The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2840
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
They can get loans. The middle class- nay, any class- don't need to worry about paying off the fees until after graduation. So no one can't afford uni.

If my brother wasn't getting DSA then my parents wouldn't be able to help me at all next year. We don't qualify for grants but my parents don't have that much spare money to be able to pay for me and him.
I worked out that next year, if my parents couldn't cover my rent I would have £30-£40 a week during term time in the cheapest accommodation offered. That is providing that I spend nothing during holidays which are rather long.
Original post by VaVe
If my brother wasn't getting DSA then my parents wouldn't be able to help me at all next year. We don't qualify for grants but my parents don't have that much spare money to be able to pay for me and him.
I worked out that next year, if my parents couldn't cover my rent I would have £30-£40 a week during term time in the cheapest accommodation offered. That is providing that I spend nothing during holidays which are rather long.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't denying that uni is hard for middle classes. But the fees themselves are paid through loan rather than upfront, so that part you don't have to worry about until after graduating.
Reply 2842
Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't denying that uni is hard for middle classes. But the fees themselves are paid through loan rather than upfront, so that part you don't have to worry about until after graduating.

Fees I don't mind about, it's the living costs and the way that the government have decided that if your parents earn over a certain amount then they (your parents, not the government) will automatically support you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by VaVe
Fees I don't mind about, it's the living costs and the way that the government have decided that if your parents earn over a certain amount then they will automatically support you.

It sucks, but I don't really think there's an alternative. :dontknow: Grants for everyone would just be unsupportable.
Reply 2844
It sucks, but I don't really think there's an alternative. :dontknow: Grants for everyone would just be unsupportable.

True but it would be nice if there was the option of taking out bigger loans.
Reply 2845
Original post by Quackers93
You probably will be, particularly when you look on tsr medicine pages for unis you applied to and you see that they've given out a batch of offers/rejections and feel like you're gonna die when your email doesn't load :tongue: It was weird, I came on here, twice, saw people got rejections, got a really weird and VERY bad feeling and knew that i'd got rejection , and i was right both times - although it does slightly take away the element of surprise :tongue:

Awh! :/ Hopefully it'll be better this year :smile:
Original post by VaVe
True but it would be nice if there was the option of taking out bigger loans.

Yeah, that would be good. But, like, loans are as draining as grants until a few years later, I think.

You going to try to find a job for holiday time or would that be too much?
Original post by VaVe
Fees I don't mind about, it's the living costs and the way that the government have decided that if your parents earn over a certain amount then they will automatically support you.

Don't they automatically support everyone? And why would it be those with parents earning over a certain amount receiving the most support? Surely it's the other way round
Original post by SteveCrain
Don't they automatically support everyone? And why would it be those with parents earning over a certain amount receiving the most support? Surely it's the other way round

I think VaVe just made a typo.
Original post by thegodofgod
I think VaVe just made a typo.

yeh it didn't seem in keeping with the "Woe of the Middle Classes" yarn
Reply 2850

I meant that parents when I said they, will fix it.
Reply 2851
Yeah, that would be good. But, like, loans are as draining as grants until a few years later, I think.

You going to try to find a job for holiday time or would that be too much?

Already have one and my boss says I can work when I'm home during holidays which is good.
Original post by VaVe
Already have one and my boss says I can work when I'm home during holidays which is good.

Nice one. :smile: That's going to help. Apparently Camb terms are way too intense to hold down a job, but on the bright side longer holidays for more work? Plus everyone cycles everywhere in Camb apparently, so you save money on transport. :biggrin:
Anyone watching "A Very Dangerous Doctor"? About David Southall who's a massive advocate (if that's the right word :s-smilie:) of munchausen by proxy, which is where parents are accused of hurting their children or fabricating symptoms because they crave medical symptoms. I read a bit of a book about how MBP doesn't exist and it's just the result of doctors too proud to say "I don't know what's wrong", but tbh I thought the book was just being selective with the info it gave and it used only case studies of people who had been wrongly accused. But this show is saying the exact same thing as the book.

According to this TV show he wanted to get the children away from their parents to experiment on them. :s-smilie:
Reply 2854
Nice one. :smile: That's going to help. Apparently Camb terms are way too intense to hold down a job, but on the bright side longer holidays for more work? Plus everyone cycles everywhere in Camb apparently, so you save money on transport. :biggrin:

Yeah, I think we were told that the college don't really want you to have a job and it's basically not allowed unless it's only for a couple of hours a week. It is just full of bikes which is rather amusing until the tenth one almost hits you. Not sure if I'm getting one, walking isn't that much slower really.
Original post by VaVe
Yeah, I think we were told that the college don't really want you to have a job and it's basically not allowed unless it's only for a couple of hours a week. It is just full of bikes which is rather amusing until the tenth one almost hits you. Not sure if I'm getting one, walking isn't that much slower really.

Fair enough, balancing a job with the course could be so stressful. Burning out in the middle of a medicine degree would be horrible!

Haha, it sounds so cute and student-y.
True, but walking really hurts your feet after a bit. :frown: in the hols I walked everywhere instead of using a bus to save money and ohhh, man, my feet started to hurt so much. :frown: By the end of the holidays I was taking off my shoes cos my feet hurt too much.
Anyone watching "A Very Dangerous Doctor"? About David Southall who's a massive advocate (if that's the right word :s-smilie:) of munchausen by proxy, which is where parents are accused of hurting their children or fabricating symptoms because they crave medical symptoms. I read a bit of a book about how MBP doesn't exist and it's just the result of doctors too proud to say "I don't know what's wrong", but tbh I thought the book was just being selective with the info it gave and it used only case studies of people who had been wrongly accused. But this show is saying the exact same thing as the book.

According to this TV show he wanted to get the children away from their parents to experiment on them. :s-smilie:

I saw it on sky timetable, but then saw it was on channel 4, so quickly averted my eyes. I'm now watching Revenge of the Nerds
I saw it on sky timetable, but then saw it was on channel 4, so quickly averted my eyes. I'm now watching Revenge of the Nerds

I love C4. :cute:

Lol, no idea what Revenge of the Nerds is. :p:
I love C4. :cute:

Lol, no idea what Revenge of the Nerds is. :p:

And you want to be a doctor....

And you want to be a doctor....

LOL, that actually looks amazing! Looks a bit like The Inbetweeners, but oldie styleeee. :p:

Latest