The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Average for 100 UMS is around 50/60 average over the last 5 exams. I hope that only the people on TSR pass and the rest fail so the grade boundries are really low. Very spiteful I know
Original post by ??????????????????
Naming is easy. It's the reactions! D:

Reactions.....Unit 2?

Cause I cant remember any reactions for unit 1.
Original post by nasira372
Average for 100 UMS is around 50/60 average over the last 5 exams. I hope that only the people on TSR pass and the rest fail so the grade boundries are really low. Very spiteful I know

Aren't you nice. Mainly cos I am on TSR so screw the rest :biggrin:
Reactions.....Unit 2?

Cause I cant remember any reactions for unit 1.

Yeah unit 2. I suck at unit 2 reactions. D:

a)Explain what happens during your Humoral response. 5 marks

b)Explain what happens during your Cell mediated response. 5 Marks

c)Explain the structure of the cell membrane. 5 Marks

If anyone wants to answer these questions for practice, please quote me first as I am struggling. I have a strong feeling 1 of these might come

a) The humoural response occurs within the bodily fluids and involves B-cells. Upon encountering the pathogen the B-cells present the pathogen's antigens so that the T helper cells can activate B-cells to divide into plasma cells. Plasma cells produce antibodies that have complementary shapes to the antigens so they can be attached to the antigens and destroy the pathogen. B-cells also divide into memory cells which can then divide quickly into plasma cells when the same pathogen is encountered again.

b) T lymphocytes will only react to the body's own cells with the pathogen's antigens. Receptors on T helper cells will bind to the antigen and activates the T-cell to divide into memory cells which can provide a faster immune response to the same pathogen in the future. The T-cells also kill infected cells directly, or stimulates phagocytes to engulf the pathogen. The T-helper cells will activate the B-cells to divide.

c) The cell membrane is made up mostly of phospholipid bilayer which contain a hydrophilic phosphate head and two hydrophobic fatty acid tails that makes it difficult for water soluble molecules like glucose to enter the cell. The more unsaturated fatty acids there are in the bilayer, the more fluid the membrane. Intrinsic proteins can be found throughout the bilayer and they can act as protein channels or carriers to transport water soluble molecules. Extrinsic proteins and glycoproteins bind together to act as receptors for the cell.

Not sure if they are right, or whether they will get all 5 marks :P could someone point out what else I need to add in order to get full marks? Thanks :smile:
Do u think we have to know how lymphocytes recognise their own cells ?
Original post by animal*nature
Do u think we have to know how lymphocytes recognise their own cells ?

They got their own receptors.
Reply 826

:') hahaaa same!
Original post by Evanesyne
a) The humoural response occurs within the bodily fluids and involves B-cells. Upon encountering the pathogen the B-cells present the pathogen's antigens so that the T helper cells can activate B-cells to divide into plasma cells. Plasma cells produce antibodies that have complementary shapes to the antigens so they can be attached to the antigens and destroy the pathogen. B-cells also divide into memory cells which can then divide quickly into plasma cells when the same pathogen is encountered again.

b) T lymphocytes will only react to the body's own cells with the pathogen's antigens. Receptors on T helper cells will bind to the antigen and activates the T-cell to divide into memory cells which can provide a faster immune response to the same pathogen in the future. The T-cells also kill infected cells directly, or stimulates phagocytes to engulf the pathogen. The T-helper cells will activate the B-cells to divide.

c) The cell membrane is made up mostly of phospholipid bilayer which contain a hydrophilic phosphate head and two hydrophobic fatty acid tails that makes it difficult for water soluble molecules like glucose to enter the cell. The more unsaturated fatty acids there are in the bilayer, the more fluid the membrane. Intrinsic proteins can be found throughout the bilayer and they can act as protein channels or carriers to transport water soluble molecules. Extrinsic proteins and glycoproteins bind together to act as receptors for the cell.

Not sure if they are right, or whether they will get all 5 marks :P could someone point out what else I need to add in order to get full marks? Thanks :smile:

Looks fine.

I put this

Spoiler

Seems about right
Aren't you nice. Mainly cos I am on TSR so screw the rest :biggrin:

Yeah unit 2. I suck at unit 2 reactions. D:

I was going to say I hope everyone does well but I knew Id have loads of negs so instead I wrote everyone on TSR :biggrin:

Everyone here is clever though so Im sure you all will do well :smile:
Looks like it's slowed down. I'll probably be off. Need more than 6 hours sleep.
Good luck all.
Reply 830
yeh good luck everyone!! im online from 5Am for some more revision...
i'll be on Tsr if anybody else will be up at that time
Reply 831
Good luck all! I'm off to bed. Remember, you worked hard for this exam, so just go and smash it! :smile:

Night.
Write an article for your school magazine in which you argue that schools should spend more money on...

A room for leisure.

It is a known fact that an area, such as our school would be more appealing to our students, if there was a personal attraction. As most of you may be aware, our school has below national average attendance rates by a jaw dropping 37%. When a survey was carried out questioning your fellow peers why they chose not to attend many sited that there was simply “nothing to do” and that they found coming to school “boring”. So surely something must be done, so that the betrayed students have something “to do”?

Not only should schools create an optimum educational environment; they should also create a fabulous, fun and friendly social environment. So by creating a room for leisure they will successfully achieve this.

However some believe that by creating a room for leisure, schools would be seen as nothing but a social hub. However this is not the case, as a study carried out at Chester university showed that by providing students a chance to fully “recharge their batteries” in between lessons, increases their concentration by a staggering 27%! Hence increasing the marks obtained in their exams by an earth shattering 64%.Which would in turn favour the school as our students results would outshine that of others around the country.

Furthermore, Professor Full marks asserts that giving students motivation will make them work harder as they will want to do well. Creating a room for leisure will fulfil this as providing a room with top of the range gadgets and gizmos will motivate the students, because it’ll show the students what money can buy. Thus making them want to work harder at school, so they’ll have the money in the future to buy whatever the wish to.

In stark contrast however people believe that spending money on a room for leisure is like “throwing money down the drain”. But surely a schools purpose is to educate its pupils and help them perform to the best of their ability. So if a room for leisure can significantly benefit the students then it’s worth every penny.

On the whole, the benefits of providing our students with a room for leisure, dramatically outweighs the minor negatives. As our student’s attendance, performance and even motivation will take a turn for the better.

please can someone mark this out of 27 its for my english gcse tomorrow :smile:
Reply 833
Original post by hafsahasmat
Write an article for your school magazine in which you argue that schools should spend more money on...

A room for leisure.

It is a known fact that an area, such as our school would be more appealing to our students, if there was a personal attraction. As most of you may be aware, our school has below national average attendance rates by a jaw dropping 37%. When a survey was carried out questioning your fellow peers why they chose not to attend many sited that there was simply “nothing to do” and that they found coming to school “boring”. So surely something must be done, so that the betrayed students have something “to do”?

Not only should schools create an optimum educational environment; they should also create a fabulous, fun and friendly social environment. So by creating a room for leisure they will successfully achieve this.

However some believe that by creating a room for leisure, schools would be seen as nothing but a social hub. However this is not the case, as a study carried out at Chester university showed that by providing students a chance to fully “recharge their batteries” in between lessons, increases their concentration by a staggering 27%! Hence increasing the marks obtained in their exams by an earth shattering 64%.Which would in turn favour the school as our students results would outshine that of others around the country.

Furthermore, Professor Full marks asserts that giving students motivation will make them work harder as they will want to do well. Creating a room for leisure will fulfil this as providing a room with top of the range gadgets and gizmos will motivate the students, because it’ll show the students what money can buy. Thus making them want to work harder at school, so they’ll have the money in the future to buy whatever the wish to.

In stark contrast however people believe that spending money on a room for leisure is like “throwing money down the drain”. But surely a schools purpose is to educate its pupils and help them perform to the best of their ability. So if a room for leisure can significantly benefit the students then it’s worth every penny.

On the whole, the benefits of providing our students with a room for leisure, dramatically outweighs the minor negatives. As our student’s attendance, performance and even motivation will take a turn for the better.

please can someone mark this out of 27 its for my english gcse tomorrow :smile:

8. bye.
Good luck for today everyone! :smile: :smile:
why is data given as a percentage? what is the advantage?
Reply 836
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
why is data given as a percentage? what is the advantage?

allows comparison and shows proportional change
Reply 837
I never watch when Arsenal lose. Which has been a while :frown: got maths soon too :frown:

lol.....i got m1 on wed and d1 on friday :colone: just woke up and went over stuff....JUST CNT WAIT FOR THE EXAM NW!!!
Reply 838
Original post by A_clizzy
allows comparison and shows proportional change

Allows comparison because the starting masses are different.
Reply 839
Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest