The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
I have a few questions:

- Are the people at Warwick generally very sporty?
- I've heard that there's a cinema on campus, but does it play big blockbuster new releases?
- Does the campus feel very British or are there many other international students?

Thanks for any responses :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Valh
I have a few questions:

1)Are the people at Warwick generally very sporty?
2)I've heard that there's a cinema on campus, but does it play big blockbuster new releases?
3)Does the campus feel very British or are there many other international students?

1) Yes, there are some great sporting facilities on campus, and you'll be close to everything from rugby/football pitches to swimming pools and climbing

2) Yes, they do big blockbuster titles, but with some time lag from their original cinema release

3) Many many (many) internationals and home students as well. You'll get the best of all worlds
Reply 1442
Original post by Valh
I have a few questions:

- I've heard that there's a cinema on campus, but does it play big blockbuster new releases?
- Does the campus feel very British or are there many other international students?

1. Yep great sporting facilities. Sport centre is top notch. Swimming pool is awesome and there are numerous rugby/footie/ lacrosse pitches.
2. There is the art centre cinema which shows arty movies and the student run one showing blockbusters a few weeks after release (it's really cheap!)
3. Yes there are many international students....(I'm one :smile:)
Reply 1443
Original post by Focus08
1) Yes, there are some great sporting facilities on campus, and you'll be close to everything from rugby/football pitches to swimming pools and climbing

2) Yes, they do big blockbuster titles, but with some time lag from their original cinema release

3) Many many (many) internationals and home students as well. You'll get the best of all worlds

I see what you did there :wink:
I still can't rep you though :colonhash:
Original post by Valh
I have a few questions:

Find out more info about sports clubs here, as well as the SU's Societies here, additionally check out the film soc website where you can see what is running. Basically, there are some films that are shown around 8 weeks or so after general release - so it's available before it's out on DVD/Bluray.
Reply 1445
Hi, i have been getting quite excited reading this forum as Warwick looks really great, just have a couple of questions :smile:

1) I am looking at doing a History and Politics course just wondering if anybody has any information on how good the course is or how competative it is etc

2) I also read that the uni asks students not to bring cars but does make exceptions, how easy is it to get away with bringing a car and is it easy to survive without one E.g - nearby train stations/shopping centres. Would it be easiest to bring a bike? How easy would it be to store one living on campus?

3) I have looked into on campus accomodation and just wanted a bit of advice. I like the idea of living in flats as it would be nice to live with flat mates. I noticed whitefields was in flats and isnt single sex but has a shared bathroom. As opposed to Lakeside which is single sex and has en suite bathrooms which would you reccomend?

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 1446
Original post by 05emunt
Hi, i have been getting quite excited reading this forum as Warwick looks really great, just have a couple of questions :smile:

1) I am looking at doing a History and Politics course just wondering if anybody has any information on how good the course is or how competative it is etc

2) I also read that the uni asks students not to bring cars but does make exceptions, how easy is it to get away with bringing a car and is it easy to survive without one E.g - nearby train stations/shopping centres. Would it be easiest to bring a bike? How easy would it be to store one living on campus?

3) I have looked into on campus accomodation and just wanted a bit of advice. I like the idea of living in flats as it would be nice to live with flat mates. I noticed whitefields was in flats and isnt single sex but has a shared bathroom. As opposed to Lakeside which is single sex and has en suite bathrooms which would you reccomend?

In answer to 2 it will be hard to take a care unless you have a reason such as a disability and require it to get around. Otherwise there are good bus links to both Coventry and Lemington that regularly run from campus. The bus to Coventry even has a stop right outside coventry station so even if you have a case you need to transport its not to bad. Bike is a good idea just for getting around campus if you are late for lectures (more if the lecture hall is opposite side of campus from where you live) or for getting to the Tesco which is located just off campus....but again if you live the other side of campus can take a while to get to. Storing bikes is easy as there are tons of bike stands all over campus :smile:

In answer to 3 i didnt realise they had made lakeside single sex as I know when I was there both boys and girls were in my flat.....regardless id advise lakeside over whitefields for reasons beyond the bathroom. Mainly that whitefields isnt flats, its little houses, where as lakeside is flats with connected corridors, so you will be able to make friends and regularly see a lot more people there
Reply 1447
Original post by 05emunt

Don't know, sorry.

2) I also read that the uni asks students not to bring cars but does make exceptions,
That's only if you have a medical reason for needing it, or some other unusual circumstances
how easy is it to get away with bringing a car
Not easy. From what I've heard they're quite strict about parking in the area and it would be very difficult to find a place where you can keep your car without being fined
and is it easy to survive without one
Very easy. That's what everyone on campus does.
E.g - nearby train stations
You can get the number 12 bus to the station, which runs roughly every 15 minutes. To get from the bus stop to the station there is a short walk however. There is also a new bus route to the station http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/insite/newsandevents/intnews2/new_bus_services_changes but I've never tried it.
/shopping centres.
Just by campus where Tesco is, there's a small shopping centre. Otherwise, you can get the 12 to the centre of Coventry.
Would it be easiest to bring a bike?
That is one option. If you do go for Lakeside then you might find that useful as it can be a long walk to many places.
How easy would it be to store one living on campus?
There are various places to park/store them around campus. These vary in security. Some are designed so that only people living there can get in. Others are open to everyone.

3) I have looked into on campus accomodation and just wanted a bit of advice. I like the idea of living in flats as it would be nice to live with flat mates.
That would be the case wherever you live. You will always be sharing a kitchen with other people. The main difference between flats and corridors is that flats are separated out more but with corridors it's easier to get to other parts of the building.
I noticed whitefields was in flats and isnt single sex but has a shared bathroom. As opposed to Lakeside which is single sex
It's not single sex (I don't know where you got that from). The vast majority of accommodation is mixed sex. There are some single sex areas (in some parts of Tocil I think) but you're unlikely to be put there unless you ask for it.
and has en suite bathrooms which would you reccomend?

Generally, Lakeside is better than Whitefields because Whitefields is made up of lots of small buildings which could be a bit isolating. However Lakeside is quite far away from lots of things. It's worth having a look at other halls as well.
Original post by 05emunt

Check out The Warwick Accommodation Thread - the guide at the front may help you decide - there are reviews of halls by people who have lived there for a year, photos and discussion on Flats vs Corridors and loads more :smile:

All halls you will be living with a group of people - 'flat mates' still occur in corridors (the actual difference between them is minimal). Perhaps the idea of a flat means that your group is a bit more defined compared to corridors, but this can vary depending on the building layout.

Finally, we have a History and Politics thread here so maybe you could chat with fellow students who are entering next year :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1449
Does anyone know if the Management degree can be tailored to get exemption from the CFA Level 1 qualification? I understand that the A&F degree already has this CFA exemption amongst others, but the Management degree as detailed in the Warwick prospectus doesn't.
Original post by Closecl
Does anyone know if the Management degree can be tailored to get exemption from the CFA Level 1 qualification? I understand that the A&F degree already has this CFA exemption amongst others, but the Management degree as detailed in the Warwick prospectus doesn't.

Check it our here. Although the exemptions may be subject to change, this will give you a rough idea. Cross reference them with your course regs to see how you can still get the exemptions.

As for CFA, it doesn't seem to apply to Management according to this page. An option may be to request to switch courses, do this by emailing admissions.

The possible reasons for Management not getting the CFA exemption is because it could be deemed an easier course (the number of 'level 3' modules in your third year you could elect take is comparatively low compared to the number you need to take on the A+F course)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1451
Original post by Closecl

Considering what the tall one has said if you do want to switch courses do it asap

First day of uni is obviously memorable and I remember the introductury lecture very well (I did management). One of the things mentioned by the course director was that people should get out their heads the misconception its easy to switch courses in the business school as you are already studying there. So it probably wouldnt be 100% impossible but im guessing its better to ask before you start (assuming you are asking this as you have already accepted an offer for management and arnt deciding where you will apply through ucas which I thought was unlikely due to the time of the year)
Reply 1452
Yes, I have accepted a place in Management and have enquired about changing course. I think it might be a little tough to get into A&F though, considering I took H1 Math and not H2 Math. And WBS can't offer me any places in A&F till August =/.
Original post by Closecl
Yes, I have accepted a place in Management and have enquired about changing course. I think it might be a little tough to get into A&F though, considering I took H1 Math and not H2 Math. And WBS can't offer me any places in A&F till August =/.

Disadvantages of that is that if you switch courses after August you will forfeit your on campus accommodation priority (unless you switch after your accommodation offer has been given out).
Reply 1454
How easy is it to swap courses at Warwick and when is a good time to enquire about doing so?Swapping would increase my offer from AAA to A*AA, which would add further pressure to my upcoming A2s. Is better to wait until I get there?
Reply 1455
Original post by Tclare

Original post by Tclare
How easy is it to swap courses at Warwick and when is a good time to enquire about doing so?Swapping would increase my offer from AAA to A*AA, which would add further pressure to my upcoming A2s. Is better to wait until I get there?

It depends on which courses you're swapping between, and the regulations in your department. Swapping to a 'harder' course as you're doing is in general more complicated. Also see the post above yours about making sure you retain your on-campus accommodation.
Original post by Tclare

I don't think it is possible (at least it is more difficult) to swap courses if you didn't meet the grades at A level. For example, say you get into Warwick with grades AAA, I don't think you can swap to a course which requires A*AA.
Reply 1457
I'm predicted 3A*s and an A, so hopefully (*crosses fingers*) meeting the grades shouldn't be a problem. I've currently got a place studying Law, but want to swap to PPE. I know that PPE is an extremely popular course, but was going to wait until I had arrived at Warwick to enquire about swapping. Would this decrease the likelihood of me being able to swap even further?
Original post by Tclare
I'm predicted 3A*s and an A, so hopefully (*crosses fingers*) meeting the grades shouldn't be a problem. I've currently got a place studying Law, but want to swap to PPE. I know that PPE is an extremely popular course, but was going to wait until I had arrived at Warwick to enquire about swapping. Would this decrease the likelihood of me being able to swap even further?

Whilst I've not tried swapping courses myself, whatever you do they won't withdraw your offer entirely so by enquiring now you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. If they say no, email them after results day once they know the number of people on each course and they may change their mind.

Also, the earlier you enquire about changing, the more determined you seem to swap so (I can only assume) the more likely you are to have you request accepted.
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone know any good Chinese takeaways that deliver to campus?

Quick Reply

Latest