The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by animal*nature
Why when the second time you are exposed to a pathogen you respond more quickly to the pathogen

because the first time you experienced the pathogen your b-cells produced memory cells that remember the antigen, and already have antibodies that have the complementary shape to the antigen so the next time the body is infected with the same pathogen they can quickly release these antibodies instead of having to wait for the t-cells to stimulate the b-cells then the b-cells make plasma cells which make the memory cells, its already done so its quicker
Original post by Sighrawr
Hah I know, but it doesn't mean poor grammar is acceptable. Without English we would not be able to communicate in these bloody biology exams. :smile:

As long as we don't have to remember how to spell diarrhea...
Original post by Jubilee~
yeah, you said "Cholera causes the chloride ion channels to open in the eptihelial cells of the small intestines. The chloride ions then move out of the cells into the lumen, lowering the water potenial of the lumen. Water therefore follows out of the blood into the lume from a high water potential to low, by osmosis"

so what i said was it'd be good if you said before the last sentence that water moves from epethelial into the lumen which IN turn causes water to move from the blood into the epethelial.

am i making any sense :smile:

Makes more sense if you said that the epithelial has less water because of the osmotic movement into the lumen lowers the water potential in the epithelial so water from blood moves there. :O
Original post by Tericon

Original post by Tericon
Just going through past papers and their MS, posting stuff I don't understand, anyone please help with this?

Calculate the number of cases of diarrhoea confirmed as being caused by
Campylobacter jejuni in men in 1998.

60,000 confirmed cases, ratio: more frequent in males than female, ratio = 1.5:1

I know the answer, but how do you work it out? I thought it'd be 60000/1.5, but thats gives 40000, which is apparently not the answer....

(60,000/2.5) x 1.5
Reply 723
About 12 hours until we open the paper.......it will be the commencement of this summer massacre commited by me :colone:
Reply 724
Original post by BeejTheone
(60,000/2.5) x 1.5

why do you have to divide by 2.5?
Original post by Rickesh
Why you retaking, thats an A?

haha that was a practice paper :P I got a c 68 UMS when i first did it
Original post by Rahul.S
About 12 hours until we open the paper.......it will be the commencement of this summer massacre commited by me :colone:

That's the spirit!:redface:
Reply 727
Original post by ??????????????????

Makes more sense if you said that the epithelial has less water because of the osmotic movement into the lumen lowers the water potential in the epithelial so water from blood moves there. :O

i hate spelling diarrhea LOOOOOOOOOOL & that's what i said in my previous post and i cba repeat myself :smile:
Reply 728
hmm early night or revision till a bit later
Original post by Rickesh

Ratio is 1.5:1 so 1.5 + 1=2.5
For every 2.5 one is 1.5 and that is why.
Original post by Rickesh

Original post by Rickesh

Its ratio question so its basically maths. 1+1.5 = 2.5 This is the total of all cases.

so you divide to get 1 and then multiply by 1.5 to get 1.5 (which is case for men)

Diarrheoa. I just learned how to spell it right for the first time in my life today.

Early night!

Thats what im doing PEACE PEOPLE! gl!
Reply 733
Retaking is for the third time? Third time lucky? :O Though need to be first time lucky for me :frown: Hardly any unis like retakes when applying for medicene. :frown:

I got high Bs, but considering Unit 5 and 4 were both horrible and this is supposed to be the easiest one, I need to get close to 100 UMS in this to make up for the future disaster of the unit 5 exam :P

Surprised they don't seem to mind for Law... You seem to know your stuff, you'll be fine :smile: Good luck :smile: (not that you need it :tongue:)
Reply 734
Next questions people....!
Reply 735
who's staying up for a bit? am having a quick shower then going to stay up until 11/12
i hate spelling diarrhea LOOOOOOOOOOL & that's what i said in my previous post and i cba repeat myself :smile:

Original post by Sighrawr
Diarrheoa. I just learned how to spell it right for the first time in my life today.

Big diarrheoa quote.
Google does not help.
When i put diarrheoa in it doesn't suggest anything else but if i put diarrheo in it doesn't either. Probably one is American. DAMN YOU AMERICAN SPELLING!
Original post by Tericon
I got high Bs, but considering Unit 5 and 4 were both horrible and this is supposed to be the easiest one, I need to get close to 100 UMS in this to make up for the future disaster of the unit 5 exam :P

Surprised they don't seem to mind for Law... You seem to know your stuff, you'll be fine :smile: Good luck :smile: (not that you need it :tongue:)

It's the chem and maths that will cause the failure. Maths not so much. The organic chemistry...
Original post by Ramin Gorji
haha that was a practice paper :P I got a c 68 UMS when i first did it

Snap! Now im resitting to try and get an A, but i cant get Unit 2 out of my head!!:s-smilie:
Reply 739
Big diarrheoa quote.
Google does not help.
When i put diarrheoa in it doesn't suggest anything else but if i put diarrheo in it doesn't either. Probably one is American. DAMN YOU AMERICAN SPELLING!

i think its diarrhoea - lol, award moment i google this stuff on the dowstairs pc and my mother walks in thinking wtf.
o.O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending