The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Sparkly-Star
Oh okay cos I would've thought by saying higher resolving power it'd be obvious that you can magnify things better so the wavelength point is more important in that sense? But if there is a 3 marker I will write those. :yep:

Magnification and resolution are different though. :smile: Magnification is about enlarging, and resolution is about the ability to distinguish between 2 points.
Original post by liviaaa
Describe the structure of an antibody.

Made out of 4 polypeptide chains, 2 heavy chains and 2 light chains. It has a variable region which has a specific tertiary structure and a constant region that does not change. Ugh I can't do this. :frown:
Original post by liviaaa
Magnification and resolution are different though. :smile: Magnification is about enlarging, and resolution is about the ability to distinguish between 2 points.

Hmm yeah I guess lol. :redface:
Original post by liviaaa
What's in an oral reyhdration solution, and how does it help diahorea?

Water to rehydrate the tissues.
Potassium, sodium and citrate ions to replace lost ions.
Potassium to boost appetite.
Reply 164
Made out of 4 polypeptide chains, 2 heavy chains and 2 light chains. It has a variable region which has a specific tertiary structure and a constant region that does not change. Ugh I can't do this. :frown:

Yeah I don't really know what else.. I don'tunderstand, why does it need a variable region if it's specific to one antigen?
Reply 165
What is cell fractionation?
Why is there a need to filter the solution?
Why was the solution placed in a cold, isotonic and buffered solution?
What is homogenization?
Describe the process of ultracentrifugation.

Describe the differences between TEM and SEM.

Cell Fractionation: The process of separating organelles from the rest of the cell.

Filtration isrequired to separate the organelles from the connective tissue of the cell

Homogenization is required to break open the plasma membranes and release organelles into solution.

Solution is cold to prevent enzyme activity, isotonic to prevent osmotic activity (which may shrink/make cells turgid) and bugger tio required to keep PH constant.

In ultracentrifugation, the solution containing a mixture of organelles is spun in a centrifuge, first at low speed. Sediment forms at bottom = a pellet, firstly the pellet is the nuclei. The solution of lighter organelles at the top is known as supernatant and this is drained off and poured into another tube, put into centrifuge again and spun at a higher speed. This continues untill all organelles are separate. Order = nuclei, mitocondria, lysosomes, ER and ribosomes.

SEM: Scannig beam of elextrons across specimen, knocks electrons of specimen, gathered in cathode ray tuve to form an image. Lower res and mag than TEM, can be used on thick specimens, can form 3D image. Yet only shows surface of specimen. Long prep time (often needs to be coated in gold), yet specimen can be alive.

TEM: Electromagnets focus a beam of electrons through specimen, denser parts of specimen absorb more electrons and so show up darker. Higher res and mag than SEM. Yet only used on thin specimens and do not show 3D image. Specimen needs to be dead too.
Reply 166
Water to rehydrate the tissues.
Potassium, sodium and citrate ions to replace lost ions.
Potassium to boost appetite.

I would also talk about how the ions are reabsored into cells out of lumen, lowering water potention, so water moves from l. intestine into cells by osmosis. :smile:
Reply 167
Original post by liviaaa
Yeah I don't really know what else.. I don'tunderstand, why does it need a variable region if it's specific to one antigen?

Its exactly the same as an enzymes active site, specific, complementary to one antigen. Needs variable region to make it specific.
Reply 168
Original post by Tericon

SEM: Scannig beam of elextrons across specimen, knocks electrons of specimen, gathered in cathode ray tuve to form an image. Lower res and mag than TEM, can be used on thick specimens, can form 3D image. Yet only shows surface of specimen. Long prep time (often needs to be coated in gold), yet specimen can be alive.

It's not alive - it's in a vacuum. :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
I would also talk about how the ions are reabsored into cells out of lumen, lowering water potention, so water moves from l. intestine into cells by osmosis. :smile:

Haha I was gonna write that and thought nahh I can't be bothered right now. :redface:
Original post by jsmith6131
does anyone know if we need to know about how virus / fungi cause disease SPECIFICALLY

or is it just

toxin production
damaging host cells
Reply 171
Original post by Tericon
Its exactly the same as an enzymes active site, specific, complementary to one antigen. Needs variable region to make it specific.

Ohh so it means the variable region changes shape on the different antibodies! I thought it meant on 1 antibody it kept changing shape. :tongue: Thanks!
Original post by liviaaa

You can also mention use of amino acids to increase co transport of sodium ions
Reply 173
any1 has an idea whatt the two 5 markers will be....i know the paper will have 7 questions....got it from the aqa website...since its a 16 page booklet.
Reply 174
or is it just

toxin production
damaging host cells

Those 2 are on the spec, so I'd just learn them. :smile:
Reply 175
or is it just

toxin production
damaging host cells

Ive got the above two, only more specific as to damage to host cells:

1. Rupturing host cell to release nutrients
2. Breaking down nutrients in host cell for own use
3. Replicating inside host cell, thus bursting it.
Original post by liviaaa
Ohh so it means the variable region changes shape on the different antibodies! I thought it meant on 1 antibody it kept changing shape. :tongue: Thanks!

Also always think of proteins because antibodies are made out of them, so talk about the primary and tertiary structure etc. and how this changes the variable region.
Describe the structure of the cell - surface membrane.
Define diffusion.
Is it passive or active transport?
What is diffusion proportional to?
Describe facilitated diffusion.
Reply 179
Anyone understand monoclonal antibodies in relation to pregnancy tests? Just something thats always bugged me.

The application area has antibodies for hCG bound to coloured bead, when urine is applied, any hCG in it binds to antibody on beads, forming antigen-antibody complex.

But then, it moves up the stick, carrying beads with it, to the test strip with immobilised antibodies on it.

Why more antibodies? Do they bind to these too, whilst still bound to appliction area antibodies? Why does it need this to turn strip blue?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending