The Student Room Group

Durham MA Marketing Management

I need help, advice, opinions etc. Ive got an unconditional offer for the above masters, thinking very carefully about it. Does anyone have any experience of the business school at Durham?. From what I gather, this particular MA is new but just looking for thoughts really, would it be worthwhile, reputation etc...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I also have an unconditional offer for this course but from what I understand, the fact that it's on Queen's Campus means it is not even in Durham and perhaps not as well respected as other masters courses offered by the business school. I'm not sure if this is true but I don't think I will accept my offer given what I've heard.
Reply 2
It is true that it is the Stockton campus, although I have never really thought about how this might make a difference. Not sure.
Hey I am currently studying in Durham, Queen's campus, feel free to ask me some questions if you want! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Frenchie 101
Hey I am currently studying in Durham, Queen's campus, feel free to ask me some questions if you want! :smile:

Hi which course are you studying? do you know anything about the business school?
Im doing business at the moment, I am in my third year. The business school is really good, the staff is very nice, accommodation is brillant and the lecturers very enthusiastic!
Reply 6
acelib82 and Scatz...

Can you please mention when did you get this unconditional offer?
Because i applied for the MA Management program early in march, and i still have not received a reply from them yet..when should i hope to receive a reply?

@ Frenchie 101. Hi can you please tell that how and what difference does it make if you're in a different college.. i mean.. they all belong to the Durham university right ?
Reply 7
I applied towards the end of March and got a reply exactly a week later. I would assume that Management is a more competitive course though, so I wouldn't panic. Perhaps you can call and ask? Sometimes it takes time though and I'd imagine that your reply will come soon. Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Schatz, thanks for the reply :smile:

Hmm... well.. i guess then i wont be getting into Durham then, because, i would have got an acceptance uptil now. Still hoping for the best though, you never know. Yeah i have e-mailed them a couple of times last week i guess but they have'nt replied to that yet.

I guess its either Leicester or Strathclyde for me then.. unless i get acceptances from Lancaster or Durham...
Reply 9
Doesn't mean that you'll get a rejection, chin up :smile: Southampton told me they'd reply to my application within 7 days and 7 weeks later I'd heard nothing, but I got an offer yesterday. Hope the same happens for you!

Out of interest do you prefer Durham or Lancaster? I kind of wish I'd applied to Lancaster but hadn't even heard of it until after I applied! It sounds great for business subjects though :smile:
Reply 10
I hope you're right Schatz. :smile:

I'm not so sure as to which one i'd pick between Durham and Lancaster, but i'll definitely prefer them over Leicester ! Both are equally good imo. Durham has an overall better reputation, and Lancaster has a better reputation in the business courses.
Hey Zidane :smile:
If you choose Durham, you will be based at Queen's campus, so you will have the choice between stephenson and john snow. Honestly, I loved my first year being in stephenson but 2nd and 3rd years were just disappointing. Snow is the best atm, their balls and events are very nice. The advantage of being at stephenson is to be literally 1 minute away from the lecture theater and the sport facilities. With snow, you will be 10-15 minutes from it but at the same time, Sainsbury's is just next to it. Further, you will not wear gowns on the matriculation day if you choose stephenson.
Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Zidane
acelib82 and Scatz...

Can you please mention when did you get this unconditional offer?
Because i applied for the MA Management program early in march, and i still have not received a reply from them yet..when should i hope to receive a reply?

@ Frenchie 101. Hi can you please tell that how and what difference does it make if you're in a different college.. i mean.. they all belong to the Durham university right ?

I applied on 2nd march and my offer came 3 weeks later on 23rd, I have accepted it now so v pleased!
Reply 13
I accepted mine about two weeks ago and paid the course and accommodation deposit the same day, but I still haven't heard which of the two colleges I'll be allocated too, much less where I'll be staying.. Have you heard anything acelib?

Let us know what you decide Zidane, hope you get the offers!
Reply 14
Original post by Schatz
I accepted mine about two weeks ago and paid the course and accommodation deposit the same day, but I still haven't heard which of the two colleges I'll be allocated too, much less where I'll be staying.. Have you heard anything acelib?

Let us know what you decide Zidane, hope you get the offers!

oh you decided on Durham in the end? I got an email after i paid the course deposit,saying i would now need to apply for a college etc, so I completed this form online last week, but as yet, nothing. Have you heard yet?
Reply 15
Original post by acelib82
oh you decided on Durham in the end? I got an email after i paid the course deposit,saying i would now need to apply for a college etc, so I completed this form online last week, but as yet, nothing. Have you heard yet?

Yes, I decided to brave Stockton, doesn't sound as bad as initially thought :smile: Did you pay the accommodation deposit too? I paid it on the 18th April and still haven't heard anything, seems it takes a while.. wish they'd tell us though, it would be nice to know where I'll be staying! Which college did you put as your preference?
Reply 16
Original post by Schatz
Yes, I decided to brave Stockton, doesn't sound as bad as initially thought :smile: Did you pay the accommodation deposit too? I paid it on the 18th April and still haven't heard anything, seems it takes a while.. wish they'd tell us though, it would be nice to know where I'll be staying! Which college did you put as your preference?

I put Stephenson college,what about you?. I havent applied for accomodation but will be staying at home and travelling by train as I am a local. In some ways I know this will have its disadvantages,but at least better financially.
Reply 17
Ok that's understandable when it's so pricy! Sorry if you already told me that and I forgot btw, my memory is awful. I put Stephenson too so maybe I'll see you there in October :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Schatz
Ok that's understandable when it's so pricy! Sorry if you already told me that and I forgot btw, my memory is awful. I put Stephenson too so maybe I'll see you there in October :smile:

I got an email on thursday to say I had been accepted into Stephenson, wondered if you had heard anything?

Quick Reply

Latest