The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by justiceisjust
Biological rhythms have never came up. That'd be a great question

restorative theory has come up before. i think it was a 25 marker.
Original post by StudentFDot
Hi, i've noticed that you done reallllly well on your Unit 4 Exam!(congrats!) Is there any possible tips you could provide for me in terms of the structure of answering a Q, I would be very appreciative if you could!

Hiya, as far as exp with my unit 4 & how I structure questions (obviously different things work for different people though):
I dont ever have an intro (I don't often put creditworthy points in there) so just start outlining in details
When taking about studies I briefly put the results & maybe one part of method (such as longitudinal study, or meta-analysis) that has strong methodological evaluation points (able to get a03 marks, and if you have lots of methodological evaluation already, converts into a02, or so I've been told)
When making evaluative statements, try and use the key words of the questions
Bring IDA in as much as possible, whether it is in reference to a study (ethics, use of male pots only, so an assumed beta bias could be implied, due to not testing other gender etc), and reference to a theory (biological approach to.... is a extremely deterministic approach)

I made notes off all the topics when revising, and made lists of what i deemed important studies (granted i remembered too many, something like 90 studies I could name researcher & findings). But what really helped me prior to the unit 4 exam was making spider diagrams of all the different topics that extended questions could be asked about, using a only few studies that I knew I had a lot of say about which formed my essays

Sorry, this might not be of much help, I'm just going from experience and this most definitely worked for me (got 100UMS in unit 4 in jan)
Original post by teaandcoffee
Haha :tongue:

Erm... honestly I have no idea. I don't really know how to describe how I answer the essays/structure them as when I did my retake and got 99 UMS in unit 4, I did it all by myself without a teacher. :tongue:

I'm really sorry I can't be anymore help!

Original post by teaandcoffee
Haha :tongue:

Erm... honestly I have no idea. I don't really know how to describe how I answer the essays/structure them as when I did my retake and got 99 UMS in unit 4, I did it all by myself without a teacher. :tongue:

I'm really sorry I can't be anymore help!

Aww, it's okay, well done considering you self-taught yourself!

Original post by sweet&petitee
Hiya, as far as exp with my unit 4 & how I structure questions (obviously different things work for different people though):
I dont ever have an intro (I don't often put creditworthy points in there) so just start outlining in details
When taking about studies I briefly put the results & maybe one part of method (such as longitudinal study, or meta-analysis) that has strong methodological evaluation points (able to get a03 marks, and if you have lots of methodological evaluation already, converts into a02, or so I've been told)
When making evaluative statements, try and use the key words of the questions
Bring IDA in as much as possible, whether it is in reference to a study (ethics, use of male pots only, so an assumed beta bias could be implied, due to not testing other gender etc), and reference to a theory (biological approach to.... is a extremely deterministic approach)

I made notes off all the topics when revising, and made lists of what i deemed important studies (granted i remembered too many, something like 90 studies I could name researcher & findings). But what really helped me prior to the unit 4 exam was making spider diagrams of all the different topics that extended questions could be asked about, using a only few studies that I knew I had a lot of say about which formed my essays

Sorry, this might not be of much help, I'm just going from experience and this most definitely worked for me (got 100UMS in unit 4 in jan)

Wow, thanks for the advice, I will definately consider your techniques.

In my college, there was 37 U grade achievers out of 85 students, I fortunately was not one of them, however I was an E grade student :frown: but such stats must reflect the poor teaching quality of our Psychology teachers for this particular unit.

Again, I appreciate your time and advice for this topic, and very well done with your 100UMS marks for this unit, that is amazing! x

Wow, thanks for the advice, I will definately consider your techniques.

In my college, there was 37 U grade achievers out of 85 students, I fortunately was not one of them, however I was an E grade student :frown: but such stats must reflect the poor teaching quality of our Psychology teachers for this particular unit.

Again, I appreciate your time and advice for this topic, and very well done with your 100UMS marks for this unit, that is amazing! x

ahh no i definately feel teachers have such a massive influence, though im sure you will do great in june. Im very fortunate at college since we have a strong department (though i still feel it has its faults), though i combine class notes with revision guides to pad out evaluation etc. I've found these ones particularly helpful...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-Psychology-Relationships/dp/0007421613/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305453811&sr=8-1
(along with the agression one) &
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Companions-Student-Book-2nd/dp/1850082898/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305453969&sr=1-8 (though this one is quite brief)

give me a PM if you want any advice or help with unit 3 (i do relationships, agression & eating beh - though i'm a bit shakey with these atm) or unit 4 (did schizophrenia & media) :smile:
ahh no i definately feel teachers have such a massive influence, though im sure you will do great in june. Im very fortunate at college since we have a strong department (though i still feel it has its faults), though i combine class notes with revision guides to pad out evaluation etc. I've found these ones particularly helpful...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-Psychology-Relationships/dp/0007421613/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305453811&sr=8-1
(along with the agression one) &
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Companions-Student-Book-2nd/dp/1850082898/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305453969&sr=1-8 (though this one is quite brief)

give me a PM if you want any advice or help with unit 3 (i do relationships, agression & eating beh - though i'm a bit shakey with these atm) or unit 4 (did schizophrenia & media) :smile:

That Doggy book from amazon is very good, although it may not be enough detail for the high end A* students, it is much easier to revise from compared to the aqa a blue / red book
Hi, i've noticed that you done reallllly well on your Unit 4 Exam!(congrats!) Is there any possible tips you could provide for me in terms of the structure of answering a Q, I would be very appreciative if you could!

Hey, just thought i'd pitch in with some tips :smile:

In terms of structure our teachers say that it does not really matter how you structure it as long as it is logical and forms a clear argument.

Considering the amount of A01/A02/A03 they want I usually do it like this:

A bit about the actuall question i.e. if the question were asking about the affect of EZ on infradian rhythms then I would start of with saying what infradian rhythms are followed by an example (mentrual cycle).

Then go into a research study- followed by methadological issues. If I have another study (usually 3 studies) then I go into that and again say how it relates to the question followed by methadological issues.

The last part would be the A03 and alternative explanation as a conclusive paragraph.

:smile: not an expert but hope that this makes some sense. Apart from this I reccomend practise, as I have been there and failed just because I missed out a question. You will find that if you have a pre-planned structure for every possible question the exam will have a nice flow to it. Hope this will hep you :wink:
Any one have some good notes or essay plans for Anomalistic section?
Would be much appreciated :smile:
I did unit 4 in jan, so got unit 3 in june - my school do them backwards. I got 87 UMS in PSYA4 in jan, and I need a D in PSYA3 to get an A overall. I want an A* though, so hoping to get 93 UMS! despite my school saying I cant get an A* because i retook PSYA1 at AS last year...

Oh and I'm doing sleep, aggression and eating behaviour btw.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by eleanor12
I did unit 4 in jan, so got unit 3 in june - my school do them backwards. I got 87 UMS in PSYA4 in jan, and I need a D in PSYA3 to get an A overall. I want an A* though, so hoping to get 93 UMS! despite my school saying I cant get an A* because i retook PSYA1 at AS last year...

Hey...well done on your achievements! If you need a D then I think by getting a A (which would be easy in your standards you will easily get an A* overall :smile:

Wondering if you could help me out a bit here?
now when I started psych I hated it and found it hard so only managed a C in AS (120 ums in total). I need a B altogether for uni so what would I need for both unit 4 and 3. Sorry I am asking you as if your some examiner head but would appreciate your help! :smile:

Oh yeah I am retaking 4 so will be having two exams in june :smile:
Original post by antipesto93
That Doggy book from amazon is very good, although it may not be enough detail for the high end A* students, it is much easier to revise from compared to the aqa a blue / red book

yehh i find it helpful to clarify A01 & some alternative points, but i use it along side the packs we are given made by our teachers & other revision guides :smile:
yehh i find it helpful to clarify A01 & some alternative points, but i use it along side the packs we are given made by our teachers & other revision guides :smile:

Yeah, it has only a few of the A03 points and generalises a little. Great for "on day revision" and quick over view though :smile:
Original post by TheRockMaster
Hey...well done on your achievements! If you need a D then I think by getting a A (which would be easy in your standards you will easily get an A* overall :smile:

Wondering if you could help me out a bit here?
now when I started psych I hated it and found it hard so only managed a C in AS (120 ums in total). I need a B altogether for uni so what would I need for both unit 4 and 3. Sorry I am asking you as if your some examiner head but would appreciate your help! :smile:

Oh yeah I am retaking 4 so will be having two exams in june :smile:

No problem, our teacher explained it all to us :smile:
You would need 280 UMS or more in total for a B at A2, and you already have 120, so you need 160 points more. so thats 80 UMS in each paper (A's) or equivelant so 60/100, 70/90, 75/85 etc. remember UMS depend on the marks of everyone taking it though, so we might find in the summer that for say unit 3 you actually only need to get 70% of the paper right to get an A, or even lower!

Which topics you doing for 3/4? :smile:
No problem, our teacher explained it all to us :smile:
You would need 280 UMS or more in total for a B at A2, and you already have 120, so you need 160 points more. so thats 80 UMS in each paper (A's) or equivelant so 60/100, 70/90, 75/85 etc. remember UMS depend on the marks of everyone taking it though, so we might find in the summer that for say unit 3 you actually only need to get 70% of the paper right to get an A, or even lower!

Which topics you doing for 3/4? :smile:

Thank you clearing that out.....Just means I have to work even harder :eek:

For unit 3- relationships, eating behaviour and biological rhythms
For unit 4- psychopathology (schizophrenia), anomalistic and research methods

You?
Original post by TheRockMaster
Thank you clearing that out.....Just means I have to work even harder :eek:

For unit 3- relationships, eating behaviour and biological rhythms
For unit 4- psychopathology (schizophrenia), anomalistic and research methods

You?

Unit 3 we are doing sleep/bio rhythms, aggression and eating behaviour

For Unit 4 I did schizophrenia, addictive behaviour and research methods

good luck :smile:
Reply 114

Oh wow well done! Im sure you can get the A* :smile: Any chance you still have any of your revision notes or practice essays? im really struggling :/ good luck with with unit 3! :biggrin:
Reply 115
Original post by safwaansh
it's so annoying! i've got enough notes on every other section but apart from insomnia the textbooks barely comment on the other disorders with regards to AO2. Knowing my luck, they'll be a question on sleep disorders.

i know! i have quite a few books and none of them give an extra evaluation points etc! the jan 10 exam asked that question:

1 (a) Outline one example of a circadian rhythm. (4 marks)
(b) (i) Outline one or more explanations for sleep disorders (eg insomnia, sleep walking,
narcolepsy). (5 marks)
(ii) Evaluate one or more explanations for sleep disorders. (16 marks)

i think looking at the mark scheme of that actually helps as you can just then learn what they are after! i actually answered that question as a mock at college and got 21 out of 25, but that was after looking at the mark scheme the night before :tongue:
Original post by Smilie :)
Oh wow well done! Im sure you can get the A* :smile: Any chance you still have any of your revision notes or practice essays? im really struggling :/ good luck with with unit 3! :biggrin:

notes or essays for which topics? i still have pretty much everything ive done.. :smile:
Original post by Kerry92
i know! i have quite a few books and none of them give an extra evaluation points etc! the jan 10 exam asked that question:

1 (a) Outline one example of a circadian rhythm. (4 marks)
(b) (i) Outline one or more explanations for sleep disorders (eg insomnia, sleep walking,
narcolepsy). (5 marks)
(ii) Evaluate one or more explanations for sleep disorders. (16 marks)

i think looking at the mark scheme of that actually helps as you can just then learn what they are after! i actually answered that question as a mock at college and got 21 out of 25, but that was after looking at the mark scheme the night before :tongue:

i've found the psychology mark schemes quite vague for A2. just been doing essays on the basis that 6 well explained evaluation points should give me the marks.
Reply 118
notes or essays for which topics? i still have pretty much everything ive done.. :smile:

Erm literally anything you have, im sort of self teaching myself because my teachers terrible :frown:

Im doing Sleep/Aggression/Relationships for unit 3
And Schizophrenia/Anomalistic/Research methods for unit 4

so anything you have at all on them would be much appreciated!
And good luck with all your revision and everything :smile:
Original post by Smilie :)
Erm literally anything you have, im sort of self teaching myself because my teachers terrible :frown:

Im doing Sleep/Aggression/Relationships for unit 3
And Schizophrenia/Anomalistic/Research methods for unit 4

so anything you have at all on them would be much appreciated!
And good luck with all your revision and everything :smile:

okay well i'll have a dig around tomorrow, and definately have notes etc for schizophrenia/research methods/sleep/aggression (not sat the unit 3 exam yet though, my teacher says my work is A/B standard though-hoping shes marking harshly too).

It sucks when you have a bad teacher! I'm lucky that the teacher I have for psych is amazing and so helpful, but one of my 2 biology teachers (so half the course, plus half the retake im doing) is awful and to say we dont get on would be an understatment, so trying to self teach half the exams for that! so i feel your pain! good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending