The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by ??????????????????
My teacher said active transport. Because the water needs to be in the leaf so there is a high concentration. Might differ between boards.
Don't think sucrose transport in plants are in AQA not sure cos I hate phloem and xylems.

Do you mean ions move in by active transport? I'm pretty sure water moves in by osmosis.
Meh hate OCR, should have done AQA.
Reply 361
Original post by hash007
I'm doing OCR, it moves up due to active transport?? Isn't it osmosis, water lost from leaf so due to cohesion tension theory another water molecule is pulled up? All water molecules stick (cohesion) to each other, and they stick to the walls of the vessels (adhesion) to form long continuous chains of water in the xylem.

And what about Sucrose?

It moves from roothair cell, to xylem by osmosis. Up the xylem by cohesion-tension, cappilarity or root pressure. NOT active transport - that requires ATP, and the xylem is made from dead cells.

--

Anyway this is AQA unit 1, not OCR unit 2. :tongue:
Original post by hash007
Do you mean ions move in by active transport? I'm pretty sure water moves in by osmosis.
Meh hate OCR, should have done AQA.

I'm not that good at transpiration but I think there is a higher concentration of water in the leaves. That's where the water is going so why would it be low concentration since it has to end up there.
Reply 363
describe how cholera is transmitted and how it causes disease. use your knowledge of water potential in your answer (5 marks)
Reply 364
Original post by EffKayy
Define disease?!? omg panic panic, i don't know how to define it? When a pathogen invades and causes harm?

Add ethanol, shake it, water? Cloudy-white?

Disease - a condition with a specfic cause, it can be a physical/mental disorder, when the body functions in a non-normal or less effiecent manner. Can include symptoms.

Yup :smile:
i think i'll just learn elastic tissue which controls air flow

will this be correct ?
Original post by liviaaa
It moves from roothair cell, to xylem by osmosis. Up the xylem by cohesion-tension, cappilarity or root pressure. NOT active transport - that requires ATP, and the xylem is made from dead cells.

--

Anyway this is AQA unit 1, not OCR unit 2. :tongue:

Yeah listen to this person. I can do from roots to stem but nothing above it. Hate xylem and phloem. Dunno what they even are? Organs?
Reply 367
Original post by hash007
do you mean ions move in by active transport? I'm pretty sure water moves in by osmosis.
Meh hate ocr, should have done aqa.

this is unit 1. Please do not confuse us and leaveeeeeeeeeeee.
Reply 368
Original post by liviaaa
Disease - a condition with a specfic cause, it can be a physical/mental disorder, when the body functions in a non-normal or less effiecent manner. Can include symptoms.

Yup :smile:

Oh okay!
Do you think they can ask us to give the mechanism of breathing? inspiration and expiration, for 5marks?
Reply 369
Original post by emmaaa65
describe how cholera is transmitted and how it causes disease. use your knowledge of water potential in your answer (5 marks)

Cholera is transmitted through polluted drinking water. Causes carrier proteins to be permenatly open so chloride ions escape into lumen, lowering water potential, water moves down water potential by osmosis, causing diahrea.
Reply 370
Original post by EffKayy
Oh okay!
Do you think they can ask us to give the mechanism of breathing? inspiration and expiration, for 5marks?

Yup possibly. :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Some random Q:

-Define disease

-What's the biochemical test for a lipid?

- What is the role of the nucleus?

Disease is any malfunction of the body which results in poorer health

2cm^3 of sample is added to a test tube same with ethanol to dissolve the sample add water and shake if its cloudylipid is present.

Role of the nucleus is to act as the control centre of the cell through the production of mrna and hence protein synthesis
Retain the genetic information of the cell in the form of DnA and Chromsoomes
Manufactures ribosonal rna and ribosomes

Fave topic but Unit 2?

Chlorea is transmitted in dirty water. Can survive for a few days in the air. Generally a week. It causes the Cl- channel proteins to open so the Cl ions enter the lumen which lower the water potential causing water to enter the the lumen which gives water faeces and diarrheoa and flatulance. Treated with ORS which consists of Na+ glucose and water so that the Na+ and glucose enter the body cells lowering water potential there so water leaves the lumen and enters the body cell.
Reply 373
Original post by Ramin Gorji
Disease is any malfunction of the body which results in poorer health

2cm^3 of sample is added to a test tube same with ethanol to dissolve the sample add water and shake if its cloudylipid is present.

Role of the nucleus is to act as the control centre of the cell through the production of mrna and hence protein synthesis
Retain the genetic information of the cell in the form of DnA and Chromsoomes
Manufactures ribosonal rna and ribosomes

Yeah I think that's all right. :smile:
Reply 374
Fave topic but Unit 2?

Chlorea is transmitted in dirty water. Can survive for a few days in the air. Generally a week. It causes the Cl- channel proteins to open so the Cl ions enter the lumen which lower the water potential causing water to enter the the lumen which gives water faeces and diarrheoa and flatulance. Treated with ORS which consists of Na+ glucose and water so that the Na+ and glucose enter the body cells lowering water potential there so water leaves the lumen and enters the body cell.

Chloera is unit 1?
Original post by liviaaa
Chloera is unit 1?

I'm not sure now.
Yup CGP says 1.3 :frown:
Reply 376

Cholera is a prokaryotic bacteria which causes severe diarrhea in infected individuals. It is spread by poor sanitation and poor sewage systems, and poor hygiene such as not washing hands with anti-bacterial soap. It's method of action is that is binds to carbohydrate receptors on the epithelial cells of the small intestine due to the shape being complementary to receptors on the cholera bacterium surface. This causes chloride protein channels to open and chloride ions flows out into the lumen of the intestine by diffusion. This causes a decrease in the water potential of the lumen to a level lower than that in the epithelial cells and blood, so water flows out of the blood, across the epithelial cells into the lumen of the intestine by osmosis. This causes severe and extreme diarrhea which can result in serious dehydration which can result in death if untreated by oral rehydration therapy.
Reply 377
Fave topic but Unit 2?

yeahh
i wrote

Cholera is transmitted through water that is contaminated with the bacterium. This can be spread by preparing/eating food with hands that have faecal contamination with the bacterium. The cholera bacterium produces a toxin that binds to chloride ion protein carriers on the epithelial cells of the small intestine. This changes the shape of the protein carrier and chloride ions are released into the lumen of the small intestine. This lowers the water potential of the small intestine causing water to travel by osmosis from epithelial cells, blood and surrounding tissue which have a relatively high water potential compared to that of the lumen. This loss of water from the blood and tissue causes dehydration in the individual and diarrhoea.

i always forget to write about ORS and all that stuff
Reply 378
advantages and limitations of tem and sem anyone????
Reply 379
describe the risk factors involved with coronary heart diesease and include in your answer how smoking can cause a myocardial infarction (5marks)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending