The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

**** me theres alot of stuff in 3rd year! Time to just crack on methinks. Its just a big step up from preclins, now, the skills you pick up and the cases you see arn't for someone elses' benifit, they're to add to your own experience. The benifit I guess might be down the line with a sickie. Oh to be a fresher again.
Original post by Wangers
**** me theres alot of stuff in 3rd year! Time to just crack on methinks. Its just a big step up from preclins, now, the skills you pick up and the cases you see arn't for someone elses' benifit, they're to add to your own experience. The benifit I guess might be down the line with a sickie. Oh to be a fresher again.

Despite this, and the fact preclins are easier, I'd still find clinical years on the whole much more enjoyable and interesting and just want to get out of preclin already, even though I've got a long time until I can :p:
Original post by Jessaay!
Despite this, and the fact preclins are easier, I'd still find clinical years on the whole much more enjoyable and interesting and just want to get out of preclin already, even though I've got a long time until I can :p:

Oh it is far far more enjoyable. I had to sit through path week and I thought - HOW! did I cope with 2 years of lectures? You get to see how good (and at times how bad) things can be, and you never really want to go back to bookwork again. The bookwork is now for the clinics work, not as before, because it is just bookwork. I don't mean that to say the preclinical stuff is useless - it isn't, if you push me to say take stuff out, I'm not sure I could, but its kindof when you see patients with that knowledge buried deeply somewhere in the brain, the fact that it might be useful and actually convert to results makes the suffering alot more bearable. Enthusiathem peaks and dips, you can feel great and equally have your confidence knocked by the smallest things. For example, I got *******ed by a patient for when I failed bloods, that was pretty bad...and then it sounds mean, but felt alot better when my reg missed too :smile:

Then again, this is why I'm doing a medical degree - this is the good bit!

Edit - I'm not sure if easier is the right word, because you do need to know the theory, if you don't know something existed, and don't know how it presents, you can't diagnose it, you can't treat it (recent case, dystonia myotonica, wtf!). Its just a different sort of learning, teaching on wards is far far more sporadic, almost sometimes as a aside because people have a job to do. But you learn alot from just being with the team too - how they make decisions, how they think basically, in some ways ultimatly what treatment any one individual patient had is not really the point, what you need to absorb is what the thinking process was so that later on, you might be able to think through a problem, I guess that means you basically can't regurgitate information anymore. The stuff is alot mroe fluid than in preclinicals, and some people do miss the stability. Alot of that this that different people will often deal with things in slightly different ways, none of which are necessarily wrong or correct, just different, but you lack the experience to really see why, so its kind of 'lets absorb this and think about it later' - and then sometimes, later, the penny drops and you start to build a clinical perspective as to why things are the way they are.
(edited 12 years ago)
Oops I rambled.
Original post by Wangers

Same, have been in clinical rotation for about 11 weeks now and absolutely loving the experience. And it really is about getting out what you put in, I love the fact there is no timetable and lesser restrictions which allow you to take up more opportunities and see more things.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Same, have been in clinical rotation for about 11 weeks now and absolutely loving the experience. And it really is about getting out what you put in, I love the fact there is no timetable and lesser restrictions which allow you to take up more opportunities and see more things.

Oh God.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan

Which medical school do you go to?

Is it common for people to have no timetable? I am SO JEALOUS!!

In Peninsula 3rd and 4th year we have a ridiculously over complicated timetable. We have stupid weeks called e.g. 'Chest Pain' or 'Abdo Pain' and then have a selection of placements based around that e.g. for abdo pain, there was half a day in A&E, half a day in general surgery, half a day in the early pregnancy unit, and assessment of GI exam and case presentation. I hate all the restrictions they put on us, we never get to know anyone or any ward. By far the best experiences I have had have been when I have gone to the ward in my own time, found an enthusiastic doctor, and hung around with them for a bit. SSUs are also really good, because you get to stay with one team for 3 weeks, and just see what they do. No 'academic day', no rushing off to another department to learn about some 'service' that won't exist by the time we graduate. I really haven't appreciated the way they overcomplicate everything this year. I can't wait till 5th year, I think finally then we just get attached to a team with no timetable.
Original post by mrs_bellamy

They're having a big overhaul of 3rd and 4th year. It'll be all changed by the time I get there apparently. Streamlined was the word they used. And decluttered.
Reply 3408

One of my registrars mentioned something about you guys having chest pain and abdo pain modules and I honestly thought he was taking the piss and was simply trying to make a point about how ridiculous some courses are.

Now I know better...
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
They're having a big overhaul of 3rd and 4th year. It'll be all changed by the time I get there apparently. Streamlined was the word they used. And decluttered.

Ah that sounds good! Do you know any more specifics? You seem to be really up on what the plans are for improving the course, I'm really impressed. Are you involved with student parliament?

I'm really unsure what I think about PMS overall, I do really enjoy it here and I think there are many, many great things about the course, but there are also a lot of big things I have problems with.
Original post by visesh
One of my registrars mentioned something about you guys having chest pain and abdo pain modules and I honestly thought he was taking the piss and was simply trying to make a point about how ridiculous some courses are.

Now I know better...

Yeah sadly it is true! We get a lot of confused looks when we introduce ourselves, and people ask if we're going to be in the department for a while, and we tell them that its just for one morning and we are only looking for patients with abdominal pain.
I hate having my birthday this time of year. Means I can't really do anything till after exams >.>.

Past three years I've had exams a week after/on my birthday. Looking forward to next year when apparently my exams still wouldn't be for a month!
Can I join the soc? :teeth:
Reply 3413
Original post by GodspeedGehenna

Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Can I join the soc? :teeth:

No.
Original post by visesh
No.

:hide:
Right. It's time for me to get banned from TSR for a few weeks so I don't fail anatomy and Clinical Laboratory Sciences.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Right. It's time for me to get banned from TSR for a few weeks so I don't fail anatomy and Clinical Laboratory Sciences.

Where's your sense of risk?
Original post by Kinkerz
Where's your sense of risk?

I've already exhausted it. Bricking it is no longer an appropriate term.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I've already exhausted it. Bricking it is no longer an appropriate term.

How long have you got?
Original post by RollerBall
Oh God.

?

Is it common for people to have no timetable? I am SO JEALOUS!!

In Peninsula 3rd and 4th year we have a ridiculously over complicated timetable. We have stupid weeks called e.g. 'Chest Pain' or 'Abdo Pain' and then have a selection of placements based around that e.g. for abdo pain, there was half a day in A&E, half a day in general surgery, half a day in the early pregnancy unit, and assessment of GI exam and case presentation. I hate all the restrictions they put on us, we never get to know anyone or any ward. By far the best experiences I have had have been when I have gone to the ward in my own time, found an enthusiastic doctor, and hung around with them for a bit. SSUs are also really good, because you get to stay with one team for 3 weeks, and just see what they do. No 'academic day', no rushing off to another department to learn about some 'service' that won't exist by the time we graduate. I really haven't appreciated the way they overcomplicate everything this year. I can't wait till 5th year, I think finally then we just get attached to a team with no timetable.

Leicester medical school :smile:

Well we're full time in clinical attachments now. We still have an odd lecture or two a week but the rest of the time each clinical pair is attached to a consultant so we just do what they do (luckily this block me and my clinical partner got our own consultant which makes life a lot easier). My consultant atm has no inpatients so that leaves me plenty of time to sit in with hepatology consultants and nephrology etc as med school has decided to put gastroenterology, renal and endocrinology all in this same block leading to mental chaos for me as I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of renal medicine. But its all good :smile: have managed to see quite a bit of renal medicine so far! I've been in a lot of endoscopy and outpatients which I feel quite helpful as on the wards the registrars are a bit too busy to teach properly but its a lot more relaxed in outpatients. Am on the gastroenterology ward all of this week though *happy*

Hmm thats a bit odd they do things like 'chest pain' etc rather than attach you to a speciality in Medicine, I imagine there's a lot of cross over in illnesses though such as patients with back pain and abdo pain etc
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending