The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by jones_wise
If we were asked to define monoclonal antibodies, do you think this would be sufficient: a type of antibody that comes from cells clones from a single B cell. ?

Yeah that would be correct.
Reply 221
Original post by animal*nature
Explain how the products of carbohydrate digestion are absorbed Into the blood (5)

-Starch, digested by salivary amylase to form the dissacharide maltose
-Stopped in stomach by HCl denaturing amylase
-Continues in s.intestine, with amylase
-Maltose is digested by maltase by hydrolysis, maltase is found in lining of gut wall
-Glucose is absorbed by co-transport with sodium via carrier protein in to epithelial cells
-Glucose moves from epithelial cell into blood by facilicated diffusion
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 222
Original post by und
Thursday 19th May, isn't it? :confused:

26th May.
Reply 223
Original post by animal*nature
Explain how the products of carbohydrate digestion are absorbed Into the blood (5)

carbohydrates are hydrolysed by enzymes to produce monosaccharides such as glucose, fructose and galactose. glucose is absorbed into the blood firstly by diffusion along a concentration gradient, as the concentration of glucose in the lumen of the small intestine is greater than that of the blood.
however once dynamic equilibrium is established there will be no net movement of glucose into the blood as there is no concentration gradient. the remaining glucose is then absorbed by co-transport, indirectly using ATP. sodium travels agaisnt a concentration gradient into the blood by the sodium-potassium ion pump, which uses ATP to actively transport na+ions into the blood. this results in the sodium concentration of the lumen in the small intestine being higher than that of the epithelial cells. sodium couples with glucose and travels along a concentration gradient using co-transport protien carriers into the epithelial cells. glucose then moves along a concentration gradient into the blood by facilitated diffusion.
Reply 224
Original post by und
Thursday 19th May, isn't it? :confused:

26th... Are you doing AQA?
Reply 225
what going on people! what do you think will come up in the exam tomorrow?
Original post by Limitless
Yeah that would be correct.

Thank you!
Reply 227
26th May.

Original post by liviaaa
26th... Are you doing AQA?

Yes, I'm doing AQA Biology Units 2 and 3, both at the same time on Thursday 19th May.

This is getting confusing...
Reply 228
Original post by und
Yes, I'm doing AQA Biology Units 2 and 3, both at the same time on Thursday 19th May.

Which spec?
Reply 229
Original post by und

Are you sure you are talking about AS level and not GCSE.
Original post by smit.
what going on people! what do you think will come up in the exam tomorrow?

I have a bad feeling all my weaknesses will be tested in this exam.

I think the fluid mossaic model will come up but I hope im wrong. What do you think?
Reply 231
yeah, maybe make sure you say the antibodies are identical in structure? i always struggle with this aswell!
Reply 232
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by liviaaa
Which spec?

Erm... I didn't know there was more than one. :dontknow:
Reply 233
Yeah that is pretty much the same. A single B-cell and a group of the same B-cells is saying the same thing that they are both identical.
Reply 234

Are you sure you are talking about AS level and not GCSE.

Oh, that would be it. :colondollar:

I think it could have been clearer in the title of the thread, but sorry for the confusion!
Reply 235
Original post by und
Erm... I didn't know there was more than one. :dontknow:

Me either, I just couldn't think of why else it'd be different? :tongue:
Reply 236
TB: Infection, symptoms and transmission?
Oh, I really need to stop pissing around. I've done no revision. Looks like an all-nighter is due. :frown: P.S I hope the 5 markers are about the heart, it hasn't come up for ages!
Reply 238
Original post by nasira372

I would actually cry if most of the exam turned out to be on lungs

or on heart :frown:
Reply 239

I have a bad feeling all my weaknesses will be tested in this exam.

I think the fluid mossaic model will come up but I hope im wrong. What do you think?

yeeh same to be honest! and also digestion? :smile: cholera and all the osmosis related parts of it? and i think the 5 markers will be on immunology like about phagoctosis or T + B cells etc... you never know though, knowing AQA and that ey!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending