The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EffKayy
I can't remember that question.
Link?

I don't remember it :tongue: was at the end of December for my mock. Was the first question. Had a picture of a eukaryotic cell with lysosomes and mitochondria and just had questions asking the roles of organelles (and to identify them) then suggest what cell it could be.
What you guys doing? I keep forgetting everything. :frown: I need to keep going over all my notes. :frown:
Reply 302
Original post by liviaaa
It's pumped into the blood. :smile:

Also, passive diffusion doesn't involve any proteins. It just happens through the plasma membrane.

Incorrect, sodium is pumped into the lumen of the intestine so that glucose can be absorbed through the sodium-glucose co-transporter protein. Which uses sodium travelling down its concentration gradient to move glucose moving against its concentration gradient through a co-transporter carrier protein.
Reply 303
Original post by Sparkly-Star
What you guys doing? I keep forgetting everything. :frown: I need to keep going over all my notes. :frown:

Same!!
I'm so frigging stressed :'(
Reply 304
Original post by EffKayy
Livia!!! :frown:
I'm so stressed urgh... I feel like i don't know anything.

:tongue: You'll be fine!
Reply 305
Original post by TlanTlan
Incorrect, sodium is pumped into the lumen of the intestine so that glucose can be absorbed through the sodium-glucose co-transporter protein. Which uses sodium travelling down its concentration gradient to move glucose moving against its concentration gradient through a co-transporter carrier protein.

NO!
She's correct
Sodium ions get actively transported into the BLOOD, thereby leaving the lumen of the intestine with a higher concentration of sodium ions.

Can we use this instead of saying incorrect

Cos it's more fun :biggrin:

Oh and do you need to mention when the glucose enters the epithelium the concentration of it increases so enters the blood as the blood has lower concentration?
Reply 307
How are the lungs adapted to their function, and describe the symptoms and effects of emphysema, fibrosis, and asthma on the lungs.

It's a very big question but i'm sure lungs will come up :biggrin:
Reply 308

No, that's not right. It goes into the blood. Look at June 09, question 7b.
Reply 309
Original post by EffKayy
NO!
She's correct
Sodium ions get actively transported into the BLOOD, thereby leaving the lumen of the intestine with a higher concentration of sodium ions.

Reply 310
Original post by EffKayy
NO!
She's correct

:O , i thought i knew this! Oh crap, time to go over that quick. Stress is also getting to me now!
Reply 311
:O , i thought i knew this! Oh crap, time to go over that quick. Stress is also getting to me now!

Don't worry! I'm stressing out too, i kinda ish forgot what an SEM does !!!!!!! :|
I haaattteeeeee this unit the only thing interesting is immunity the rest is boooooooooorring : (
How are the lungs adapted to their function, and describe the symptoms and effects of emphysema, fibrosis, and asthma on the lungs.

Diaphram pushes down and moves down when inhalation occurs to lungs have bigger space so pressure decreases which allows air in and the coverse of that too. They have avelus that increase surface area so faster diffusion. They are also small so small diffusion path way.
Emphysema is caused by smoking and the elastin is stretched so less oxygen can be ventilated. Less diffusion as concentration gradient is lower. Symptons. Lack of air. Cough.

Fibrosis is scar tissues forming so less elastic tissue. Thicker walls less diffusion. Shortness of breath, chest pains and dry coughs.

Astma is a allergic reaction to dust and dirt. Causes a reaction so the air way closes up so less oxygen in so less concentration gradient. More mucas produced so covers aveolus so less surface area.

I think.
Reply 314

Okaayyy.. :tongue:

Adaped to their function:
-Many alveloi - large surface area, greater rate of diffusion
-Many cappilaries - ^
-Thin wall of alveoli/cappilaries - short diffusion pathway
-Ventilation / circulation - large conc. grad

Emphysema - alveloi break down, and walls thinken - less s.area and longer diffusion pathway. Loss of elastin by elastase, can't recoil, reducded conc gradient. Less oxygen to tissues.

Fibrosis - scar tissue due to asbestos etc, longer diffusion pathway. Twisted alveoli - less s.area. Hence lower conc gradient, so shortness of breath and coughing.

Asthma - smooth muscle contracts, narrows lumen, more mucus from epithelial cells. Breathing rate increased, but tidal vol reducded. Wheezing, quick shallow breaths.

Phew!
Reply 315
PanicPanicPanicPanic!!!!!!!!!! I THOUGHT I KNEW MOST OF THE STUFF! I DON'T!!!!! :frown:
Original post by EffKayy
PanicPanicPanicPanic!!!!!!!!!! I THOUGHT I KNEW MOST OF THE STUFF! I DON'T!!!!! :frown:

Takes deep breaths. Irony since lungs are being discussed :tongue:
Reply 317
Just read through the thread. Very helpful :smile: but I'm surprised by how much info some people are putting. I'm just a CGP type of girl... got me through Gcses so fingers crossed :tongue:

Question a while back on why the secondary response is stronger and quicker... i learnt it was about affinity maturation (as well as more memory cells) ... anybody else learnt this?
Reply 318
Original post by liviaaa
Okaayyy.. :tongue:

Adaped to their function:
-Many alveloi - large surface area, greater rate of diffusion
-Many cappilaries - ^
-Thin wall of alveoli/cappilaries - short diffusion pathway
-Ventilation / circulation - large conc. grad

Emphysema - alveloi break down, and walls thinken - less s.area and longer diffusion pathway. Loss of elastin by elastase, can't recoil, reducded conc gradient. Less oxygen to tissues.

Fibrosis - scar tissue due to asbestos etc, longer diffusion pathway. Twisted alveoli - less s.area. Hence lower conc gradient, so shortness of breath and coughing.

Asthma - smooth muscle contracts, narrows lumen, more mucus from epithelial cells. Breathing rate increased, but tidal vol reducded. Wheezing, quick shallow breaths.

Phew!

For the alveoli, it is essential to say the walls are folded to give a large surface area as the june 2010 paper only allowed that.
Reply 319
Original post by ??????????????????
Takes deep breaths. Irony since lungs are being discussed :tongue:

If they ask about inspiration/expiration i'm going to consiously breathe in and out to see what happens to confirm my understanding :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending