The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 resit - 16th May

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aedai
someone seriously needs to give me a good definition of resolution.
Whenever I write one, I always get it wrong.
I've never seen a good explanation of it.

Is this right?
The ability to distinguish two seperate points clearly.

As for magnification can you just say the ratio between the size of an object and its image?

I have no idea how I'd answer a 3 mark resolution question.

also for magnification for TEM and SEM.
in the books it says TEM = 250000x and in exams its been 500,000x
for SEM= 100000x in books. and 150000x in exams. Really confused. I guess I stick to what the examboard wants right?

I'm going to go through xerophytes and transpiration before I go to bed. and maybe a bit of the heart.

I'm actually quite relaxed :biggrin:

resolution= the ability to see two objects as two objects.

dont say the word clearly or you WILL drop the mark
Reply 121
Original post by Rory_M

Original post by Rory_M
Protein synthesis/organelle synthesis.
DNA replication.
Cell growth.

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by aedai
Well yes. water potential in the venous end is lower so tissue fluid flows into it via osmosis.

I'm a bit confused about what you said at the beginning >.<

Hm one question. When the tissue fluid flows into the capillary at the venous end, does the tissue fluid contain all the metabolic waste from surrounding cells, i.e carbon dioxide? Cause then it makes more sense.

no all the waste products drain into lymphatic system
Original post by shamzika
I'm just going to keep coming with the questions...:biggrin::wink::biggrin:

How would you answer this one:

Which processes must occur in a cell during interphase before mitosis can take place? [3]

dna replication=s phase
checking dna to make sure its correct
growth of cell =g1/g2 phase
production of atp
Reply 124
Original post by LisaWilliams
Hey, just found a batch of past papers relevant to the F211 specification. Here's the link: http://pastpapers.org/foundation-biology-papers Hope it's of help!

Thank you so much! these are really helpful, even if i am a bit late...:redface:

Original post by LisaWilliams
Just noted that a lot of the questions from this old syllabus have been put into the new syllabus F211 papers, sometimes with the exact same wording so it will really pay off to look through them!!

They actually are! Hopefully I'll be able to use these for F212 ...:colone:
Reply 125
Can someone tell me how you work out the beats per minute on p14 - question 6 (a) on the May 2010 paper.

I've looked at the mark scheme and its saying 67-80 beats but i have no idea where they get that from.

I know you divide the time by 60.

I don't know which part they are looking at for the time axis for where the heart beat stops.
Bricking it! Good luck today everyone, I'm sure we will all do great :smile:
Reply 127
Best of luck everyone!
What did everyone think??
It was okay, so much better than Jan. Only unsure on the really long ones, but I think writing down key words helped.
Reply 130
Original post by bex_1_2_1
What did everyone think??

mmmm was okay. The measuring oxygen uptake got me and I got a little confused with the source and sink question so put sink neither sink. And also the percentile question, was it 18 :s
i aslo got 18 :smile:
I got 18%, I found it difficult to actually understand the question but it just seemed to work out alright.
What did you guys put for the components of the cell membrane? I Put 1. Phospholipids 2. Channel and carrier proteins and 3. Glycoproteins.

How many marks do you think I'd get out of 3?
(edited 12 years ago)
Are we allowed to discuss the exam yet? :confused: I'm always scared of getting banned :s-smilie: Anyway, I thought it was a strange paper, didn't go particularly well, or particularly bad, but a lot of stuff I revised didn't come up :frown: kinda disappointed...
Original post by Sandeep G
Yeah you can discuss OCR straight away :smile:

Thanks! :smile: Well in that case, I messed up the spirometer trace, managed to forget that root hair cells takes up minerals by active transport and have no idea how a spirometer measures oxygen uptake :s-smilie:. Fail.

Now terrified for F212.
Reply 136
what were the examples for active trasnport?
Reply 137
Original post by Tasha001
what were the examples for active trasnport?

for one i put mg ions/ root hair cell
Reply 138
what about oxygen uptake .. that was really random,
Reply 139
Original post by Niki_girl
Thanks! :smile: Well in that case, I messed up the spirometer trace, managed to forget that root hair cells takes up minerals by active transport and have no idea how a spirometer measures oxygen uptake :s-smilie:. Fail.

Now terrified for F212.

when was there a question about root hair cells?(I sware I didn't miss any pages as I went through it afterwards.)

hm people were saying that the spirometer trace goes slightly down but if you're at rest it should go constant and flat.

annoys that nothing came up about lymph fluid and transpiration.

I was the same with the spirometer oxygen uptake. I just wrote random stuff :frown:

Was the first long question about elastic tissue.. squamous epithelium and things?

there was so much about the heart :frown: I wasn't confident about any of those questions to be honest. I've seen nothing written about them in the book.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending