The Student Room Group

Does anyone else feel they chose the wrong university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by illusionz
Not really, I genuinely feel I'd have more fun at somewhere like Bristol or UCL. At the moment sport and going out has taken priority and it's not looking good.

Stop bragging.
I am going to start uni in sep.. don't know how it is going to be.. but i am really worried whether i made the wrong choice..
Original post by Young Spade
No, I'm just assuming that you would value your education and your correlating mindset to why you are there; I don't understand why you don't like a place of learning or would want to change because you don't have friends.

I assumed that since you're in college, you would understand the importance of your education and little things like not having friends wouldn't deter you from your goal. Of course you never said it did but wanting to switch schools because you don't have friends now? I just don't quite understand.

i think there has to be a balance throughout life really as to how hard you work and how much you enjoy yourself. Some people are fine with working themselves to the bone but this girl obviously isn't one of them.

The part I disagree with is when you make out like going to university is 100% about education and people go solely to improve their career chances/get a degree. Might be like this on paper but lets be honest, university is the first time many people are away from home and the last time they won't have a 9-5 job and later on, family and other commitments. Many adults describe uni as the best years of their life, so it's understandable OP doesn't want to waste these years as a billy no mates.
Original post by colin4president

i think there has to be a balance throughout life really as to how hard you work and how much you enjoy yourself. Some people are fine with working themselves to the bone but this girl obviously isn't one of them.

The part I disagree with is when you make out like going to university is 100% about education and people go solely to improve their career chances/get a degree. Might be like this on paper but lets be honest, university is the first time many people are away from home and the last time they won't have a 9-5 job and later on, family and other commitments. Many adults describe uni as the best years of their life, so it's understandable OP doesn't want to waste these years as a billy no mates.

Oh no I agree that a university isn't always just about education, and that you have to have a balance between the two. I for one hated going to my university throughout the entire first year because I feel the same way she does; I hardly have any "friends" and I spend a lot of time alone and to myself. What I was saying is that it isn't worth it to just "switch" and go to an entirely different university because you aren't happy with the way your social life is.

I didn't mean for it to come off that friends and a social life doesn't matter, it does matter and is somewhat necessary for someone to succeed at a university, IMO, on some level of course. However, switching because you don't have any friends doesn't guarente friends at your new university. If you still do the same things in a different environment, chances are you're going to get the same results. My personal gripe was mostly about the people that I was around, so changing colleges would have a great impact on my enjoyment there.

On the contrary, I'm not one to go out partying or ganging out so my interaction with people outside of the class is going to be lower in general than other people. Going to a different university would change the people I'm around but it wouldn't change what I do that causes the lack of constant communication with people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -Invidious-
Stop bragging.

If I wanted to brag I'd put it all over my profile and signature like most people here. Moron.
Original post by Aeschylus
Did you go to St. Georges?

And my ex was at Heriot-Watt so yeah I kinda get you :biggrin:

i did indeed ha ha
I don't understand why you're hating the chance to get a good education because you can't find friends. Your social life sucks? Wow. And I thought, sense you are obviously smart enough to go to a university, that you'd know there are more important things than friends at this point.

Get over yourself and focus on your studies. I felt this way too but that was my first semester when I was 18 and still very young/ignorant. Having finished my first year here, I have learned a hell of a lot, a lot more than I would have learned if I went to any other college.

I never said I was hating my opportunity to get a good education. I worked hard to get into uni and appreciate the opportunity I have. I'm saying the decision I made was not perhaps the right one for me. If you think studying is more important than friends. wow just wow. Also I do focus on my studies and don't need to get over myself.
However, switching because you don't have any friends doesn't guarente friends at your new university. If you still do the same things in a different environment, chances are you're going to get the same results.

Many people have said my uni is in particular full of cliches. I think certain unis can affect how you make friends. Not trying to sound like a snob here but a lot of the people i go to uni with are from different social backgrounds and I totally think that makes a difference.
OP doesn't want to waste these years as a billy no mates.

hey I'm not a complete loner :P I do have friends just not the big social group I was expecting. I like you're outlook on balance tho :smile: totally what I need in life
I went to my uni because it was close to home (at the time I was TERRIFIED of the thought of uni, or leaving home) and they were offering me a scholarship. I wish I'd known that I'd be okay, I'd actually love living away from home and that the uni I'd gone to wasn't really what I wanted or needed in a University.

I'm just at the end of my second year now, and I can't tell you how much I'd completed a transfer that I'd started in the first year. Really regretting that now.

On the plus side, I have made a lot of friends, who I wouldn't change for the world now.
Reply 30
I regret choosing my uni last year. It wasn't really my desired university, but I had no choice because I wanted to live close!
Reply 31
I regretted the uni I chose last year. I just went there because it was close to home and the thought of moving away really scared me. I ended up being miserable there. I made that tough and rather risky decision to drop out and reapply. Much more excited about uni this time around though. I've grown up a lot in the last year as well, and moving away from home no longer frightens me.
Original post by helen.allan123

Many people have said my uni is in particular full of cliches. I think certain unis can affect how you make friends. Not trying to sound like a snob here but a lot of the people i go to uni with are from different social backgrounds and I totally think that makes a difference.

Of of course, you're obviously going to have different groups of people who think Fraternaties and Sorrorities are the hot shiz (not saying anything about them, I'm thinking of joining one myself), and also people who want to be the most popular, hang out with the most people and do the most stuff with a lot of people.

I'm not one that feels that they need to make a ton of friends to be content, but that just might be because I'm only 3 hours away from home and I have a great group of friends back there. Now if you do have problems and you think your life would be easier/better if you moved, then go ahead and move it's your life. I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't do it because I"m not in "your" shoes (directing at OP i guess), but I'm justs saying to make sure there's a logical reason and you just aren't doing it because you're "unhappy" with the way things are right now.
Yes, terrible choice. But I've made plenty of them so it has company and dwelling on it achieves nothing.
Reply 34
I wish I'd listened to my instincts when applying first time round. I was unsure about the university I chose, even upto moving in day. All throughout my first year I was considering transferring, I even arranged a transfer, but I never completed it. I thought I might as well stick it out.

But into 2nd year I realised my university wasn't right for me at all, the course structures, the size of it, the city, everything felt wrong and I was miserable. So, I am starting my 2nd year again in a different city and I couldn't be more excited about it. Everything feels right this time. Fingers crossed!
hey I'm not a complete loner :P I do have friends just not the big social group I was expecting. I like you're outlook on balance tho :smile: totally what I need in life

lol sorry i didn't mean to imply you were, got a bit carried away with the wording!
lol sorry i didn't mean to imply you were, got a bit carried away with the wording!

it's quite all right ha ha :smile:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

On the plus side, I have made a lot of friends, who I wouldn't change for the world now.

yeh i feel the same with people ive met who i wouldnt otherwise if i hadnt stayed in edinburgh. always got to look for the silver lining i suppose.

yeh i feel the same with people ive met who i wouldnt otherwise if i hadnt stayed in edinburgh. always got to look for the silver lining i suppose.

You definitely have to look at the silver lining. It wasn't until I was a third of the way though my second semester that I really looked back and saw how much I have changed.

You definitely have to look at the silver lining. It wasn't until I was a third of the way though my second semester that I really looked back and saw how much I have changed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending