The Student Room Group

The Norwegian Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Hylean
I hear myself being mentioned and I find Becca. :love:

You are a shining light in this world, my dear.

Aww, Hylean, you killed NorSoc. For shame . . .

Also, I've been accepted on the Medieval Icelandic Studies MA for next year at Haskoli Islands and have accepted the place. I've been meaning to PM you with a relentess barrage of few questions but I've been really busy as it's the end of the semester and I have revision/essays. :biggrin:
Reply 161
Original post by Einheri
Aww, Hylean, you killed NorSoc. For shame . . .

I try my best.
Reply 162
Original post by Luceria
Thread dead.

*Cough* Hylean *Cough*

Original post by Luceria
17th May coming up, which is nice. Too bad it will rain. Meh.

Woo Pølsedagen! :biggrin:

. . .

Ugh, I have an exam on the 17th. Sooooo not fair. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 163
And Norway's out of Eurovision. Thank heaven for small mercies. Now if only lightning would strike Jedward.
Reply 164
My first 17th May! In Oslo as well, so should be interesting!
Reply 165
Original post by Becca
My first 17th May! In Oslo as well, so should be interesting!

Are you going to see the parade? That's really well worth watching, and the nice food well worth eating. :biggrin:
Reply 166
Original post by Einheri
Are you going to see the parade? That's really well worth watching, and the nice food well worth eating. :biggrin:

Yep! Dunno if we'll wait in line for half an hour to pay 80Kr for a hotdog though... :p:
Reply 167
Original post by Becca
Yep! Dunno if we'll wait in line for half an hour to pay 80Kr for a hotdog though... :p:

Do they hike the prices up on 17. mai? Cheeky . . . I remember, back in the olden days*, you could get a hot dog on 17. mai from Narvesen for 21kr with onions and everything. How times have changed . . .

The insane prices is one thing I will not miss about Norway . . . that said I get nostalgic everytime someone overcharges me *sniff*.

*and by "olden days" I mean about a year ago
Reply 168
Original post by Einheri
Do they hike the prices up on 17. mai? Cheeky . . . I remember, back in the olden days*, you could get a hot dog on 17. mai from Narvesen for 21kr with onions and everything. How times have changed . . .

The insane prices is one thing I will not miss about Norway . . . that said I get nostalgic everytime someone overcharges me *sniff*.

*and by "olden days" I mean about a year ago

I don't think they do, and lol at the second paragraph :^_^:
Reply 169
Original post by Jørgen
I don't think they do, and lol at the second paragraph :^_^:

Haha, but I was only half-joking . . . :frown:
Reply 170
I will take pics tomorrow! :biggrin: But it's supposed to rain apparently :frown:
Reply 171

(that's the King on the front row!)

For some reason it won't put the pics in the post grr :angry: But you can still click the links!
Reply 172
SKÅL FOR NOREG! *Drikk øl* :beerglass: :viking: :beerglass:
Reply 173
Original post by Becca

(that's the King on the front row!)

For some reason it won't put the pics in the post grr :angry: But you can still click the links!

Great pictures :awesome:
I want to buy a Norwegian-English / English-Norwegian pocket dictionary for a friend of mine, who is studying the language, as a present. Can anybody give me some advice? Which ones are most commonly used and good? I imagine there's some publishing house like Norstedts for Swedish (top quality), but I haven't a clue.
Original post by Luceria
I don't know about pocket. But I have the "Engelsk blå ordbok". It's rather gigantic, haha. But it's very good, and people use it for exams etc. A very popular dictionary. Published by Kunnskapsforlaget.
It may be more of a English dictionary for Norwegians studying English. I don't know, but I reckon it's one of the best English-Norwegian dictionaries out there.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511hDnL73WL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.bokkilden.no/SamboWeb/produkt.do?produktId=2708866

Yeah, I've seen several copies of this one here at the department, but I was looking for a smaller (and more affordable one) as it is supposed to be just a small gift.
Reply 176
I need an Engelsk blå ordbok really.
Reply 177
Original post by tenhornedbeast
I want to buy a Norwegian-English / English-Norwegian pocket dictionary for a friend of mine, who is studying the language, as a present. Can anybody give me some advice? Which ones are most commonly used and good? I imagine there's some publishing house like Norstedts for Swedish (top quality), but I haven't a clue.

I have a pocket dictionary that's pretty good and only cost £7: Universal Norwegian Dictionary published by Langenscheidt.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 178
Original post by Luceria
I just looked at the "Are we British considered to be European thread".. What's wrong with some Brits? Well I know this place is full of idiots, so I don't find it surprising. But they seem to think they're better than "lowly" Europe. Desperate to be best mates with America. I love Britain, but I find this annoying.

And I find it sad. Britain is in Europe, and that's that. Brits are Europeans. It's about geography. There isn't a common European culture for crying out loud. Talk about ignorance. Stop thinking Britain is an unique little snowflake, and the rest of Europe is all the same. This sense of superiority, it's really rather disgusting.

" Oh look old chap. It's those nasty Europeans, just ignore them. They're not very civilised you see. Anyway, I must dash. Pip pip". :rolleyes:

To be fair there are stupid, ignorant people everywhere. I've actually had a Norwegian girl tell me that because Denmark isn't geographically Scandinavian then neither are Southern Swedes because they used to be Danish, and that neither are Northern Swedes because "they're basically just Finns" and so the only true Scandinavians are Norwegians and then only if they're blonde (I'm seriously not kidding). Hmmm . . .
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 179
Original post by Luceria
Do they only sell that in the UK? Never seen it. Very cheap though!

The inside cover says it was printed in Berlin. Someone gave it me so I'm not sure where they got it from. It also has a price in euros alongside pounds on the back so I'd assume it's also sold outside of BritaiN (maybe just in Ireland though).

Edit: Sorry, the other price is in US dollars not euros.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest