Original post by liviaaa
Same - biol 1 :/

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2881
Original post by JChoudhry
Good luck :smile:

Reply 2882
Original post by liviaaa
Hey, I was just wondering on your UCAS form on your banner thing, what does the starting date mean? I assumed you'd start them all at the same time, or does it mean something else? :smile:

it's the date the course starts. They all start at sbout the same date but that's the start of the university term.
Reply 2883
Original post by VaVe
it's the date the course starts. They all start at sbout the same date but that's the start of the university term.

Okay thanks. :smile: Sorry I misread it, and thought it meant the date the UCAS application had started.
Original post by Fluffy Chuckie
I'm on AQA for maths as well, is the OCR mark scheme as harsh as the AQA one?

OCR salters is very harsh...well my teachers say it is compared to others. not sure about it for biology though.
Original post by itsrayray:)
OCR salters is very harsh...well my teachers say it is compared to others. not sure about it for biology though.

This might be a weird question but what is an OCR salter? :redface:

Just another exam board like AQA and Edexcel methinks.

Salters is the 'B' Specification for chemistry on the OCR exam board.

Supposedly it's better than other chemistry specs because it has a 'context-led' approach where you, for instance, learn all the chemistry that's involved in global warming and ozone depletion, rather than learning about bond vibration, homolytic fission etc. as discreet concepts.
Original post by Stegosaurus
Salters is the 'B' Specification for chemistry on the OCR exam board.

Supposedly it's better than other chemistry specs because it has a 'context-led' approach where you, for instance, learn all the chemistry that's involved in global warming and ozone depletion, rather than learning about bond vibration, homolytic fission etc. as discreet concepts.

I do it. It's aims the hardest course, and aims to be an old fashioned one. It achieves both.
Original post by navarre
I do it. It's aims the hardest course, and aims to be an old fashioned one. It achieves both.

Yeah, we do it too. I like the way Chemical Ideas is taught, but the Chemical Storylines and the need to know so much contextual, and ultimately fairly irrelevant, stuff drives me mad.
Yeah, we do it too. I like the way Chemical Ideas is taught, but the Chemical Storylines and the need to know so much contextual, and ultimately fairly irrelevant, stuff drives me mad.

Yeah, although thank God they don't so 'How Science works' crap. I would have quit, had I been forced to do another science A level with AQA.
Original post by navarre
Yeah, although thank God they don't so 'How Science works' crap. I would have quit, had I been forced to do another science A level with AQA.

We do AQA Biology and HSW genuinely makes me want to cry. Whether you get marks on a HSW question seems to be determined by the position of Jupiter rather than what you've actually written.
Hi there, new to TSR
Applying to medicine in this upcoming cycle for the first time so i thought i may as well get introduced here
A little about me

GCSE:6A*'s 5A's
Currently Sitting: AS Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. OCR sciences and Edexcel Maths
Intend to take at A2: Chemistry, Biology and Maths
Current Experience Completed/Working at:
Volunteering at a care centre, A week shadowing a GP, Going away for 2 weeks in the Summer with Gap Medics, got a place on UNIQ course at oxford in medicine.
Currrently looking at;
- St. Andrews
- Aberdeen
- Bristol
- Peninsula/Brighton
Original post by Solarity
Hi there, new to TSR
Applying to medicine in this upcoming cycle for the first time so i thought i may as well get introduced here
A little about me

GCSE:6A*'s 5A's
Currently Sitting: AS Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. OCR sciences and Edexcel Maths
Intend to take at A2: Chemistry, Biology and Maths
Current Experience Completed/Working at:
Volunteering at a care centre, A week shadowing a GP, Going away for 2 weeks in the Summer with Gap Medics, got a place on UNIQ course at oxford in medicine.
Currrently looking at;
- St. Andrews
- Aberdeen
- Bristol
- Peninsula/Brighton

ABERDEEN!!!!!

You know you want to :wink:
We do AQA Biology and HSW genuinely makes me want to cry. Whether you get marks on a HSW question seems to be determined by the position of Jupiter rather than what you've actually written.

Yep.

Evaluate the conclusion? I don't want to evaluate the conclusion, you smug pricks- I want to be tested on what is actually in your bloody textbook.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
ABERDEEN!!!!!

You know you want to :wink:

Haha the new library looks amazing and some of the new medical buildings.

Some of my niggles with it is the fact that the medical campus is on that hill about 30/40 mins walk away and when i went on the tour it didn't scream for me to go there.

But it's such a good option for me with a lot of family in aberdeen(i am actually in essex) and the fact that the area is cheap and there are plenty of bars is a definate plus.

:smile: OCR Salters is like a branch of the exam board OCR....I think:smile:
Original post by navarre
Yep.

Evaluate the conclusion? I don't want to evaluate the conclusion, you smug pricks- I want to be tested on what is actually in your bloody textbook.

Brilliant!
"Please rate some other members' posts before you rate this member again." Grr -________-
Original post by Solarity
Haha the new library looks amazing and some of the new medical buildings.

Some of my niggles with it is the fact that the medical campus is on that hill about 30/40 mins walk away and when i went on the tour it didn't scream for me to go there.

But it's such a good option for me with a lot of family in aberdeen(i am actually in essex) and the fact that the area is cheap and there are plenty of bars is a definate plus.

Suttie is pretty cool. Nice and shiny :smile:

To be perfectly honest, the distance to walk is a silly reason to choose a uni :rolleyes: The majority of first years live in Hillhead so you can walk in a group or get the number 6 bus which runs direct from Hillhead to the ARI so no walking at all :biggrin: Plus the fact that once you get to the medical school, you have all your clinical placements across the road so that cuts out travel in the long run.

It isn't that cheap....well not property wise. Pretty steep really. The flats may not look like much but the oil money has boosted all the prices right up.

I chose it for it's course structure and reputation. Everyone seems to like Aberdeen graduate doctors :tongue:

The bars and night life are really good. 10% of the population are students so the clubs make an effort to attract them.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Suttie is pretty cool. Nice and shiny :smile:

To be perfectly honest, the distance to walk is a silly reason to choose a uni :rolleyes: The majority of first years live in Hillhead so you can walk in a group or get the number 6 bus which runs direct from Hillhead to the ARI so no walking at all :biggrin: Plus the fact that once you get to the medical school, you have all your clinical placements across the road so that cuts out travel in the long run.

Perhaps it really isn't the distance, i guess it just feels really seperate. When i went i loved the feeling of the old streets and buildings in the old main campus e.g. the town building. Having passed the ARI and seeing all the 60's style buildings, i'd just prefer it if it was all a bit more traditional and not the multitude of 60's style buildings that a lot of uni's have . Aberdeen is a very practical option for me and i know it would serve me well but ultimately probably not my first choice unfortunately.

Latest

Trending

Trending