The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5960
does anyone know about the international foundation for medicine programme?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 5961
Original post by melez
does anyone know about the international foundation for medicine programme?

i think it's kinda new... and the majority of people answering this thread are not medical students, so it's a bit unlikely for them to know. Try emailing the medical school admissions. They are sooo lovely and helpful. You will surely get all your questions answered. :smile:
Reply 5962
Hello current students :smile:

Is actually anyone of you taking those evening language courses?

I'm very much interested in some of them, so I'd love to hear how it all works. So, if you know more, please quote me, and I'll have some questions :smile:

Thank you, as always:wink:!
I'm on the module choices website just now so I want to explain my situation and see if you guys can give me any advice.

First of all I have an unconditional offer for Geography (BSci) for this September. However it is my intention to switch to physics as soon as I can as I want to do Physics now for my degree! Realised I didn't want to do Geography a week after I'd sent off my UCAS! :tongue:

Anyway I'm doing advanced highers and if I get 3 As including maths and physics academically I would be eligible to take 2nd level modules for physics.
This is how your modules work for 2nd year entry to Physics:

Semester 1 -
MT1002 - Maths module 20 credits
PH2001 - Physics module 30 credits
1 other 1st level module - 20 credits

Semester 2 -
MT2001 - Maths module 30 credits
PH2002 - Physics module 30 credits

Total: 130 credits

If I get the grades I would like to do this and take GG1001 (a geography module) as my other 1st level module. However as I have applied for Geography (and my adviser I'll be meeting in September will be from the school of Geography) so this means that I will probably have to put down initially that I will be doing Geography for the whole of 1st year. Therefore I'm thinking of putting my module choices like this:

Semester 1 -
GG1001 - Geography module 20 credits

Semester 2 -
GG1002 - Geography module 20 credits

Total: 120 credits

I've been told that you can drop a subject after 1 semester so if I was still wanting to do Physics as my degree I would ask to drop Geography after the 1st semester and replace the G1002 module with the MT2001 module. Can someone verify that you can do this?

I am wondering if this is the best strategy to go about this?
I just don't want to offend/piss off the Geography professor by saying "Actually I don't want to do your subject as my degree and would like to drop it as soon as I can!" :tongue:

(This would be what I would do in September. Just now I've been advised to put down my choices for 1st year entry as I don't yet have the grades for 2nd year entry!)

Thanks and I hope I explained this ok. :smile:
Reply 5964
Original post by alasdair1993
I'm on the module choices website just now so I want to explain my situation and see if you guys can give me any advice.

First of all I have an unconditional offer for Geography (BSci) for this September. However it is my intention to switch to physics as soon as I can as I want to do Physics now for my degree! Realised I didn't want to do Geography a week after I'd sent off my UCAS! :tongue:

Anyway I'm doing advanced highers and if I get 3 As including maths and physics academically I would be eligible to take 2nd level modules for physics.
This is how your modules work for 2nd year entry to Physics:

Semester 1 -
1 other 1st level module - 20 credits

Semester 2 -
MT2001 - Maths module 30 credits

Total: 130 credits

If I get the grades I would like to do this and take GG1001 (a geography module) as my other 1st level module. However as I have applied for Geography (and my adviser I'll be meeting in September will be from the school of Geography) so this means that I will probably have to put down initially that I will be doing Geography for the whole of 1st year. Therefore I'm thinking of putting my module choices like this:

Semester 1 -
GG1001 - Geography module 20 credits

Semester 2 -
GG1002 - Geography module 20 credits

Total: 120 credits

I've been told that you can drop a subject after 1 semester so if I was still wanting to do Physics as my degree I would ask to drop Geography after the 1st semester and replace the G1002 module with the MT2001 module. Can someone verify that you can do this?

I am wondering if this is the best strategy to go about this?
I just don't want to offend/piss off the Geography professor by saying "Actually I don't want to do your subject as my degree and would like to drop it as soon as I can!" :tongue:

(This would be what I would do in September. Just now I've been advised to put down my choices for 1st year entry as I don't yet have the grades for 2nd year entry!)

Thanks and I hope I explained this ok. :smile:

You can indeed easily change at the start of semester 2. I wanted to change a module and just simply emailed by adviser and he changed it straight away.
However, I think you should talk to your adviser and explain the situation. They will be understanding and you are going to have to say 'Actually I don't want to do your subject as my degree,' eventually.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Pre adivsing can easily be changed. My friend has no idea what she wanted to do and has just added every module that she fancied and was wayyy over the required 120 credits and just let her adviser sort it in september.
How easy/hard is it to get part time work there. It's just I imagine with it being a fairly small town (albeit with quite a few shops pubs etc.) jobs can/do fill up quite fast.
Original post by limetang
How easy/hard is it to get part time work there. It's just I imagine with it being a fairly small town (albeit with quite a few shops pubs etc.) jobs can/do fill up quite fast.

If you really want a job, you'll probably get one somewhere. Look in Freshers' Week, and be persistent. Also bear in mind that many places will want you to work over holidays as well - so if you can do this, it'll help your chances.
Original post by Oh-WOW
You can indeed easily change at the start of semester 2. I wanted to change a module and just simply emailed by adviser and he changed it straight away.
However, I think you should talk to your adviser and explain the situation. They will be understanding and you are going to have to say 'Actually I don't want to do your subject as my degree,' eventually.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Pre adivsing can easily be changed. My friend has no idea what she wanted to do and has just added every module that she fancied and was wayyy over the required 120 credits and just let her adviser sort it in september.

Thanks. Yeah I will let my adviser know that I'm thinking about switching to physics (not going to say I definitely am as I may not like university physics) so I may ask to change my semester 2 geography module to a maths module. But I think I would provisionally take both geography modules but they would at least know that I may change.
Also does anyone know when Freshers' have to complete their modules choices for pre-advising online by? I was going to just put my level 1 entry options down and change in September to level 2 (if I get the grades) at the adviser's meeting in September but I might just wait until August when my exam results come out. Thanks :smile:
Original post by alasdair1993
Also does anyone know when Freshers' have to complete their modules choices for pre-advising online by? I was going to just put my level 1 entry options down and change in September to level 2 (if I get the grades) at the adviser's meeting in September but I might just wait until August when my exam results come out. Thanks :smile:

AFAIK you don't need to submit your pre-advising modules until a few days before advising, although that may be wrong.
Reply 5969
Original post by limetang

I worked in Ryman October - May and had to stay here for a week of Easter Break. Employers usually don't have to be too flexible as there is always someone else they can choose. If you want any hope I would say that experience in the relevant sector is almost essential.
Which Hall is the best u guys think?
Reply 5971
All the halls are pretty good. I liked my time at Uni Hall, but my friends at DRA also had great fun, and I know folks from john Burnett and Sallies who've had good experiences too.
Reply 5972
I think that all the halls are pretty good, but I wouldn't say there was a best, as such!
All the halls are different.
Though, I would have to say that John Burnet is the best, though the smallest of halls we have a great atmosphere and everyone knows each other. I have loved living here for my first year, and will be back again for second year! Love it.
I actually dreamt as a child of attending St. Andrews , since I was totally in love with Wills :P But I'd seriously love to go now ... I wonder if I have to get A-A*s GCSEs though , because I mostly have Bs so far :frown: But for A-levels , I have to get AAB-AAA ...
McIntosh is the best hall. Just putting it out there

Okay!

001. Are there many people who go straight to St Andrews at 17, after 5th year?? I'm currently debating whether to leave after 5th or stay on til the end of sixth. Do you think it would make a difference to my experience if I was 17 for first year??

002. Are there any mobile networks that get no/limited reception in St. Andrews??

003. How active is the fashion scene in St Andrews and what kind of style dominates the town??

004. On average how much storage space is there in a room (catered)??

005. In catered halls when do the meals tend to be??

I would be really grateful if someone could answer these. :smile:

Original post by mangagirl

Okay!

001. Are there many people who go straight to St Andrews at 17, after 5th year?? I'm currently debating whether to leave after 5th or stay on til the end of sixth. Do you think it would make a difference to my experience if I was 17 for first year??

002. Are there any mobile networks that get no/limited reception in St. Andrews??

003. How active is the fashion scene in St Andrews and what kind of style dominates the town??

004. On average how much storage space is there in a room (catered)??

005. In catered halls when do the meals tend to be??

I would be really grateful if someone could answer these. :smile:

Most of these have been answered before in the thread but here goes anyway:

1) There are quite a few people who come to St Andrews at 17. The only thing you really need to consider is drinking: if you get caught drinking in the union at 17 you'll get a 6 month ban. I wouldn't consider fake IDs anywhere either. Go for house parties etc

2) Not as far as I know - you'll get reception *somewhere*: it really depends where you are.

3) You will see quite a few "yah"s: Hunter wellies/Ugg boots, Barbour jackets etc etc but other than that.. I don't know... normal? There are a couple of fashion shows throughout the year, not really sure about how "active" the "fashion scene" is.

4) Really depends on how big your room is. Every room gets a wardrobe (of some description) 2 chests of drawers (each one relatively small), a bookshelf and a desk. You should usually be able to store stuff under your bed/buy another chest of drawers/boxes from Argos for more stuff if necessary.

5) Changes from hall to hall, and I think they may be changing weekend meal times in the next year or so, but in McIntosh last year it was generally around 8-9 breakfast, 12.30-1.30 lunch, 6.30-7.30 (ish).
Original post by mangagirl

Okay!

I'm going to be 17 :biggrin: And quite a few people I've talked to are going to be 17, so don't worry about it!
How long does it take to Dundee by bus,train or whatever?
(edited 12 years ago)
How much is the service charge if I withdraw money at any ATMs at St Andrews from my HSBC account?

Latest