The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hummingbird28
I dont know why cbse is considered low level exam by some who dont even know it course structure

Low level? When I studied in Dubai,my friends from an American School ( They do the normal British exams but most of them skip grade 13 and do the AP's instead) told me that their Computer Science tutor told them that the Indian curriculum is the best when it comes to Computers :smile:

We do Java and C++ and we've done a lot of projects on them using pretty difficult header files.I personally think ICSE >> CBSE since I've had friends who did ICSE from CBSE and went back to CBSE.And we're pretty cool at Math :redface:

Not trying to put down any curriculum but I'd like to see people do the IIT Entrance exam.It's supposed to be really hard and even more hard to get into! My dad tried to coach me in it but I stayed away from it.Now I regret not taking IIT coaching since it could have made Math much easier for me! It's not a good thing but we people can't even use calculators! :frown: Difficult calculations are done through logarithms :frown: calculators can save a lot of time but then I'm not used to it and that made it pretty hard for me to do my SATs.
Reply 41
Me too.yep.dont mind being called a nerd. Infact i m still apprehensive of how will i escape those nights where my dorm mate wanna party.have u devised a way yet????????

If we both do end up in Bristol, give me a call and we could hide in some library and make nerd stamps for ourselves :tongue:

Jokes apart, saying no is a great idea. Besides, they don't have traditional USA kind of dorms, so we'll have some privacy hiding in our own rooms :biggrin:
Original post by aankhi

But i still dont understand why are all us universities even bad one at the top of international tables
Original post by aankhi

Haven't u read those forums on what students do everynight. They get drunk, play drinking games, literally. And then what follows is famous. I'll have to find a house where all are nerds.
(edited 12 years ago)
Manchester too has few stories about its mech dept. So no chance there

Original post by aankhi
"Stories" -- please elaborate :smile:

I was more drawn by international rep+what you learn is 20-30% university and rest how much we decide to care about what is going on in class, anyway. :smile: However, I'm still a little iffy about turning down Bristol :colondollar: - I just feel mad to be doing it.

Read this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1617772

And i'd advise Bristol over Manchester too.
Reply 45
Haven't u read those forums on what students do everynight. They get drunk, play drinking games, literally. And that what follows is famous. I'll have to find a house where all are nerds.

I plan to live in university accommodation. Some of the halls are rampant for that kind of behaviour, so I avoided those. I didn't look for an all-nerd hall, but one where there will, hopefully, be a social life with some boundaries, if you know what I mean.

But i still dont understand why are all us universities even bad one at the top of international tables

I had the same question!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by WhiteIphone4
Read this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1617772

And i'd advise Bristol over Manchester too.

I'm not applying for Mech Engg, but thanks anyway :smile:

EDIT: Oh God, iPhone. I die at the prospect of having one!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by aankhi
I got rejected by NYU :redface: But US repels me for UG studies because studying a bunch of things that you'll not need for a career?! - that is SO studying-environmental-education-and-Hindi-for-ISC-despite-being-a-Science-student kind of situation! :tongue:

MEng is a masters just for name. It is still just an undergraduate degree. I know because my initial offer is for MEng (I'm going to change during registration). I'd rather get a BSc and then an MSc :smile:

Congrats on your offers! :biggrin: I was as happy when Bristol accepted me, I had not expected it. I didn't apply to any place that's average or below because I would have rather spent much less and studied in a good Indian college instead :cool:

Nah, I took ISC. You must have heard about the racket with our Math paper.......I had died when I saw the paper because I could answer about 80% and I was hoping for >95 :frown:

Our physics exam was put all over the papers! The paper was really lengthy and I didn't get to check my paper at all! :frown: I heard a boy killed himself after the physics paper on March 1st.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/upset-over-physics-paper-class-xii-student/757541/
The paper wasn't really that bad,it just consumed a lot of time and the 3 mark questions were horrible! Well one question was but they needed a lot of time to work out.

I had a panic attack with the Math paper :tongue: I've always loved and feared Math :frown: And last years Math paper was sooo good! I could have easily got 92+ in it and this years was horrible for me :frown: I scored better in my mock papers for sure >_> Is ISC = ICSE? I'm not sure..sorry :\ but I bet it was hard since Indian math papers are really hard.I had the hardest time in Grade 11 ^^

I didn't know much about British universities..I didn't even know much about the country except for Harry Potter and Oxbridge since most kid from my school studied either in the US or India. I always thought I'd end up studying in the US..but then I realized how expensive it was.I know people who studied with me who got into MIT,Columbia and Brown.Columbia's been a dream but they rejected me >_> and I didn't even bother about MIT.Brown's the best for arts..I wanted to go to NYU since I have friends there but I wouldn't want my dad to spend that much! Plus I'm going to give him back all the money I spent on university so if I picked NYU I'd be in debt :'(
See i dont think its easy to say no to a bunch of 7-8 house mates with whom u will live for an entire year.i dont want to be made fun of!!!but we could definitly be out of their way anyways by studing in libraries late nights at least untill they've gone to pubs
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EasyA

Original post by EasyA
Our physics exam was put all over the papers! The paper was really lengthy and I didn't get to check my paper at all! :frown: I heard a boy killed himself after the physics paper on March 1st.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/upset-over-physics-paper-class-xii-student/757541/
The paper wasn't really that bad,it just consumed a lot of time and the 3 mark questions were horrible! Well one question was but they needed a lot of time to work out.

I had a panic attack with the Math paper :tongue: I've always loved and feared Math :frown: And last years Math paper was sooo good! I could have easily got 92+ in it and this years was horrible for me :frown: I scored better in my mock papers for sure >_> Is ISC = ICSE? I'm not sure..sorry :\ but I bet it was hard since Indian math papers are really hard.I had the hardest time in Grade 11 ^^

I didn't know much about British universities..I didn't even know much about the country except for Harry Potter and Oxbridge since most kid from my school studied either in the US or India. I always thought I'd end up studying in the US..but then I realized how expensive it was.I know people who studied with me who got into MIT,Columbia and Brown.Columbia's been a dream but they rejected me >_> and I didn't even bother about MIT.Brown's the best for arts..I wanted to go to NYU since I have friends there but I wouldn't want my dad to spend that much! Plus I'm going to give him back all the money I spent on university so if I picked NYU I'd be in debt :'(

I had that dream too but got rejected by harvard.was stupid to apply there anyways. But at the end learned a lot and have matured since then.so all is well
Reply 50
Original post by EasyA

ICSE = class 10 board exam, ISC = class 12. Lol, well, we all knew only about Oxbridge and HP, so cheers :wink:

I really doubt your dad would take back any money, you know. The whole wonderful thing about parents is that they are wonderful! :smile: For that reason, I didn't tell my dad that I didn't even apply to Imperial - he would have freaked out.

WHY do people kill themselves at the drop of a hat?! Geez, one would think an 18 (or so) year old person would have more sense, but I could be wrong...

See i dont think its easy to say no to a bunch of 7-8 house mates with whom u will live for an entire year.i dont want to be made fun of!!!but we could definitly be out of their way anyways by studing in libraries late nights at least untill they've gone to pubs

I am also counting on the fact that Indians have a good/bad name for studying all the time, don't worry about that so much. LOTS of more imp things to worry about..like wanting to jump back on the first flight back home as soon as we're left alone (I'm speaking for myself :tongue:).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aankhi

Original post by aankhi
ICSE = class 10 board exam, ISC = class 12. Lol, well, we all knew only about Oxbridge and HP, so cheers :wink:

I really doubt your dad would take back any money, you know. The whole wonderful thing about parents is that they are wonderful! :smile: For that reason, I didn't tell my dad that I didn't even apply to Imperial - he would have freaked out.

WHY do people kill themselves at the drop of a hat?! Geez, one would think an 18 (or so) year old person would have more sense, but I could be wrong...

I am also counting on the fact that Indians have a good/bad name for studying all the time, don't worry about that so much. LOTS of more imp things to worry about..like wanting to jump back on the first flight back home as soon as we're left alone (I'm speaking for myself :tongue:).

Well i checked mech timetable and lucky that contact hours are from 9am to 6pm meaning i wouldn't get back before that and then obviously homework,projects. .......
Reply 52
Aah are you girls heading to Bristol?

I'm most likely to, to study medicine though =) Let's get in touch if we're all going to the same place-it's good to get to know a coupla people before leaving for uni =)
Ppl...I am from Delhi and I got rejected by Imperial cuz they don't consider CBSE...mechanical.
However, i got conditional offers from UCL, manchester, birmingham, warwick.
I firmed UCL and insured manchester. I also got an unconditional offer from McGill in Canada.

As for my boards, they were totally a disaster. I got 92 in 10th...and now i might end up with as low as 84-86. I am totally freaked out and I don't know what to do.
UCL offered by 80 in chem and phy. Ill get 85 in phy but around 80 in chem.
IN math, they said 85..and you won't believe, i got 91 in 10th and might end up with 75-80. It was sooo bad....i even got 100 in the mock tests twice!!
GOD...
I feel like dropping one year and giving A levels...what say
Reply 54
Original post by urji21
Aah are you girls heading to Bristol?

I'm most likely to, to study medicine though =) Let's get in touch if we're all going to the same place-it's good to get to know a coupla people before leaving for uni =)

Got my grades yesterday and I made it! :smile: Going for Computer Science...need to choose accommodation though!
Reply 55
Original post by aankhi
Got my grades yesterday and I made it! :smile: Going for Computer Science...need to choose accommodation though!

That's fantastic! well done =D

I'm firming bristol too! Excited beyond belief :biggrin:

Have you had a chance to look at the accom?
Reply 56
Original post by ravikrishnagood
Ppl...I am from Delhi and I got rejected by Imperial cuz they don't consider CBSE...mechanical.
I firmed UCL and insured manchester. I also got an unconditional offer from McGill in Canada.

As for my boards, they were totally a disaster. I got 92 in 10th...and now i might end up with as low as 84-86. I am totally freaked out and I don't know what to do.
IN math, they said 85..and you won't believe, i got 91 in 10th and might end up with 75-80. It was sooo bad....i even got 100 in the mock tests twice!!
GOD...

Why don't you wait for your results and see? Don't lose hope :smile: xxx
Reply 57
Original post by urji21
That's fantastic! well done =D

I'm firming bristol too! Excited beyond belief :biggrin:

Have you had a chance to look at the accom?

It's unfortunate that I can't visit to check out the place.. Guess I, like every third person, will apply for Wills and some other catered hall that I am yet to deliberate o.... :smile:

What about you? Does Bristol send any accommodation booklet or something?

I almost chose Manchester, but nos I'm beginning to feel excited about Bristol! :biggrin: My offer was made unconditional firm today, I was so excited that I could have hugged random strangers on the streetd! :biggrin:
Reply 58

GOD...

Let's hope for the best.. I was in ISC board and I was convinced I would not even manage an 80. I got 92...Miracles do happen!
Reply 59

GOD...

How did it go?

Latest

Trending

Trending