otherwise no. Soz bud. :smile:

No, you created this thread so it's supposed to be your responsibility. If you had no intention of helping others keep track of who their potential course mates might be, then you really shouldn't have created this thread to begin with.
Reply 308
Hey Guys, Grats on all the firms XD

Im going to be applying to UCL this year For MEng Chemical Engineering and i was wondering what are chances of getting an offer.

My AS grades are AABC ( A Maths A Chem B biology C Psychology) - Predicted A*AA. What u think ???
Original post by Gubey
Oh ok I didnt realise that, will have to work hard at the Latin over the summer then! Ahh thats what I expected really from the intro courses, I guess it has to be quite brief at first year level to get a basic knowledge. I think I will still get a good collection of books off Amazon this summer, I hate having to share books etc so would rather have my now copy if I can afford it :smile: How was your freshers week first time around btw? was it mainly parties and drinking or was there a significant amount of work in the first few weeks as well?

Yeah, it's what they;ve done the past years, so I doubt they'll change it. Haha. First week you don't have any classes. It's just doing what you want - a few 'intro' things like meet people, meet lecturers, 'how to write an essay' etc. Most people avoid all of those. You have to enrol, do some paperwork, then you sign up for societies etc. Second week you go right into working.
i firmed UCL for GEOGRAPHY :smile:-AAA tho :/ any geographers out there?
Reply 311
Original post by Rofl
No, you created this thread so it's supposed to be your responsibility. If you had no intention of helping others keep track of who their potential course mates might be, then you really shouldn't have created this thread to begin with.

I'm not obliged to do anything and I'm revising for my A levels. I'm sorry this thread is such a disappointment to you and I realise other ones follow this protocol but there are no rules indicating that this MUST be done, if you're not happy with this create another thread and do it yourself!

I am however prepared to spend time making a list if other people would like it :smile:. So if you want to pm me your course and username/name I'll do that over the weekend.
Reply 312
Original post by amysarah
Congratulations to both of you for getting accepted to the Global Migration program. Did you apply by any chance to other schools for this subject? If so, which ones? I have applied to University of Sussex for Migration Studies and have been accepted. This was one of my top choices, so I am happy. I also applied to SOAS and UCL but have not heard back from them. I am curious what made you decide on UCL over others schools.

Any advice or exchange of info would be great!

Congratulations again,

-Amy

Thank you! To you as well... I applied to King's for International Conflict Studies. I actually came across the migration one by accident and it more closely fit with my undergraduate research. It was a hard choice between the two because KCL war studies department is so well-known....but in the end UCL was so quick to get back to me and it's reputation and the number of classes we were allowed to take were the deciding factors. I also only wanted to be in London so that limited things too. When are you due to hear back from UCL? What are the deciding factors between Sussex and UCL if you got into both?
Reply 313
Okay, as the pm thing wasn't working I've spend an hour or two putting together a list, I hope this helps! :smile:

Adaptive Architecture and Computation
Sriiyer
Ancient World Studies
goldandelion
Anthropology
NewYork714
Archaeology
KatieRhiannon
dirtyoldriver
Architecture
cnov_7
Archaeology and Anthropology
Jace Falco
Biochemistry
express_68
Biochemical Engineering
jinx29
Luca118
arcl
Biological Sciences
bcrock_92
Biomedical Science
manjraman
Business and Management
Serenityhou
Chemical Engineering
cloud17
user1111
rachie.
chun402
Chemistry
Rosieloves
China_Style
whitelily29
k1111 (Medicinal Chemistry)
almxo
Nuba
Classics
Gubey
Computer Science
Dark Alukard
dj9
Cultural Heritage Studies
lisainthefield
Economics
repsol7
Cool story bro
Investment Banker
Athinagoras
MilaneseCat
Gunmetalpanda
Tomrawr
shubham_ag
theblackswan
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
EasyA
AlexJK
naugh123
KitKatFrench
Engineering with Business Finance
lim.cy
English
Acromida
Glitterness
English and French
jaaaaamesss
European Social and Political Studies
Susu
Leelee
Geography
Balletstargirl
meganf92
Heinz the German
ffion_13
TSR5678
Geography and Economics
Louisp
Georgiee
therealOG
Geology
adley
Global Migration
Nikkisong
bevit87
History
Connorbrown
Juju
Spannerhawk
History of Art
Chancellorofvice
verity :smile:
Human Sciences
Zakiman
Information Management for Business
Tinamisu
Victor88
Languages
Ivanka (Language and Culture (Spanish with Arabic)
jcockerill1 Modern Languages (French and Italian)
erasethisworld (Linguistics)
wavertree.road (Linguistics)
Law
Judgejohndeed
carpe*diem (English and German Law)
Rascacielos (Law with Hispanic Law)
Angelsnowflakes
7thNocturne
Pitchayak
Steffanie
Medicine
hunter'sdaughter
w04andia
Drewus
Tjoe
Dilzone
BethEmily
Purplefrog
pezzle_16
Medical Physics
Daftndirekt
RWills
Natural Sciences
Robinjh
Neuroscience
Tolth
Pharmacology
Cutieapple44
Hawflo
lou12
Physics
antas33
Amirshareh
Yasmintsr
Choices
Meron
Project Management for Construction
_BANKSY_
Politics and East European Studies
coffee-spoons
Philosophy
Sean_Davey
Vitamin Crack
Philosophy and Economics
jiayi930829
Psychology
Xbabycakes
ceinnie_
scottiefish
Noodlzzz
ButterflyOfFreedom
Russian Studies
JakeBeesley
knit-knots
Scandinavian Studies
Tussmorke
Speech Sciences
Free-Spirit

It's going in first post too!
Reply 314
Okay, as the pm thing wasn't working I've spend an hour or two putting together a list, I hope this helps! :smile:

Sriiyer
Ancient World Studies
goldandelion
Anthropology
NewYork714
Archaeology
KatieRhiannon
dirtyoldriver
Architecture
cnov_7
Jace Falco
Biochemistry
express_68
Biochemical Engineering
jinx29
Luca118
arcl
Biological Sciences
bcrock_92
Biomedical Science
manjraman
Business and Management
Serenityhou
Chemical Engineering
cloud17
user1111
rachie.
chun402
Chemistry
Rosieloves
China_Style
whitelily29
almxo
Nuba
Classics
Gubey
Computer Science
Dark Alukard
dj9
lisainthefield
Economics
repsol7
Cool story bro
Investment Banker
Athinagoras
MilaneseCat
Gunmetalpanda
Tomrawr
shubham_ag
theblackswan
EasyA
AlexJK
naugh123
KitKatFrench
lim.cy
English
Acromida
Glitterness
English and French
jaaaaamesss
Susu
Leelee
Geography
Balletstargirl
meganf92
Heinz the German
ffion_13
TSR5678
Geography and Economics
Louisp
Georgiee
therealOG
Geology
adley
Global Migration
Nikkisong
bevit87
History
Connorbrown
Juju
Spannerhawk
History of Art
Chancellorofvice
Human Sciences
Zakiman
Tinamisu
Victor88
Languages
Law
Judgejohndeed
Angelsnowflakes
7thNocturne
Pitchayak
Steffanie
Medicine
hunter'sdaughter
w04andia
Drewus
Tjoe
Dilzone
BethEmily
Purplefrog
pezzle_16
Medical Physics
Daftndirekt
RWills
Natural Sciences
Robinjh
Neuroscience
Tolth
Pharmacology
Cutieapple44
Hawflo
lou12
Physics
antas33
Amirshareh
Yasmintsr
Choices
Meron
_BANKSY_
coffee-spoons
Philosophy
Sean_Davey
Vitamin Crack
Philosophy and Economics
jiayi930829
Psychology
Xbabycakes
ceinnie_
scottiefish
Noodlzzz
ButterflyOfFreedom
Russian Studies
JakeBeesley
knit-knots
Scandinavian Studies
Tussmorke
Speech Sciences
Free-Spirit

It's going in first post too!

that's really nice of you :wink:
Reply 315
Original post by cloud17
that's really nice of you :wink:

dawww
That's okay! It's readable in the first post :wink:.
A cheeky thread for all the people clicking that magical FIRM button on their UCL application for next year's entry! And who are truly buzzin' for London. Post your course, offer and general banter about UCL.

============================================================

UCAS 2011 COURSES AND STUDENTS

PM ME TO BE INCLUDED!

Sriiyer

Ancient World Studies
goldandelion

Anthropology
NewYork714
Archaeology
KatieRhiannon
dirtyoldriver

Architecture
cnov_7

Jace Falco

Biochemistry
express_68

Biochemical Engineering
jinx29
Luca118
arcl

Biological Sciences
bcrock_92

Biomedical Science
manjraman

Business and Management
Serenityhou

Chemical Engineering
cloud17
user1111
rachie.
chun402

Chemistry
Rosieloves
China_Style
whitelily29
almxo
Nuba

Classics
Gubey
Computer Science
Dark Alukard
dj9

lisainthefield

Economics
repsol7
Cool story bro
Investment Banker
Athinagoras
MilaneseCat
Gunmetalpanda
Tomrawr
shubham_ag
theblackswan

EasyA
AlexJK
naugh123
KitKatFrench

lim.cy
English
Acromida
Glitterness

English and French
jaaaaamesss

Susu
Leelee

Geography
Balletstargirl
meganf92
Heinz the German
ffion_13
TSR5678

Geography and Economics
Louisp
Georgiee
therealOG

Geology
adley

Global Migration
Nikkisong
bevit87

History
Connorbrown
Juju
Spannerhawk

History of Art
Chancellorofvice
Human Sciences
Zakiman

Tinamisu
Victor88

Languages

Law
Judgejohndeed
Angelsnowflakes
7thNocturne
Pitchayak
Steffanie

Medicine
hunter'sdaughter
w04andia
Drewus
Tjoe
Dilzone
BethEmily
Purplefrog
pezzle_16

Medical Physics
Daftndirekt
RWills

Natural Sciences
Robinjh

Neuroscience
Tolth

Pharmacology
Cutieapple44
Hawflo
lou12

Physics
antas33
Amirshareh
Yasmintsr
Choices
Meron

_BANKSY_

coffee-spoons

Philosophy
Sean_Davey
Vitamin Crack

Philosophy and Economics
jiayi930829

Psychology
Xbabycakes
ceinnie_
scottiefish
Noodlzzz
ButterflyOfFreedom

Russian Studies
JakeBeesley
knit-knots

Scandinavian Studies
Tussmorke

Speech Sciences
Free-Spirit

oh man, you forgot to bold Computer Science!!!
Reply 317
Scandinavian Studies
Tussmorke

Just to be pedantic, but Scandinavian Studies is technically a Language degree. I only say this because you have another section for Languages, so.
Uhhh... dude I'm a first year.

I'll be second year when you start this september.
Reply 319
Original post by arcl
Uhhh... dude I'm a first year.

I'll be second year when you start this september.

Original post by Hylean
Just to be pedantic, but Scandinavian Studies is technically a Language degree. I only say this because you have another section for Languages, so.

Original post by Dark Alukard
oh man, you forgot to bold Computer Science!!!

Okay guys I'll get it sorted out, I was doing it in the early hours!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending