The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by liviaaa
Maybe not digestion though, as they've had a long question on it before - how is starch digested?

I doubt they would just ask about the structure of it, as it's such a small part of the spec.

Hey liviaa :L
Remember talking to you :smile:
Reply 41
If the long quesiton is on immunity I hope it's about phagocytosis. Probably won't be though :getmecoat:
Reply 42
Original post by EffKayy
Hey liviaa :L
Remember talking to you :smile:

Aha yup :smile: Feeling ready for Monday?
Reply 43
Original post by liviaaa
Aha yup :smile: Feeling ready for Monday?

Kinda!! \:
You?
I didn't think immunity would come up, and was sure something else would come up! Not too good on that |:
Reply 44
Original post by EffKayy
Kinda!! \:
You?
I didn't think immunity would come up, and was sure something else would come up! Not too good on that |:

Ermm ish, I'm going through all my notes today, then some past papers tomorrow. Hopefully then I'll feel better!

I hope it doesn't too, I don't like the B/T cell thing. Phagocytosis would be alright though. :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by liviaaa
Ermm ish, I'm going through all my notes today, then some past papers tomorrow. Hopefully then I'll feel better!

I hope it doesn't too, I don't like the B/T cell thing. Phagocytosis would be alright though. :smile:

I don't like the B/T cell thing too! aha! I hope they ask a lot about ultracentrifugation and why you use buffer solution etc!
So nervous :frown: :'(
Reply 46
Original post by EffKayy
I don't like the B/T cell thing too! aha! I hope they ask a lot about ultracentrifugation and why you use buffer solution etc!
So nervous :frown: :'(

Yeah that would be all right. :smile: I'm guessing they'll be a lot on enzymes/active sites - there always is!

Is this your first time, or resit?
Reply 47
Original post by liviaaa
Yeah that would be all right. :smile: I'm guessing they'll be a lot on enzymes/active sites - there always is!

Is this your first time, or resit?

Resit. Got a C first time round, mainly because of silly little mistakes and lack of specific terminology. Gonna take my time on each question now (I know it seems a bit obvious to not rush it but i kinda rushed it last time :L )
Reply 48
Original post by EffKayy
Resit. Got a C first time round, mainly because of silly little mistakes and lack of specific terminology. Gonna take my time on each question now (I know it seems a bit obvious to not rush it but i kinda rushed it last time :L )

Oh okay :/ Well hopefully you'll do better this time!

Also has asthma ever come up yet?
Reply 49
My mistakes from Jan paper:

*inability to describe the graph with figures. Make sure you include figures in descriptions from graphs people.
*AQA need specific answers. For the question asking you to describe the lock and key mechanism: I wrote enzyme is complementary to the substrate, but the markscheme specifically wanted active site.
*My own mistake - writing cancer takes a lot of time to be made, instead of develop (frustrating but i don't know why i wrote made?!?)
*This year was the only paper with a 3 mark question regarding "Can you conclude that ......... caused ....." or something, and I wrote what was on the previous markschemes, e.g. correlation not causation, other factors etc. But this time there was actually a mark for saying positive correlation!
*Read the graph properly. For the question about no change in mass or whatever, I wrote 0.34, thinking that the markscheme would allow 0.34-0.36, but you had to write 0.35, so i got 0 marks.
Reply 50
Original post by liviaaa

I think so .. once!
Reply 51
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by liviaaa

Yep, but it was only like 2 marks. I think it was why an asthma attack leads to less oxygen in the blood or something.
Most of the paper will probably be how science works anyway.
Reply 53
Original post by EffKayy
I think so .. once!

Original post by oHellno
Yep, but it was only like 2 marks. I think it was why an asthma attack leads to less oxygen in the blood or something.

Oh okay, so maybe that could come up. Then again the Jan paper had 2 long lung questions..
Reply 54
Original post by Insanity514
Most of the paper will probably be how science works anyway.

They're only allowed to give 8 marks of questions on HSW.
Reply 55
Expecting HSW questions on control groups, etc
What kind of questions would come up for digestion?
Reply 57
Can anyone add to my explantation of Phagocytosis:

(from my textbook)
1)Chemical products of the pathogen act as attractants, causing the phagocytes to move towards the pathogen
2) Phagyocytes attach themselves to the surface of the pathogen
3) They engulf it, forming a vesicle (phagosome)
4) Lysosomes move towards it and fuse with it, hydrolysing the insoluble molecules to make it more soluble
5) Soluble products from the break down of the pathogen are absorbed into the cytoplasm of the pathogen
Reply 58
Original post by Insanity514
What kind of questions would come up for digestion?

I think they would ask specifically about the enzymes digesting. Like in the jan paper they would give you an equation to fill in. So an example would be:
Sucrose + ____ --> ______ + ______
Which is water, glucose and fructose.

Then they would ask stuff about why sucrase can't hydrolyse lactose? etc

I don't think they would ask you specifically to outline a specific part of the digestive system, rather just chemical digestion e.g. enzymes.
Reply 59
I KNOW!
THE NT book includes stuff about lymph nodes which i wrote in the exam and didn't get credited for!

Quick Reply

Latest