The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Is facilitated diffusion; Movement of water soluble molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of lower concentration with use of proteins? No ATP required..?
Original post by BeejTheone
Is facilitated diffusion; Movement of water soluble molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of lower concentration with use of proteins? No ATP required..?

Lol edit: I read your post wrong. Yeah it is with the use of specific shaped channel proteins.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 482
What if they ask us about the role in temperature and ph and substrate concentration as the 5markers? you never know...
enzymes are always the most easy part of bio unit 1 and considering most of that was asked in the EMPA Paper i dont think it will. OFC there will be at least 1 enzyme question but it will prolly be on inhibitors.
Reply 484
PREDICTIONS:

Digestive system.
How pathogens cause disease?
Benedicts test/protein test/lipids test
Tertiary structure etc, example such as why sucrase cant break down lactose? or something..
Effect of PH, temp?
Cell fractionation
Mitochondria and why there' s a lot of it..
Osmosis, facil. diff and simple. and Active transport.
How cholera causes disease
Breathing mechanism.
Asthma and P.Fibrosis.
Reply 485
Original post by reaperguy
enzymes are always the most easy part of bio unit 1 and considering most of that was asked in the EMPA Paper i dont think it will. OFC there will be at least 1 enzyme question but it will prolly be on inhibitors.

ooh did you do the empa too?
I think i kinda flopped the empa badly..
Original post by EffKayy
ooh did you do the empa too?
I think i kinda flopped the empa badly..

I thought it was a bit easier than previous empa papers. I guess most of it is technique and getting your head round the weird way they ask questions..
But its only 60 ums. Just ace the other 2 and you should be fine
Reply 487
I thought it was a bit easier than previous empa papers. I guess most of it is technique and getting your head round the weird way they ask questions..
But its only 60 ums. Just ace the other 2 and you should be fine

Task 1 and 2 were fine, just a COUPLE of task 3 questions I think i lost.. but oh well, what happens, happens.
Capsules are just slime layers. I think plasmids are more unit 2
For the prokary vs eukary its best to say

Prokary have : Cell wall made of peptido glycan, No memebrane bound organelles and no membrane bound nucleus(cirucalr dna)

and eukarys have: Memebrane bound nucleus present, 80s ribosomes, memebrane bound organelles e.g. mitchondria present77

Which is essentially exactly what you said :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JesusIsMyHomeboy
I'm feeling I actually need to start doing some unit 1 revision. Need to do a lot better in this resit but I can't get unit 2 out of my head!

This! :frown:
Reply 490
Original post by EffKayy
PREDICTIONS:

Digestive system.
How pathogens cause disease?
Benedicts test/protein test/lipids test
Tertiary structure etc, example such as why sucrase cant break down lactose? or something..
Effect of PH, temp?
Cell fractionation
Mitochondria and why there' s a lot of it..
Osmosis, facil. diff and simple. and Active transport.
How cholera causes disease
Breathing mechanism.
Asthma and P.Fibrosis.

if this comes up = over the moon :biggrin:
Someone Please explain how to do question 1bii part 1 on ph 71 of NElson thornes book thanks
^**** page :smile:
Original post by animal*nature
Someone Please explain how to do question 1bii part 1 on ph 71 of NElson thornes book thanks

Well the graph shows the ratio of initial and final length against conc.
When the ratio is 1.0 this means that the water potential outside the cell is exactly the same as the water potential inside the cell. Thus any point after 0.3moldm^-3 will mean the water potential inside the cell is larger than the outside and so the cell must be turgid. And the answer to 2 is 0.3 as I have explained above.
hi, does any one have a good way of answering the question about does, for example, smoking cause CHD? thanks :smile:
Original post by baldwin_94
hi, does any one have a good way of answering the question about does, for example, smoking cause CHD? thanks :smile:

Generally one of those kids of questions will be with a set of data and will ask the scientists concluded that smoking more=more chd or something to that effect and you will have to evaluate this conclusion.

Generally you would say no they cannot conclude that it causes CHD and actually although there is a correlation this may not mean that smoking causes CHD and another factor may be involved.

In terms of actual biology. Smoking causes carboxyhaemoglobin to form and thus less oxygen is pumped around the body. this means that the heart will have to pump fast adn therefore your blood pressure will increase. Also less oxygen in the blood means less oxygen for heart muscles so they respire less and therefore there is mroe chance that they will die and lead to a mycardial infarction
Generally one of those kids of questions will be with a set of data and will ask the scientists concluded that smoking more=more chd or something to that effect and you will have to evaluate this conclusion.

Generally you would say no they cannot conclude that it causes CHD and actually although there is a correlation this may not mean that smoking causes CHD and another factor may be involved.

In terms of actual biology. Smoking causes carboxyhaemoglobin to form and thus less oxygen is pumped around the body. this means that the heart will have to pump fast adn therefore your blood pressure will increase. Also less oxygen in the blood means less oxygen for heart muscles so they respire less and therefore there is mroe chance that they will die and lead to a mycardial infarction

thanks a lot :biggrin:
Oh yeah forgot that.
Reply 498
Can someone explain turberculosis, in a way we would need to answer it in the exam, if asked.

Also, with the Cardiac Cycle, would we need to mention the Conduction Cycle with it?
Reply 499
Hope you all do well!!!!
Make sure you do the jan 11 past paper and go over it!!!
Revise the hsw questions aswell from the textbook!!!
Sleep early tonight at about 10pm + WAKE UP early AT ABOUT 6:30 am!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending