The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Man, learning Japanese is so useful when watching anime and reading manga. Really helps you relate to the characters etc. Translations aren't enough for me personally besides, I love seeing works in their original form.

:smile:

I wanna learn japanese too, but i'm just too lazy :redface:
Original post by gandhistoto
I wanna learn japanese too, but i'm just too lazy :redface:

Haha you should, it's quite interesting. I love the similarities and differences between English and Japanese.

Start learning the Hiragana syllabary first, if possible so you don't develop bad habits.
Reply 802
Haha you should, it's quite interesting. I love the similarities and differences between English and Japanese.

Start learning the Hiragana syllabary first, if possible so you don't develop bad habits.

are you fluent? if so, how long did it take you to learn japanese? did you just do it by yourself or did you enroll in any courses? :smile:

Yea I know how to read and write both katakana and hiragana and the most basic sentence structure already, but I stopped learning completely after seeing all the kanjis in manga... its' just too depressing to look for every kanji in dictionary
Original post by Bjoorn
are you fluent? if so, how long did it take you to learn japanese? did you just do it by yourself or did you enroll in any courses? :smile:

heh I just started learning it yesterday - but I'm doing it by myself, I just want to get a basic grasp first before I move onto more advanced stuff.

Yea I know how to read and write both katakana and hiragana and the most basic sentence structure already, but I stopped learning completely after seeing all the kanjis in manga... its' just too depressing to look for every kanji in dictionary

Yeah I know what you mean, it can be quite a pain since there are like over 50,000 kanji >.<
(edited 12 years ago)
I want to learn :puppyeyes:
Reply 806
heh I just started learning it yesterday - but I'm doing it by myself, I just want to get a basic grasp first before I move onto more advanced stuff.

ah right yea me too, i don't know what it is but there is something that makes you want to learn japanese when you listen to it hehe. anyway just in case you're looking for good books then 'remembering the (hiragana/katakana/kanji)' trilogy by James Heisig is supposed be really good as it helps you memorise the three writing systems using mnemonics.
Original post by Bjoorn
ah right yea me too, i don't know what it is but there is something that makes you want to learn japanese when you listen to it hehe. anyway just in case you're looking for good books then 'remembering the (hiragana/katakana/kanji)' trilogy by James Heisig is supposed be really good as it helps you memorise the three writing systems using mnemonics.

Haha yeah I've got those books. In fact here are all the books I'll be learning Japanese from

*Japanese in Manga Land 1,2,3 and Workbook 1
*Kanji in Mangaland
*Remembering the Kanji 1,2,3
*Japanese for Busy People both Audio and Kana/Romanized
*Pea_de_Oboeru_Iroirona_Kotoba (1) - Book is entirely in Japanese.. cant remember what it's about. - Remember Everyday Words in Japanese!
*How to tell the difference between Japanese Particles.

EDIT: Yeah, everytime I watch anime/manga and I don't get the joke even if it's subbed - I want to learn Japanese so I can relate to it better :P

Original post by whitepearlbaby
I want to learn :puppyeyes:

You should learn with us :awesome:

Maybe we should do a skype learning group. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
I remember teaching myself Hiragana and Katakana when I was 14 but as for learning further than that... no T.T I plan to have lessons though. Plan...
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
I remember teaching myself Hiragana and Katakana when I was 14 but as for learning further than that... no T.T I plan to have lessons though. Plan...

High 5 :five:
High 5 :five:

Yay :biggrin:

You should learn with us :awesome:

Maybe we should do a skype learning group. :wink:

Yes :ahee: I can't even remember basic things, I'm so bad at learning new languages :emo:

Umm Umm

Hajime ma****e :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

EDIT: lol it was censored :rofl:
Reply 812
I learnt some basic things way back in school :giggle: like what to say in a hotel and such but I dont really remember much:erm: I reckon it would be faster to learn to understand the language than wait for subs for certain series.:dry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by whitepearlbaby
Yes :ahee: I can't even remember basic things, I'm so bad at learning new languages :emo:

Umm Umm

Hajime ma****e :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

EDIT: lol it was censored :rofl:

Lol TSR is brilliant as usual :awesome:

If anyone wants to learn, I can show you some of the material i'm using to learn :smile: just pm me.

I'm currently learning the 46 basic sounds of Hiragana - apparently, the order in which you write your strokes is important >.>
(edited 12 years ago)

If anyone wants to learn, I can show you some of the material i'm using to learn :smile: just pm me.

I'm currently learning the 46 basic sounds of Hiragana - apparently, the order in which you write your strokes is important >.>

I'm not gonna learn any writing or reading just yet - I learn better by hearing and repeating, like babies :ahee: I want to sound like a Japanese person before I can even speak difficult sentences if that makes sense :biggrin:

I'm currently learning the 46 basic sounds of Hiragana - apparently, the order in which you write your strokes is important &gt;.&gt;

yea, but who the hell is gonna look at you while you're writing. so anything is fine in my opinion :biggrin:
bah would have learnt some Japanese this year if it didnt clash with one of my lectures :s-smilie: i didnt even go to that lecture anymore after the first couple of weeks so was a chance wasted :hmpf: hopefully will start learning next uni year :smile:
Reply 817
I was going to start learning japanese in summer last year. I started, unfortunately my social life / laziness got the better of me :frown:
Hoping to learn a bit this summer :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 818
that woman who voiced nessa seems to be in alot of series this season:giggle:

so much muscle in that Deadman Wonderland OP :hubba:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 819
It's great that so many of you have taken an interest in learning Japanese, presumably due to anime and manga. If you have any questions regarding the language, I'll be more than happy to help out. :smile:

As for my anime viewing, I'm just about finished with DB Kai and I'm up to date with almost everything I'm following weekly, save for Steins;Gate which I'm a few episodes behind on. I've also picked up Moshidora, which I believe is the only sport anime to have been released this year. Seeing as I'm a fan of the sport outside anime and that Production I.G. is behind this, I'm confident I'll enjoy it. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending