The Student Room Group

Should we have to pay to visit national heritage sites like Stonehenge?

Poll

Should we be charged money?

When doing some research (as I plan to go visit it) on Stonehenge, I came across the startling information that you are charged to go see it. I can understand why they would considering it's clearly a significant cash cow, but as the site is thousands of years old, and not a construction of a company or group, like the English Heritage that runs it, and has become a setting in the landscape, is it right for the public to be charged to get up close to it? I'm sure if they asked for donations rather than making it mandatory they would still generate more than enough for maintenance of the site, so I can't accept a justification based on economics. It seems incredibly greedy, arrogant and unfair to charge members of the public to see something like this

Scroll to see replies

If its a small charge I really don't see a problem. The national heritage sites are what arguably keep tourists coming to this country. The upkeep of them needs to be maintained.

The donations that you mention is a decent idea in theory, and your probably right that it would easily make enough to upkeep the site. However, in that, your creating an easy situation to free ride, and by charging folk measly money to visit the site, your spreading the cost over society. You would inevitably end up with those who give 20p, some even nothing. And those that give £5.

Just out of interest, what are they charging per visit?
Reply 2
Don't see why not, I'd think differently if it were a beach I was being charged to see (there is one near me and they charge you :s-smilie:).
Reply 3
If you really really care about these things im sure you'd be willing to donate a fiver to maintain it.
Original post by Meus
When doing some research (as I plan to go visit it) on Stonehenge, I came across the startling information that you are charged to go see it. I can understand why they would considering it's clearly a significant cash cow, but as the site is thousands of years old, and not a construction of a company or group, like the English Heritage that runs it, and has become a setting in the landscape, is it right for the public to be charged to get up close to it? I'm sure if they asked for donations rather than making it mandatory they would still generate more than enough for maintenance of the site, so I can't accept a justification based on economics. It seems incredibly greedy, arrogant and unfair to charge members of the public to see something like this
If it is reinvested into access and promotion then is that not beneficial to the promotion of the UK's tourism industry? Assuming the general public is not really influenced by the price, as it is quite remote, I fail to see the economic benefit of not charging when those who go to see it are perfectly willing to pay.

The reliability of income from a flat fee, as opposed to inconsistent donations, enables decisions to be planned in advance and implemented more smoothly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Wait.. what?

You don't see the economic benefits.. of gaining money from tourism? .. Can't tell if serious..
Reply 6
I work at a heritage site, and you'd be shocked at the costs of maintaining them. Stongehenge in particular suffers from people damaging the stones and climbing on them, hence why you're not longer allowed to get too close.

Keeping them as historical artefacts in good condition, restoring them, creating and promoting exhibitions, finding volounteers and staff, training said staff, the sheer amount of paperwork, events, ectr. The National Trust runs a very strict budget, hence why you feel it's overpriced.
Reply 7
Depends what they're charging and what it's being spent on... I'd be narked if they were using the stonehenge revenues to subsidise ballet or something like that.
Original post by imlikeahermit
If its a small charge I really don't see a problem. The national heritage sites are what arguably keep tourists coming to this country. The upkeep of them needs to be maintained.

The donations that you mention is a decent idea in theory, and your probably right that it would easily make enough to upkeep the site. However, in that, your creating an easy situation to free ride, and by charging folk measly money to visit the site, your spreading the cost over society. You would inevitably end up with those who give 20p, some even nothing. And those that give £5.

Adults - £7.50
Child - £4.50 (5-15 years)
Family - £19.50 (2 adults + up to 3 children)
Concession - £6.80 (Students + over 60s)
Under 5s - Free
Reply 9
I think it's fair to expect a contribution from tourists, or to have an annual fee for the national trust/english heritage.
The NT own a heck of a lot of land and property, the latter often requires considerable maintenance costs (it might cost a few hundred thousand to repair the roof of a stately home, for example).

I would rather pay the NT annual fee and be able to see our heritage as it should be seen than not pay to see a dilapidated ruin (unless it's a ruined castle in which case I'd rather it wasn't completely destroyed)
Reply 10
Original post by Ich Dien
If you really really care about these things im sure you'd be willing to donate a fiver to maintain it.

Original post by tehFrance
Don't see why not, I'd think differently if it were a beach I was being charged to see (there is one near me and they charge you :s-smilie:).

Adults: £7.50 Children: £4.50 Concessions: £6.80 EH Member Cost: Free Family Ticket: £19.50

I don't believe anyone who would take the time to go visit the site would be against donating to maintain it. From a principle perspective, I just cannot understand why something you did not build or pay for is then a legitimate object to sell for profit. In any other example, we'd call that theft. But this isn't a material object - it's a part of this country's heritage and history. The article states that it costs £2.4 million a year to maintain, and even then I'm curious as why it costs that much. But from the fees they generate £6 million a year.
Original post by Meus
I just cannot understand why something you did not build or pay for is then a legitimate object to sell for profit.

You do understand that they use the money for the upkeep of other sites not just Stonehenge, right? Like I said I'm not against paying for it... just don't charge for a beach!
Original post by whyumadtho
Adults - £7.50
Child - £4.50 (5-15 years)
Family - £19.50 (2 adults + up to 3 children)
Concession - £6.80 (Students + over 60s)
Under 5s - Free

Dear god. Prior to my post I expected prices to be, well, not as much put it that way. I stand by my first post, however, these prices are certainly excessive. £7.50 to visit some stones is pricy to say the least.

I would assume that £2.4million upkeep cost is possibly about £2million upkeep, £0.4 administration and wastage. It's government owned. Absolutely no need to be efficient.
Reply 13
Dear god. Prior to my post I expected prices to be, well, not as much put it that way. I stand by my first post, however, these prices are certainly excessive. £7.50 to visit some stones is pricy to say the least.

I would assume that £2.4million upkeep cost is possibly about £2million upkeep, £0.4 administration and wastage. It's government owned. Absolutely no need to be efficient.

If they asked for a few pounds then I wouldn't even have given it a thought but when I saw the prices it made me question the entire pretext, because for the costs involved and how much they earn, it did not feel right. Admittedly, there are valid arguments for charging, but not to this extent.
Reply 14
Original post by BlueJoker
I work at a heritage site, and you'd be shocked at the costs of maintaining them. Stongehenge in particular suffers from people damaging the stones and climbing on them, hence why you're not longer allowed to get too close.

Keeping them as historical artefacts in good condition, restoring them, creating and promoting exhibitions, finding volounteers and staff, training said staff, the sheer amount of paperwork, events, ectr. The National Trust runs a very strict budget, hence why you feel it's overpriced.

Stonehenge itself is English Heritage - i.e. government so it's even tighter than the NT from what I hear. NT owns the surrounding land though.

Got to do something though otherwise it'd have been chipped away to gravel by trophy hunters years ago.
Upkeep and security.
Reply 16
Yes I think we should. There are currently funding cuts to many heritage sites and this makes situations that are already there worse. These heritage sites have to make and maintain a management plan due to the rules of UNESCO and these can be hard to fund.

If we are talking bout Stonehenge the spending cuts have hit them hard. What people don't understand is that Stonehenge is landscape not just a stone circle and this too has to be maintained. There is the curcus and many burial mounds that have to be maintained as well. The funding cuts have put stop to a major project that should have been happening there. They were going to put a new visitor center there and sort out the road that cuts through the Stonehenge landscape.

Money that is paid does not go to line their pockets. It goes to protect and conserve the monument for future generations and improve the landscape that is there.

Look at this to see what the management plan is and what they have to do. And this is just a summary.

(Good bit of Archaeology revision for me done here :biggrin: Thanks)
Reply 17
Original post by Tabers
Yes I think we should. There are currently funding cuts to many heritage sites and this makes situations that are already there worse. These heritage sites have to make and maintain a management plan due to the rules of UNESCO and these can be hard to fund.

If we are talking bout Stonehenge the spending cuts have hit them hard. What people don't understand is that Stonehenge is landscape not just a stone circle and this too has to be maintained. There is the curcus and many burial mounds that have to be maintained as well. The funding cuts have put stop to a major project that should have been happening there. They were going to put a new visitor center there and sort out the road that cuts through the Stonehenge landscape.

Money that is paid does not go to line their pockets. It goes to protect and conserve the monument for future generations and improve the landscape that is there.

Look at this to see what the management plan is and what they have to do. And this is just a summary.

(Good bit of Archaeology revision for me done here :biggrin: Thanks)

As mentioned, they are not struggling with this site in particular. Look at my previous posts where I mention the costs involved and what they earn
No, you can't put a price on beauty therefore it should be accessible for everyone
Reply 19
Original post by Meus
As mentioned, they are not struggling with this site in particular. Look at my previous posts where I mention the costs involved and what they earn

Well it may still be able to keep with its upkeep but they cannot do the originally plan which would improve it because of cuts of money. The money also helps other sites and may go back to UNESCO because some money has to be given to those member states that cannot afford to protect their heritage which is just as important because if not significant heritage may be lost in other countries.(I'm not 100% sure this is right or if it is the government but I know we give money to UNESCO for the upkeep of sites in countries who cannot afford)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending