The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 resit - 16th May

Revision thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am also resiting this,
anyone have an idea of what may come up?
Reply 2
anyone know the structure and function of; epithilial cells, palisade cells, root hair cells and neutrophils.. ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 3
I am resitting this for the 4th time, i think i might be the only person in the World. I just dont get it. I got an A first time in F212. what am i doing wrong in this paper :frown: *slams head into wall*
Does anybody have the past paper for F211 January 2011?
Reply 5
Original post by Zeddude

Original post by Zeddude
I am resitting this for the 4th time, i think i might be the only person in the World. I just dont get it. I got an A first time in F212. what am i doing wrong in this paper :frown: *slams head into wall*

I'm also retaking my cells, exchange and transport paper for the 4th time so you aren't alone!. . . its a complete joke now! i came out of the exam in january feeling really confident that i'd finally aced it but that turned out to not be the case :'( i'm getting soooooo frustrated with it now, i just don't know where i'm going wrong.
In terms of what was on the jan 11 paper, i can't remember exactly BUT from what i can remember, there was a little bit on the process of mitosis, a bit on xylem vessel pits i think amd i think there was like a question on differentiation but i'm not totally sure. . . . :/
the past paper for this is not available at the moment!
i'm currently resitting from my 2 U's in January!
good luck!! xx
Reply 7
Can someone please explain the Bohr shift?
Reply 8
another point aswell;
describe how tissue fluid is formed in the blood plasma
and water potential

Having real trouble still with water potential!!!
Hey I have the 2011 paper, mark scheme and insert (except the insert exceeds the upload limit?). This is the third time I'm resitting as I got exactly the same mark the previous two times round which got me an E. The insert is a picture of a eukaryote cell and a steaming cut branch. The steaming branch picture is pretty pointless as it doesn't really help you answer the question and the mark scheme wants you to basically talk about the xylems adaptations. I wouldn't try to guess what comes up on the paper as only the person that writes it knows! but they can only ask you stuff on the spec unless you get the often strange how science works questions that might pop up. My guesses are:
A question involving the xylem and/or phloem (e.g. structure, transpiration, location of them in roots or stem, xerophytes ect)
The heart or something related to it such as veins, capillaries, arteries, circulatory systems, AVN, SAN even gaseous exchange
This would also tie in with the lungs (e.g. Bohr effect, structure, adaptations, surface area to volume ratio, spirometer, inhaling, exhaling ect)
Quite possibly cell division, mitosis question this has come up in almost every paper but one
Also something to do with cells/ microscopes so eukaryotes/prokaryotes, resolution, calculating magnification, cell organelles, cytoskeleton, plasmolysis, cell surface membrane (plasma membrane), glycoproteins,

Basically get the spec off OCR's website grab your textbook or notes and check you know everything it states.

The Bohr effect
Large, active organisms need a circulatory system because they have a small surface area to volume ratio. Haemoglobin is a pigment found in red blood cells. These cells are also known as erythrocytes . Haemoglobin has a high affinity for oxygen. In the lungs, the haemoglobin associates with oxygen to form oxyhaemoglobin. In respiring tissues, the oxygen is released by dissociation. In very active tissues, the amount of oxygen released can be increased by the presence of more carbon dioxide .
This is called the .................... effect. [6]
Basically oxygen is transported around the body by binding to haemoglobin, when you need to respire quickly e.g. when exercising the amount of CO2 in the body increases and produces more hydrogen ions, this diffuses into red blood cells and causes the oxygen to be released by dissociating it from the haemoglobin. On a dissociation curve this is shown by it moving down and too the right.

Tissue fluid is the fluid that leaves the capillaries as blood flows through them this consists of blood containing plasma, dissolved nutrients and oxygen which are small enough to diffuse through when put under high pressure from the heart contracting (hydrostatic pressure). Excess tissue fluid then drains into the lymphatic system.

Hope I've cleared a few things up for people :smile: and sorry for the really long message
Original post by TOMDAVIES920
Hey I have the 2011 paper, mark scheme and insert (except the insert exceeds the upload limit?). This is the third time I'm resitting as I got exactly the same mark the previous two times round which got me an E. The insert is a picture of a eukaryote cell and a steaming cut branch. The steaming branch picture is pretty pointless as it doesn't really help you answer the question and the mark scheme wants you to basically talk about the xylems adaptations. I wouldn't try to guess what comes up on the paper as only the person that writes it knows! but they can only ask you stuff on the spec unless you get the often strange how science works questions that might pop up. My guesses are:
A question involving the xylem and/or phloem (e.g. structure, transpiration, location of them in roots or stem, xerophytes ect)
The heart or something related to it such as veins, capillaries, arteries, circulatory systems, AVN, SAN even gaseous exchange
This would also tie in with the lungs (e.g. Bohr effect, structure, adaptations, surface area to volume ratio, spirometer, inhaling, exhaling ect)
Quite possibly cell division, mitosis question this has come up in almost every paper but one
Also something to do with cells/ microscopes so eukaryotes/prokaryotes, resolution, calculating magnification, cell organelles, cytoskeleton, plasmolysis, cell surface membrane (plasma membrane), glycoproteins,

Basically get the spec off OCR's website grab your textbook or notes and check you know everything it states.

The Bohr effect
Large, active organisms need a circulatory system because they have a small surface area to volume ratio. Haemoglobin is a pigment found in red blood cells. These cells are also known as erythrocytes . Haemoglobin has a high affinity for oxygen. In the lungs, the haemoglobin associates with oxygen to form oxyhaemoglobin. In respiring tissues, the oxygen is released by dissociation. In very active tissues, the amount of oxygen released can be increased by the presence of more carbon dioxide .
This is called the .................... effect. [6]
Basically oxygen is transported around the body by binding to haemoglobin, when you need to respire quickly e.g. when exercising the amount of CO2 in the body increases and produces more hydrogen ions, this diffuses into red blood cells and causes the oxygen to be released by dissociating it from the haemoglobin. On a dissociation curve this is shown by it moving down and too the right.

Tissue fluid is the fluid that leaves the capillaries as blood flows through them this consists of blood containing plasma, dissolved nutrients and oxygen which are small enough to diffuse through when put under high pressure from the heart contracting (hydrostatic pressure). Excess tissue fluid then drains into the lymphatic system.

Hope I've cleared a few things up for people :smile: and sorry for the really long message

You life saver! :smile:
Reply 11
Can anyone explain to me how to calculate magnification? :smile: thanks
Reply 12
Hey, anyone got any specific predictions on what might be on the exam? since the jan one was mainly on plant stuff. ?
Reply 13
Original post by Jono300
Can anyone explain to me how to calculate magnification? :smile: thanks

use AIM to work out magnification.

Magnification = image size/actual size

be careful with converting your units. i.e into nanometres.
can anyone tell me the importance of the cellsurface membrane??
Original post by levantine
can anyone tell me the importance of the cellsurface membrane??

cell surface membrane
- holds components of metabolic pathways in place
- controls what enters and leaves the cell
- cell recognition and cell signalling
- separates cell component from outside environment
- separates cell content from cytoplasm
Original post by Ecstacy.
anyone know the structure and function of; epithilial cells, palisade cells, root hair cells and neutrophils.. ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-sqamous epithelial cells are flattened cells, which form a smooth surface so are used in the lining of blood vessels, so blood can flow through easily. line walls of alveoli - one cell thick. collagen and glycoprotein form basement membrane.

-ciliated epithelial cells- column shaped, contain cilia to waft mucus up the trachea to be swallowed. found in trachea,bronchioles,bronchus,oviduct.

-root hair cells have hair like projections which increase the surface are so more water/minerals could be absorbed
Hello.
Revising Heart because nothing about the heart came up in the January 2011 paper
Reply 19
Original post by yamamotootsu
Revising Heart because nothing about the heart came up in the January 2011 paper

same! was so pissed off that nothing came up on the heart.

you should try the june 2009 paper. it has a good mix of both but mainly heart/cells stuff :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending