3 (So) fast diffusion;
6 (So) short diffusion distance / pathway;
7 (So) fast diffusion;

What about the other answer?
Cant find the second answers MS. But looks right to me
Reply 662
Original post by BeejTheone
Cant find the second answers MS. But looks right to me

OKay thankss :biggrin: How does emphysema cause shortness in breath ?
Reply 663
Yeah i think I would get like 5marks for the first answer?
Original post by Jubilee~

Lungs have many alveoli which produce a large surface area for gas exchange. The alveoli is also thin to reduce the diffusion pathway. (cant think of anything else so do correct me lol)

Cell mediated immunity -
Pathogen is taken up by a phacocyte
the phagocyte will then display the antigens from the pathogen on it's surface
a certain t-helper cell will have a complimentary receptor to fit the antigen on the surface of the pathogen.
This will activate other T helper cells to divide into clones by mitosis.
These clones will -
Stimulate phagocytosis
Stimulate B Cells to divide
Develop into memory cells which will prevent any future contact with the same pathogen
And kill the pathogen...

Cell mediated - (i hatethis one) :s-smilie:
A Certain B cell will display the antigen of the pathogen on it's surface
A T- cell will then have receptors complimentary to this antigen.
When it binds to the antigen it activates the B cells to divide into clones by mitosis
it will develop into two types -
plasma cells which have a short life span but they make a large number of antibodies to kill the pathogen.
And into memory cells which will circulate the blood ready to make plasma cells if it comes into contact with the same pathogen again...

is that right? just wrote down what i remember.

Second asnwers good. compare 1st one with MS i posted
Reply 665
Original post by ??????????????????
I'm on it!
Mainly cos I've done that question a long time ago but need to remember it D:

for III it's because if you don't wash it out you can still have sone left so if the antigens are not present you still get a positive result as they are stil there. Enzymes are related to the antibodies/gens because it's monoclonal. To see if they are infected, the enzyme is used. If it binds to the antigen it is infected.

Ok, still confused (I'm a special brand of stupidity :P)

I get steps 1 and 2 detailed in the question. They make perfect sense, what i don't get is:

1. Why carry on? They've established the sample contains the antigen and so person is infected right?
2. why use another antibody?
3. The plate is washed at step 4, so what remains on the plate? antibodies are stuck to plate right? but haven't all the antigens gone?
4. How on earth can an enzyme be complementary to an antigen?!

I'm about to lock myself in my room for the next couple of hours to do some last minute cramming - so I just want to wish everyone good luck for tomorrow!
Reply 667
Okay so here's a question.

Explain how the Cholera bacteria causes diarrhea in the patients
- mention water potential etc.
Reply 668
what have you guys been getting in the past papers? and how many raw marks is an A? does it say it on the AQA website?
Reply 669
would there by any chance that something to do with cancer would come up?
Original post by Rickesh

Original post by Rickesh

Reduced elasticity; Lungs cant fully inflate, so less oxygen diffues through to the blood.

Thicker walls, less gas exchange surface..

Alveolar damages reduced Sa...

Coz of all of these, Less respiration as less oxygen reaches respiring tissue so you're tired

Somewhere along the lines of that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 671
Original post by Rickesh

Results from difficulty in exhaling air due to loss of elasticity of the lungs and as the lungs cannot be emptied it becomes difficult to inhale fresh air containg O2 so patient feels breathless.
Reply 672

Cholera causes the chloride ion channels to open in the eptihelial cells of the small intestines. The chloride ions then move out of the cells into the lumen, lowering the water potenial of the lumen. Water therefore follows out of the blood into the lume from a high water potential to low, by osmosis

Produces toxin, open chloride ion channels, Thereffore water potential in lumen decreases, water moves into lumen by osmosis, and you have diarrhoea
Original post by Tericon
Ok, still confused (I'm a special brand of stupidity :P)

I get steps 1 and 2 detailed in the question. They make perfect sense, what i don't get is:

1. Why carry on? They've established the sample contains the antigen and so person is infected right?
2. why use another antibody?
3. The plate is washed at step 4, so what remains on the plate? antibodies are stuck to plate right? but haven't all the antigens gone?
4. How on earth can an enzyme be complementary to an antigen?!

I can't remember the questions and feeling tired so :/ must put JPOP louder to keep awake.
1. I think it is to establish whether or not the drug is attatching to the antigen.
2. The first antibody binds to the antigen if it is present. The second binds to the first antibody. Used to see if it binds.
3. The antibodies are still there. The solution is not I think.
4. The enzyme is a monoclonal antibody and is complimentry in shape to the antibody not antigen.
Reply 675
Reduced elasticity; Lungs cant fully inflate, so less oxygen diffues through to the blood.

Thicker walls, less gas exchange surface..

Alveolar damages reduced Sa...

Coz of all of these, Less respiration as less oxygen reaches respiring tissue so you're tired

Somewhere along the lines of that?

yepp thats right !
Original post by Rickesh

Original post by Rickesh
yepp thats right !

:biggrin: How much wood would chuck norris chuck if chuck norris could chuck wood?

My fave.

Cholera produces a toxin that binds to the channel proteins for Cl- ions. This causes them to open. The Cl ions will enter the small intestine lumen lowering the water potential. This causes water to enter through osmosis so the faeces become watery. Symptons include diarrhea and flatulance.

Can anybody tell me which processes use channel proteins and which use carrier proteins?
:biggrin: How much wood would chuck norris chuck if chuck norris could chuck wood?

2 moles of wood.
Reply 679

what is cardiac output mean ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending