The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by dobbs
I think for a 5'7 guy weighing 68kg, pulling over 8k in 30mins must mean I'm doing something right :wink:

I prefer longer pieces to shorter 1500m/2ks etc, I enjoy finding the split I need to hold and just sitting on it for a long period of time. Obviously no ergs are "nice to do" but some are better than others, I'd much rather do a 30min than a 2k any day.

LWTs ftw! I'm 73kg :biggrin:
Original post by Woffles
LWTs ftw! I'm 73kg :biggrin:

Definitely not, Heavyweights dominate! I'm 116kg...
Reply 982
Not in this thread :wink: (Yet another lwt)
Reply 983
Original post by Keith Lemon
Definitely not, Heavyweights dominate! I'm 116kg...

:O :O Quite tall?
I'm almost a lightweight :P I'm 75kg atm :biggrin:

Apparently, I row better on bow side. After i've been rowing on stroke side for a good 4 or 5 months and trained on stroke during our easter camp. Feels more like my right lats are stronger/bigger than my left lats and just generally feel stronger when i'm rowing bow side.

My puddle's also bigger! Haha. Guess I need to do some work on my bow side technique, and it'll be more useful in the long run anyway being able to row both sides.
Original post by Woffles
:O :O Quite tall?

Haha, yeah 6,5ft, although I play rugby now, was only 95-100kg when I used to row alot.
Reply 986
Original post by Keith Lemon
Haha, yeah 6,5ft, although I play rugby now, was only 95-100kg when I used to row alot.

ahhh that makes much more sense now :biggrin:
I'm lighter than most of our coxes :p: Taller though. I think my bones are hollow, I don't look THAT skinny. (I'm around 50kg)
Reply 988
THANK GOD THIS THREAD EXISTS! i tried to set up a group twice, but it got rejected :frown:
so yeah im not at uni yet, but have been rowing for 4 years now and im pretty good, without trying to sound big headed. my quad and i are the fastest WJ17 boat in the country this year and are going to nat schools and womens henley this summer. were also hoping to go to the henley royal regatta next year as they are opening a WJ18 category. if anyone is as keen a rower as me pm or quote me to have a chat :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 989
Keep rowing. Some people tape up blisters, but I find it's fine just row through the pain. Eventually your hands will toughen up and you just get callouses, but until then, just enjoy the pain.
lol - everyone gets blisters. Unless it is actually really really bad (which i have seen - 9 open sores on one hand and the other was terrible too), just deal with it. Your hands will toughen.
Reply 991

had to row another 16k with this bad boy :s
Reply 992
Original post by LiviD
THANK GOD THIS THREAD EXISTS! i tried to set up a group twice, but it got rejected :frown:
so yeah im not at uni yet, but have been rowing for 4 years now and im pretty good, without trying to sound big headed. my quad and i are the fastest WJ17 boat in the country this year and are going to nat schools and womens henley this summer. were also hoping to go to the henley royal regatta next year as they are opening a WJ18 category. if anyone is as keen a rower as me pm or quote me to have a chat :biggrin::biggrin:

Welcome :biggrin: Always good to have new rowers here, the thread seems to go a bit quiet now and then. Where do you row?

I still haven't got back properly into training....got on an erg the other day and seem to have lost all of my old motivation :frown: Desperately need to find some local regattas to enter in my single and get back on form!

Moving to Cambridge in July though...hopefully I can find a good club to join and sort my fitness levels out. Though with the lack of rowing I've been running loads and cracking out some PBs on my 10k times hah, guess every cloud has it's silver lining! :smile:

Oh and blister guy - row through them. Can hurt like hell, but they'll harden up eventually and you'll learn to deal with it. Plus rowers love to get home and show all non-rowers how hard they are because of their blisters. FACT :biggrin:
Original post by LiviD

had to row another 16k with this bad boy :s

Ouch, where do you row?
Original post by dobbs
Welcome :biggrin: Always good to have new rowers here, the thread seems to go a bit quiet now and then. Where do you row?

I still haven't got back properly into training....got on an erg the other day and seem to have lost all of my old motivation :frown: Desperately need to find some local regattas to enter in my single and get back on form!

Moving to Cambridge in July though...hopefully I can find a good club to join and sort my fitness levels out. Though with the lack of rowing I've been running loads and cracking out some PBs on my 10k times hah, guess every cloud has it's silver lining! :smile:

Oh and blister guy - row through them. Can hurt like hell, but they'll harden up eventually and you'll learn to deal with it. Plus rowers love to get home and show all non-rowers how hard they are because of their blisters. FACT :biggrin:

I think I may have accidentally negged you when I tried to pos rep :tongue: couldn't agree more with your last sentence. My parents think I'm mad when I show them my hands :biggrin:
Reply 995
Woo... Bedford regatta. Pretty much went exactly the same as last year. Poor first race we should have won, beat some school boys to win the plate competition.

Didn't do badly in IM3 either :smile:
We had the Shrewsbury Regatta today (1k). Had two races, first one was brilliant as we had the inside lane. We were against De Montford University's novice boat, and we finished with 8 lengths of open water :P However, we then had the outside lane for the final and we were racing the King's Chester J15s who entered into novice. Lost by 2 inches, and the wind was hurrendous!
Had a 2k today! The dreaded things. I don't know whether it was the carbs I stacked last night, the mcdonalds I had for lunch (wasn't as bad an idea as I thought it would be) or just the fact that i'm getting more mentally strong. But I shaved 14 seconds off my previous pb of 7:33 and got 7:18.5! I know it's still not that good, but i've had problems just finishing them, I always gave up sort of 750 metres in. I kept it high rate, sort of 30sh.

I'm really pleased with it, to be honest. I know also that there was a lot left in the tank that I could've used up, mainly because in the last 150m I managed to sprint down to 1:35 :P My coaches are happy, because they just wanted me to finish. I just kept it at 1:51/1:52 for the first 1k, then as I settled into the rate brought it to 1:50. Then lowered it to about 1:45 at 250m less and went for it at 100m. I could've sprinted earlier, (I bet everyone says that!) so I know there's potential for shaving another 3 or 4 seconds off as it is. With work, as that was only my second 2k, I know there's potential for sub 7 and hopefully at some point 6:55.

Another good point is i'm only 3lbs off technical lightweight :P Lost 24lbs so far, and my last 2k was about 1/2 the way through my weight loss. So i've lost 12lbs and shaved off 14 seconds! tidy :biggrin:
1000 post!!!

ROWING IS GAY!!!!
fell in today :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest