Reply 280
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
It'll be fine :smile:

WAAAAH no it won't! PANIC!!!
edit
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Harley
WAAAAH no it won't! PANIC!!!

Breathe. Stay calm, read the questions, plan your essays. It will be fine :smile:
Reply 283
Original post by Albertine
YAY I'm doing the browning one too! Big love to you. Awesome poem.

Yeah I like it :smile: It's my best essay in my opinion. I was thinking about doing Eugenesis, but decided to play it safe lol. As a poem, I like eugenesis more though.
Reply 284
ahhhh anyone want to give me some last minute tips?
and if anyone is impressively clued up on OTHELLO feel free to give me a shout!

much apppreciation
zoe x
Reply 285
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE TOMORROW!! :smile:

Hope everyone does really well.

I am no teacher but here is what I have been told: If you're feeling a bit panicky, do some breathing exercises - Breath in for four seconds, hold for two seconds, breath out for four seconds, no breath for two seconds and so on... (really helps me!)

And I sincerely hope that everyone takes their time - pace yourself. Remember to take a bottle of water, a few pens, pack of tissues, a pencil with a rubber and if someone if being a numpty by sniffing or something, get yourself moved.

Read through the questions a few times if need be. Many people find it much quicker to go straight to the questions.

Even when you come to the "dreaded" A/E questions, you will be familiar with the passages.

On Paper 2 - if you can't remember your poems or novels, again do the breathing and don't freak out. You can do this. Ignore everyone else in the room and pretend they aren't there.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :smile: Take care!:smile::smile:
Safe to say I'm bricking it.

I'm doing:

Box Room
The Strand at Lough Beg
Death of a Salesman.

D:
Reply 287
Have been at it all day and feel like I've done nothing.

But good luck tomorrow everyone!
Eugh. If the pass marks are THAT low, I may just make an A2/B3. :smile:

Drama: Macbeth - William Shakespeare
Prose: A Hanging, Marrakech - George Orwell, Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Poetry: A Red, Red Rose/John Anderson, My Jo - Robert Burns, The Almond Tree - John Stallworthy

:smile:
Original post by Harley
Our teacher is utter crapness. The other higher class in my school has 4 or 5 options, all ive got is Novel: Lord of the flies by William Golding and Poem: My Last Duchess by Robert Browning :frown: Ive got Film: saving private ryan as backup but its my weakest of the 3 :frown:

Ah, I remember writing about My Last Duchess last year :smile: That's a good poem, quite adaptable and there is a lot to write about it. Lord of the Flies is also a great novel that fits many questions. You are bound to get a question relating to those two texts so try not to panic too much!

For everyone else sitting the exam tomorrow, try and get a lot of sleep. Stay hydrated tomorrow morning (don't go over the top with water like me...I sprinted to the toilet with 10 crucial minutes left :P) and get your mum to make you a ridiculously awesome breakfast...and when you are just about to sit the exam, breathe. Take a moment, get an idea of what the interp is about and stay positive.

For the essays, remember to always refer back to the question...and it's vital to spend about 5 mins proof reading your work even if you're still writing with 5 mins left. In fact, if you're still writing with 5 mins left then you should jump straight to writing your conclusion then proofread your work.

If you come out of the exam feeling like **** then this is just your mind playing games with you. I came out last year feeling so bad because I thought I did really bad on my essays but turns out I got a 19 and 21! You'll probably be focusing on the negative aspects of the exam anyway and not the positives so chances are you'll have done much better than you thought.

Not much more to say really....GOOD LUCK AND GIVE THAT EXAM A GOOD ASSKICKIN'!!!!!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1626144

Hey here's a link to another (but more populated) thread.. you'll find tons of advice there :smile:
Reply 291
Original post by fjanndinn
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE TOMORROW!! :smile:

Hope everyone does really well.

I am no teacher but here is what I have been told: If you're feeling a bit panicky, do some breathing exercises - Breath in for four seconds, hold for two seconds, breath out for four seconds, no breath for two seconds and so on... (really helps me!)

And I sincerely hope that everyone takes their time - pace yourself. Remember to take a bottle of water, a few pens, pack of tissues, a pencil with a rubber and if someone if being a numpty by sniffing or something, get yourself moved.

Read through the questions a few times if need be. Many people find it much quicker to go straight to the questions.

Even when you come to the "dreaded" A/E questions, you will be familiar with the passages.

On Paper 2 - if you can't remember your poems or novels, again do the breathing and don't freak out. You can do this. Ignore everyone else in the room and pretend they aren't there.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :smile: Take care!:smile::smile:

Ugh there's a guy in my year who does this ridiculous cough thing all the way through tests, he better not be at it tomorrow lol
My English teacher is adorable, she made us all little four leaved clovers and wrote "You shall be brilliant" on them to bring us luck, since it's Friday the 13th and all (which I've been raging about ever since I found out). Hopefully it'll work! Just have to remember to keep my cool. And thanks people for reminding me to take water, otherwise I would've forgotten it and been all dehydrated and unbrilliant. :frown: Think I'll listen to "I have a dream" again to inspire me and help me remember quotes. Considering I've been walking around shouting "Now is the time" I think I've got the repetition bits down. I bet I'll forget them now I've said that. :lol:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! WE SHALL ALL BE BRILLIANT! :biggrin:
Reply 293
Original post by NaturalDisaster
My English teacher is adorable, she made us all little four leaved clovers and wrote "You shall be brilliant" on them to bring us luck, since it's Friday the 13th and all (which I've been raging about ever since I found out). Hopefully it'll work! Just have to remember to keep my cool. And thanks people for reminding me to take water, otherwise I would've forgotten it and been all dehydrated and unbrilliant. :frown: Think I'll listen to "I have a dream" again to inspire me and help me remember quotes. Considering I've been walking around shouting "Now is the time" I think I've got the repetition bits down. I bet I'll forget them now I've said that. :lol:

I wish i had your teacher... I tried to turn my poem into a song - it didnt work out lol
Anyone else re-sitting it this year ? :3
Original post by NaturalDisaster

Our Maths teacher bought us badges and mugs with 'KEEP CALM and CARRY ON' on them. Cute, and inspirational :3
Original post by Harley
I wish i had your teacher... I tried to turn my poem into a song - it didnt work out lol

My class always used to come out with random outbursts of "I have a dream, that one day little black boys and little black girls and little white boys and little white girls will be able to join hands..." :lol: I'm going to miss English so badly.
Original post by Darren_Pollard
Our Maths teacher bought us badges and mugs with 'KEEP CALM and CARRY ON' on them. Cute, and inspirational :3

Awww. That's adorable. :biggrin: I have a poster with loads of different versions of that. My favourite has to be "Keep Korma and Curry On." :lol:
Reply 298
Hi,
i am sitting the higher English exam tomorrow and i am wondering if it is ok to write down all my quotes at the start of the exam on the first page.
I want to do this so i don't have to worry about remembering them throughout the exam.
Will i be penalised for this, thanks. Help appreciated.
Reply 299
It's fine to do that, yes. Just cross them out once you're finished with your essay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending