University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by ErasmusStudent
I may have mistaken. By "accomodation" I meant all kind of rooms for students. Actually I don't really understand that word ahah

Yes, but no students live on the actual campus of the university where all the lecture theatres and teaching rooms are. All the rooms where students live are a little walk away at least.

There are two areas where the accommodation are. One is about a 10 minutes walk away but most are a 15/20 minute bus ride away in a place called Oadby. Its known as a Student Village. Here is where the catered accommodation is which really isn't all that bad (in my experience).
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
What is the difference between a standard room and a premium room ?
And does "ensuite" means that there is a private bathroom ?
Original post by moonpigpies
I've already wrote this in another 'Leicester halls thread' but thought I'd copy and paste it here too, as no one's really mentioned Beaumont, and I think you should give it a chance :tongue:

Thought I'd give my opinion...

Beaumont =deffs the best! I'm in old court, so in a block of about 20 people. Girls are upstairs and boys are down. Thought it would be awful and segregated but it was actually brilliant. no messy kitchen (I'm a girl ) but I'm really good mates with all the lads downstairs and we all predrink together in a middle 'social area'. So you really do get to know everyone!

Plus, at beaumont, you get to meet people from different blocks either through the dining room, nights out (hall bar crawls!), or block parties -of which there are many!!! I think I know at least one person from every block -and are friends with their friends So I really would say beaumonts the most social I've friend's in jofo who really wish they had picked Beaumont.

Bar -always busy unlike jo fo which I went to once and it was dead (dunno how it is all the time though). There's also a TV room, and snooker table. The bar's really cosy, and has a 'pub like' quality feel to it I think. Plus, it looks out over to the Beautanical gardens which are stunning, and great for chilling in, in the summer when you're putting off revision

Rooms: I'm ensuite and honestly, I couldn't fault my room. Room sizes vary, the lass next door to me has a massive room! (and it isn't a disabled one) Mine's a L shape, but compared to friends at other unis, its pretty bit. Showers like a wet room, but that's never been a problem. Course, it isn't as posh as jo fo, but at the end of the day we're students. We shouldn't want posh hotel accommodation. We should want to have the best, most fun daft, social uni experience and bugger if we get it a bit messy!

We also have cleaners, who hoover our room, clean wetrooms and help clear up all the predrinks mess =godsend!! Ours is lovely.

Catered: food is ****. buuuut, I wouldn't change go back. if your self catered at beaumont, you live in smaller houses of 4/5 I think. and the dining room is an experience, and a good way of meeting new people/being sociable with flatmates

Hope this all helps!!

Seconded. I was in Beaumont last year and it was amazing. I visited friends in all of the other places and they were no where near as nice. Which block are you in by the way?
Reply 123
Original post by ErasmusStudent
What is the difference between a standard room and a premium room ?
And does "ensuite" means that there is a private bathroom ?

It all depends on where you are staying. In Nixon Court (old) most rooms are Premium, but they are certainly not, they are just very basic! Just their way to make more money I guess. Yes en-suite means having your own bathroom.
Reply 124
I need some advice on choosing accommodation because I live in Bulgaria and haven't visited Leicester.
What I'm looking for in a room is:
- for it to be self-catered (I don't want somebody else to schedule my eating)
- a sink (I don't want to have to leave my room to brush my teeth in the morning)
- a bathroom on the floor (a friend of mine went to a uni that shall not be named and had to go down one story to use the facilities :biggrin:)
- for it to be single (I don't want to wake up anybody if I come in late or wake up early)
- for it to be within walking distance from campus (this one is optional)

I would really appreciate some suggestions. Thanks.
Hi, I've put Leicester down as my insurance choice and this morning I had an 'oh **** am I supposed to have applied for accomodation there?!' moment. So, err, yeah, if anyone can help me out with what the deal is for people who have set it as their insurance choice I'd be very grateful.
Original post by vandub
Hi, I've put Leicester down as my insurance choice and this morning I had an 'oh **** am I supposed to have applied for accomodation there?!' moment. So, err, yeah, if anyone can help me out with what the deal is for people who have set it as their insurance choice I'd be very grateful.

I'm fairly sure you won't be able to until you get your results and are holding an unconditional from Leicester (and so didn't get into your firm).

As long as you do it before something like September 1st you are guarteened a room from the uni if you're a new student.
Original post by SirMasterKey
I'm fairly sure you won't be able to until you get your results and are holding an unconditional from Leicester (and so didn't get into your firm).

As long as you do it before something like September 1st you are guarteened a room from the uni if you're a new student.

Ah, I kind of figured it would be like this, thanks very much.
Reply 128
Original post by Nimlot
I need some advice on choosing accommodation because I live in Bulgaria and haven't visited Leicester.
- a sink (I don't want to have to leave my room to brush my teeth in the morning)
- a bathroom on the floor (a friend of mine went to a uni that shall not be named and had to go down one story to use the facilities :biggrin:)
- for it to be single (I don't want to wake up anybody if I come in late or wake up early)

Nixon Court and opal Court are perfect for you, both 5 minutes away from the university.
Reply 129
Original post by Mudya
Nixon Court and opal Court are perfect for you, both 5 minutes away from the university.

What about something that isn't in the Premium price range?
It doesn't have to be en suite, as long as there is a shared bathroom not far from the room and a sink in the room I'll be just fine. That's what it was like for my brother and what I'm looking for.
John Fosters - Everyone wants to be there, it's really nice, but expensive. You will be hated for being in JoFo. One favourite bus chant is 'JoFo W*****s'. You will also be highly antisocial when it comes to your block, you will know people on your floor, one or two up/down, and this is the opinion of the majority of JoFo residents.
GMS - Varies, overall very nice, a lot of community spirit, bigger floors, so you will know everyone in your floor, block varies from block to block, but really nice. Plus it has the S-Bar, which is a major plus. Everyone loves the S-Bar.
Beaumont - The absolute bomb, love it, blocks are so friendly, everyone ends up very friendly, plus it has a bar and pool table
Digby - You'll love the company, hate the halls
Mary Gee - That place is the ghetto of the halls. I keep expecting to be mugged by someone :P
Nixon - Been there once, had a banter time, if you like things more close knit and quiet, good place. ABout 6 to a space area, secluded, so you get to know those people really well

I personally live at home, but have been to all halls, am adopted by a block :biggrin:, and have heard the opinion of pretty much everyone on their halls. Trust me, no matter where you end up you'll love it, because you'll make friends quickly etc. By the end of November, your hall will be the best no matter what, and everyone else will be living an inferior life. Everyone will hate JoFo, and if you live in JoFo you'll just laugh at people's lack of power showers and lack of Eastern European Cleaners.

It's brilliant no matter what.

What you've described sounds like you're a GMS person though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 131
Original post by MedGenFTW
John Fosters - Everyone wants to be there, it's really nice, but expensive. You will be hated for being in JoFo. One favourite bus chant is 'JoFo W*****s'. You will also be highly antisocial when it comes to your block, you will know people on your floor, one or two up/down, and this is the opinion of the majority of JoFo residents.
GMS - Varies, overall very nice, a lot of community spirit, bigger floors, so you will know everyone in your floor, block varies from block to block, but really nice. Plus it has the S-Bar, which is a major plus. Everyone loves the S-Bar.
Beaumont - The absolute bomb, love it, blocks are so friendly, everyone ends up very friendly, plus it has a bar and pool table
Mary Gee - That place is the ghetto of the halls. I keep expecting to be mugged by someone :P
Nixon - Been there once, had a banter time, if you like things more close knit and quiet, good place. ABout 6 to a space area, secluded, so you get to know those people really well

I personally live at home, but have been to all halls, am adopted by a block :biggrin:, and have heard the opinion of pretty much everyone on their halls. Trust me, no matter where you end up you'll love it, because you'll make friends quickly etc. By the end of November, your hall will be the best no matter what, and everyone else will be living an inferior life. Everyone will hate JoFo, and if you live in JoFo you'll just laugh at people's lack of power showers and lack of Eastern European Cleaners.

Good to know, thanks.
What are the rooms and kitchens like in each hall?
Original post by MedGenFTW

1. Overall all the accomodation is around the same price. I really want to know where this rumour of JoFo is more expensive has come from? Is it just because it has more of the expensiver rooms?
2. You won't be hated. It's banter, I don't condone it but you won't be hated. Heck two of my best friends live in JoFo. I don't and don't know anyone that actively hates the people who live in JoFo.
3. Everyone does, however anyone can go to any of the bars and noone will actually know if you are apart of that group, nor will they care, the 3 bars are in theory for different purposes. Also if it is just that you're closer to it that is only in theory. Many people from other halls are closer to S-bar than I am and I'm in GMS.
4. All 3 bars have pool tables. :wink:
5. It's got a bad rep to those in the rest of halls but from what I've heard of people who actually live there, they love it. I've always felt safe walking down that road.
6. Very true.

Original post by Nimlot

Don't chose Digby as that's all catered. I think it is a Single+ which has the sink in so look for the halls which have self-catered and Single+ (you might want to double check that though, it'll say on the accomodation website what each room has).

I'd go for Nixon or Opal. I think in general most people have the bathroom/sink on there floor but you could end up like me being in one of the outhouses in GMS where I'm on the second floor with the only bathroom and sink(s) being on the ground floor.

You won't really disturb anyone anyway if you come back late as long as you don't shout at the top of your voice (or if you're in a shared room).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 133
Original post by Nimlot
What about something that isn't in the Premium price range?
It doesn't have to be en suite, as long as there is a shared bathroom not far from the room and a sink in the room I'll be just fine. That's what it was like for my brother and what I'm looking for.

Old Nixon court is very cheap, its where I am staying now. It says Premium on the website, but you just get a standard single room with a wash basin and you have a shared bathroom and kitchen. New Nixon Court on the other hand is very expensive.
'We hate JoFo.' Is another chant I must point out. I must also point out a number of my friends live in JoFo. It's banter to hate them. I'm not sure I actively hate anyone.....like hunt them down :P
Reply 135
Which hall/s would you recommend? I can't decide and need advice. I do know that i want catered in Oadby though.
Reply 136
Where are most international kids rooming?
What halls are best for third years?
Just got my accommodation offer :smile: GMS Lasdun Block, Premium Single, Catered: my first choice :smile:
Also, it says Floor 01, does that mean ground floor or one up?
Reply 138
I've chosen Leicester as my insurance (only recently because i was still waiting on a reply from Warwick - which is my firm), and it says that you can't apply for accommodation unless/until you've chosen it as your firm. I'm worried that if I don't get into my firm choice, I'll end up with accommodation at Leicester that I really don't want, because of a lack of spaces left after I get my results. I've read that lot of people put down all self-catered accommodation choices, but they ended up with catered anyway, which I really don't want to happen :s-smilie: !!

What's the availability of self-catered accomm. like after results? Is there any chance of applying for accomm. at both my firm and insurance just to be on the safe side??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 139
Original post by rachhh31
I've chosen Leicester as my insurance (only recently because i was still waiting on a reply from Warwick - which is my firm), and it says that you can't apply for accommodation unless/until you've chosen it as your firm. I'm worried that if I don't get into my firm choice, I'll end up with accommodation at Leicester that I really don't want, because of a lack of spaces left after I get my results. I've read that lot of people put down all self-catered accommodation choices, but they ended up with catered anyway, which I really don't want to happen :s-smilie: !!

What's the availability of self-catered accomm. like after results? Is there any chance of applying for accomm. at both my firm and insurance just to be on the safe side??

Obviously accommodation is limited. They don't have enough spaces in the popular halls or room types to be able to offer everyone what they want.

From what I can tell, most Unis appear to have similar policies and generally give preferential accommodation allocation to those who are *firm* choice applicants......... which is only fair if you think about it logically.

I don't think there is much you can do apart from apply as soon as you are allowed to if you miss your firm. If you end up in bad halls or catered there may also be the option of transferring room / accommodation type a few weeks into the term once a few students drop out.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending