The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2860
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Fair enough, balancing a job with the course could be so stressful. Burning out in the middle of a medicine degree would be horrible!

Haha, it sounds so cute and student-y.
True, but walking really hurts your feet after a bit. :frown: in the hols I walked everywhere instead of using a bus to save money and ohhh, man, my feet started to hurt so much. :frown: By the end of the holidays I was taking off my shoes cos my feet hurt too much.

that depends on the shoes you wear and how far your walking. For me it's trainers and a couple of miles a day if I decided to go on a trek. Between just normal walking at the minute and years of abuse on trampolines I think they will manage. Also I haven't ridden a bike in years so would probably fall off.
Original post by VaVe
that depends on the shoes you wear and how far your walking. For me it's trainers and a couple of miles a day if I decided to go on a trek. Between just normal walking at the minute and years of abuse on trampolines I think they will manage. Also I haven't ridden a bike in years so would probably fall off.

That's true. My shoes were just normal shoes and I was walking about 5 miles a day. It was fun, just I got blisters which were so annoying.

Oooh, you trampoline? I have zilch grace, I fail at things like that. :p: How long have you been doing it for?

I don't think you ever forget how to ride a bike once you've learned. You'd be shaky to start with but you'd be fine after a few days if you did decide to ride everywhere.
Reply 2862
That's true. My shoes were just normal shoes and I was walking about 5 miles a day. It was fun, just I got blisters which were so annoying.

Oooh, you trampoline? I have zilch grace, I fail at things like that. :p: How long have you been doing it for?

I don't think you ever forget how to ride a bike once you've learned. You'd be shaky to start with but you'd be fine after a few days if you did decide to ride everywhere.

Been trampolining about 4 years and coaching for three it's fantastic. I'd probably be okay on a bike after a while but I'm not sure if I'll need one.
Is it possible to get into Medicine in scotland without getting five A's??

I think i could get 4 A's and a B but not sure if that would get me in?
Original post by 1311grant

3 As and a B is fine for everywhere apart from Peninsula I think, for AS level.

Though it does depend what your B is in. If it's in Chem you might not be able to get in.
Original post by 1311grant

Not sure. On the whole, Scottish Advanced Highers are easier than A levels, so whereas they may be more lenient with AAB at A level, they may not be as lenient with Advanced Highers.
Exam on Monday! :eek3:
If you need some decent information about Medicine Interviews:

http://www.sci2.co.uk/Medical%20Interview%20Presentation.pdf

If you want to know more about Medical Ethics:
http://www.sci2.co.uk/An%20Introduction%20in%20Medical%20Philosophy.pdf

Any criticisms are welcome, since I wrote and designed them myself.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kahtapluhar
If you need some decent information about Medicine Interviews:

http://www.sci2.co.uk/Medical%20Interview%20Presentation.pdf

If you want to know more about Medical Ethics:
http://www.sci2.co.uk/An%20Introduction%20in%20Medical%20Philosophy.pdf

Any criticisms are welcome, since I wrote and designed them myself.

Those are actually really good, did you really design them yourself? Thanks for sharing :smile:
Original post by VaVe
Been trampolining about 4 years and coaching for three it's fantastic. I'd probably be okay on a bike after a while but I'm not sure if I'll need one.

Ooh, have you done competitions and stuff?

True, just go with the flow I guess. I'm getting excited for you guys (in y13), 5 months to go!! :biggrin:
Original post by itsrayray:)
Next week:/
Erm I'm with AQA for maths, OCR salters for chemistry, OCR for Bio, not sure about german or english lit though, i'll have to check

I'm on AQA for maths as well, is the OCR mark scheme as harsh as the AQA one?
Reply 2871
Original post by JChoudhry
Exam on Monday! :eek3:

Same - biol 1 :/
Original post by Normandy114
Those are actually really good, did you really design them yourself? Thanks for sharing :smile:

Yes, I made them all myself ground up. I design things as a hobby, The info is good too, I didn't like the fact that some people paid for resources like this so I made them myself after reading some ethics books. The Pictures are all from:

www.sxc.hu

but the rest is me.
Original post by kahtapluhar
Yes, I made them all myself ground up. I design things as a hobby, The info is good too, I didn't like the fact that some people paid for resources like this so I made them myself after reading some ethics books. The Pictures are all from:

www.sxc.hu

but the rest is me.

You're a legend, thank you so much. :smile:
Original post by navarre
Not sure. On the whole, Scottish Advanced Highers are easier than A levels, so whereas they may be more lenient with AAB at A level, they may not be as lenient with Advanced Highers.

I think the question was about Scottish Highers rather than Advanced Highers? For 2011 entry some Scottish Unis were asking for AAAAB at Higher for Medicine, but that might have changed for 2012 entry.

Just for info: In Scotland you would usually sit advanced highers in 6th year (usually 3 subjects if you wanted to study medicine, though 4 can be done, or extra higher subjects as well) and if you get good grades you can often apply for entry to the second year of degree courses in Scotland. This doesn't apply to medicine however.
If you apply to study medicine at a Scottish Uni as a school leaver you can do so on the basis of Scottish Higher results and be given an unconditional offer before you sit advanced highers.
As far as I understand it Scottish Highers feature some aspects of AS and A2 level content so I don't think there is a massive difference between the next step up of Advanced Highers vs A levels?? But please correct me if I'm wrong! :colondollar:

To 1131 Grant: I presume you have checked the entry requirements of the Scottish Unis - the info being on their web sites. So if you are asking whether it is enough to have 4 A's at Higher even if the entry req is AAAAB, you are right to be wary because most applicants will have 5 A's or even more at Higher, plus there will be re-applicants with Advanced Higher results as well. You would have to make sure that every other aspect of your application was strong - PS, work exp, UKCAt, interview etc. Medicine is very competitive so work as hard as you can for those results, and then evaluate your position in August when you know what you have. Meanwhile stay positive and work on the other elements over the summer. Good Luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2875
Ooh, have you done competitions and stuff?

True, just go with the flow I guess. I'm getting excited for you guys (in y13), 5 months to go!! :biggrin:

no competitions I used to do gymnastics ones when I was younger and hated them.
You're excited? I'm terrified! The exams are so soon... Lol it'll be fine though but I do have days where I think im going to fail everything.
Reply 2876
Original post by VaVe

Hey, I was just wondering on your UCAS form on your banner thing, what does the starting date mean? I assumed you'd start them all at the same time, or does it mean something else? :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Hey, I was just wondering on your UCAS form on your banner thing, what does the starting date mean? I assumed you'd start them all at the same time, or does it mean something else? :smile:

All unis have different start dates, they all have different freshers weeks :smile: That section fills in automatically when you submit your form, nothing for you to worry about.
Keele look sooo attractive, was looking at their prospectus yesterday
Reply 2879
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
All unis have different start dates, they all have different freshers weeks :smile: That section fills in automatically when you submit your form, nothing for you to worry about.

Oh okay thanks, I read it wrong. :tongue: I thought it meant the date the UCAS application started, not the term. Which makes no sense now I realise it says Sept 11 haha.

Latest

Trending

Trending