The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Haha.. he's a sad fella...
Reply 2541
Original post by calmflare
Am really confused... got into the MA Culture and Difference programme at Durham Uni and the MA Human Rights Studies at Columbia University (New York). Am not sure which to take.... I am interested in both (both courses interest me), but I'm really into some of the courses in Durham's programme and am drawn to Columbia's international standing and reputation as a university and for human rights training.

What would you guys choose? :smile:

If I had the choice, US > UK.

Too lazy to take SATS though!

Congrats on your offers btw.
Haha thanks!
All the best with college too... :smile:

Original post by volante

Thanks for that!
And now we wait...

All the best with college etc! :smile:

Original post by boucy
Columbia without doubt in my opinion

Rep
Job opportunities(being at NY)

would be much better however if cost is an issue durham is a fine choice
Reply 2544
Thanks for that!
And now we wait...

All the best with college etc! :smile:

No problem i am also spit between US and the UK
Indiana or Aberystywyth

Both are good at the majors i want to study in
Int pol/studies(as what they taught you in NS, same **** different names) with econ

but one cost significantly cheaper , yet the other offer a better int degree mileage
(edited 12 years ago)
Wow Indiana? That's a public Ivy!

Usually, people who struggle between the UK and US generally go to the US for undergrad and the UK for postgrad, but in your case it's rather complicated since both departments are very strong, with Aberystwyth being the oldest school in the world to offer that major if I remember correctly.. and its castle-like campus is BEAUTIFUL! I'd have thought both would give you the same mileage, but studying in the US would, of course, give you a broader knowledge base amid the hot political climate that exists there.

This study is rather old, but would it help? http://www.politicalstudies.org/pdf/psr/hix.pdf

Incidentally, I was offered a place at Aberystwyth too... we'd have been classmates if I picked that haha :smile:

All the best with your decision-making!

Warmest,
S

Original post by boucy
Indiana or Aberystywyth

Int pol/studies(as what they taught you in NS, same **** different names) with econ

but one cost significantly cheaper , yet the other offer a better int degree mileage
But then again no one in Singapore seems to have heard of Aber and you're right to say that IU-Bloomington is more well-known. Also, you can always make back the money that you'd spend on your degree (unless you're studying medicine and drop out halfway...) :smile:

Usually, people who struggle between the UK and US generally go to the US for undergrad and the UK for postgrad, but in your case it's rather complicated since both departments are very strong, with Aberystwyth being the oldest school in the world to offer that major if I remember correctly.. and its castle-like campus is BEAUTIFUL! I'd have thought both would give you the same mileage, but studying in the US would, of course, give you a broader knowledge base amid the hot political climate that exists there.

This study is rather old, but would it help? http://www.politicalstudies.org/pdf/psr/hix.pdf

Incidentally, I was offered a place at Aberystwyth too... we'd have been classmates if I picked that haha :smile:

Warmest,
S
Reply 2547

Warmest,
S

hahah what coincident! looks like singapore is really a small place , even in the forums:wink:

but well Indiana may be a public ivy, Columbia is a real ivy. Even thou Indiana seems the more obvious choice , Aber has a certain charm that really make me think twice. But whats putting Indiana in a slight favor for me is that with tightening immigration policies. Indiana degree seems more relevant if i were to return to singapore or surrounding region for my career.

and i doubt i will drop out from a course which i have clear interest in:biggrin:

Anyway so ill be assuming you would be studying at Columbia for your M.A?. Best of luck it is really a stellar and competitive school and thanks for the link i have seen it before but thanks for bringing it up! it could be helpful to others too
(edited 12 years ago)
You're welcome!

Yep, leaning over to Columbia now... am feeling a bit sad over losing Durham, since it really seems like a school in which I'll be happy (as compared to Columbia which makes me feel like I'll be working myself raw). Am considering doing my PhD at Durham though :smile:

I think you'd have better alumni networking with IU. Let us know which you ultimately choose! Are you going to uni this year or next? :smile:

Warmest,
S

Original post by boucy
hahah what coincident! looks like singapore is really a small place , even in the forums:wink:

but well Indiana may be a public ivy, Columbia is a real ivy. Even thou Indiana seems the more obvious choice , Aber has a certain charm that really make me think twice. But whats putting Indiana in a slight favor for me is that with tightening immigration policies. Indiana degree seems more relevant if i were to return to singapore or surrounding region for my career.

and i doubt i will drop out from a course which i have clear interest in:biggrin:

Anyway so ill be assuming you would be studying at Columbia for your M.A?. Best of luck it is really a stellar and competitive school and thanks for the link i have seen it before but thanks for bringing it up! it could be helpful to others too
Reply 2549
You're welcome!

Yep, leaning over to Columbia now... am feeling a bit sad over losing Durham, since it really seems like a school in which I'll be happy (as compared to Columbia which makes me feel like I'll be working myself raw). Am considering doing my PhD at Durham though :smile:

I think you'd have better alumni networking with IU. Let us know which you ultimately choose! Are you going to uni this year or next? :smile:

Warmest,
S

HAHA! looks like both of us are caught in the same happy dilemma(its always good to have choices). Somehow UK schools gives us a warm fuzzy feeling , yet by paper US seem to be the right choice.

yeap this year intake what about you? anyway feel free to drop me a PM incase i did not follow this thread as often
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2550
Original post by narev
honestly...i doubt you're an incoming first year, considering all your previous posts in different parts of the forum. But continue posting - i need a break in between my exams, and trolls are fun :smile:

go back to india .
Original post by wqliu90
I emailed the admissions team to ask about the CAS and this was their reply:
"Once your qualifications have been verified (they are currently in the process now), CAS numbers will be issued in late May/ early June"
So you have to get verified copies of your A-level results asap and mail it to them :smile: Why intercollegiate instead of LSE halls?

hi, on the visa website, it said you need

address in the UK

and proof of it.

i'm going to kcl! hopefully! but the accomodation results will only be out in mid july, so it means i can't apply till i know exactly which hall i'm allocated to? what happens if the accomodation results get released in august. it won't be enough time then..

also, KCL hasn't mentioned a single thing about CAS, any1 know about it? any advice on what im supposed to do =X?
You're welcome!

Warmest,
S

wew columbia, congrats man! go for it is what i wud say, since i was rejected by all the ivies haha
Reply 2553
Original post by volante

Couldn't agree more. I would definitely choose the States if there were no college essays and SATS! and of course the money! xD
Reply 2554
Original post by eirelavtan

address in the UK

and proof of it.

i'm going to kcl! hopefully! but the accomodation results will only be out in mid july, so it means i can't apply till i know exactly which hall i'm allocated to? what happens if the accomodation results get released in august. it won't be enough time then..

also, KCL hasn't mentioned a single thing about CAS, any1 know about it? any advice on what im supposed to do =X?

email the Kcl admissions office :smile: they respond fairly quickly
Reply 2555
Original post by boucy
Indiana or Aberystywyth

I don't know about the US, but my cousin is doing his phd in aberystywyth in some field of political science, apparently aberystywyth is quite reputable for pol sci, even though in the general university rankings, it ranks low. He says that its quite a small and close-knit community in the department.
Reply 2556
Original post by eirelavtan

address in the UK

and proof of it.

Argh same problem here, I won't be assigned a college in my university until August. I thought we could still make it even if we started then, when's the latest we should finish all the visa stuff? Term only starts in Oct for me.

My university hasn't said a thing about CAS either.
Reply 2557
Original post by luis92
Couldn't agree more. I would definitely choose the States if there were no college essays and SATS! and of course the money! xD

Out of curiousity, which uni are you headed to?

And any idea how much more does an education in US cost compared to UK?
Reply 2558
Original post by volante

To help answer your question , for my own calculation between Indiana and aber the cost disparity is large

60k+ vs 38k+
Original post by volante

if u r looking at ivies, stanford and UCs(Berkeley, Los Angeles, etc) it wud be >= 55k USD a year. if u r looking at slightly lower level of top unis, then usually >= 50k
for community college, probably around 30k or so.

uk is usually around 25k pounds rite(except for imperial maybe) n since 1 GBP 1.617 USD, or according to google anyway. US unis r more ex than UK's

Quick Reply

Latest