The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 resit - 16th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by lolo_uk

Original post by lolo_uk
mmm true but if evry1 found it hard then they will go down :redface:

yes for harder papers the grade boundaries range around 40-42 , harder papers around 42-45 :smile:
Reply 181
Original post by yulyul
I just found this the most horrible paper, the topics I spent hours revising were in the test but with one word answers and made up little of the marking points. While the questions I had believed would be one or two marks were 5+ and they were insignificant topics compared to haemoglobin and mitosis etc.
I'm desperate to apply for Dentistry next year and I worked so hard to try and pass these exams the first time!

What does everyone reckon the grade boundaries will be?

x

we all did the same not just u, i revised the potometer, fetal Hb and other stuff and none came up. this is my second time resiting it :frown:
same i was thinking to do dentistry after year 13 :wink:
spirometer uestions were just mean! Totally flopped that page!
Reply 183
Also on the last question, i described the translocation! I realise that this is probably totally wrong but did anyone else do the same?
Original post by ciarangc
thats like 67%!!! it will be around 80% so 48 out of 60 :frown: for an A

yo that is the raw mark, but marks are calculated in ums and so will usually be 40 marks out of 60 for an A because these papers are very hard as answers have to be extremely specific. For other papers the g boundaries where 40-46 out of 60 for A.

I found it very hard too, had to bull **** a lot of it especially the active transport bit. And also really annoyed at the fact that i revised so much on bigger topics, like cell cycle, inspiration, etc and none of it came up! But hopefully if i can scrape an a in this paper i should be alright getting an A overall!

How did everyone find the coursework out of 40? Hopefully grade boundary goes down for that as well
Original post by chingchong
yo that is the raw mark, but marks are calculated in ums and so will usually be 40 marks out of 60 for an A because these papers are very hard as answers have to be extremely specific. For other papers the g boundaries where 40-46 out of 60 for A.

I found it very hard too, had to bull **** a lot of it especially the active transport bit. And also really annoyed at the fact that i revised so much on bigger topics, like cell cycle, inspiration, etc and none of it came up! But hopefully if i can scrape an a in this paper i should be alright getting an A overall!

How did everyone find the coursework out of 40? Hopefully grade boundary goes down for that as well

i got 34/40 for coursework-hope that's an A
Reply 186
For the active transport, I put H+ out of the companion cell and Hco3- ions out of the red blood cell :smile:
Reply 187
Original post by ciarangc
For the active transport, I put H+ out of the companion cell and Hco3- ions out of the red blood cell :smile:

I used the sodium potassium pump. We'd talked about it in lessons loads. I don't know exactly where it is though :P
Reply 188

i got 39/40 which is an A :smile:
Reply 189
Original post by lolo_uk
i got 39/40 which is an A :smile:

wow thats high.
I just got 28/40
dunno if thats a C or B.
Reply 190
Original post by aedai
I used the sodium potassium pump. We'd talked about it in lessons loads. I don't know exactly where it is though :P

wats the sodium pump, neva heard of it?? :redface:
Original post by lolo_uk
wat about the question on active transport where you had to write two substances that use active transport
i put:
sucrose-transported in the phloem
water and ions-transported in the xylem

i dont think its right??? :redface:

Aren't water and ions transported by (facilitated) diffusion? :O
Reply 192
Original post by lolo_uk
wats the sodium pump, neva heard of it?? :redface:

Well I think it exists cause we did powerpoints on and made sheets. we'll see :P
I wish I could just put my biology book in my shelf but I've got the next unit next week >.<
Reply 193
Original post by aedai

Original post by aedai
wow thats high.
I just got 28/40
dunno if thats a C or B.

i got 24/40. :frown:
I put Mineral (Na+ ions) ions into root hairs
and glucose into ileum for the active transport question.

Anybody got any ideas on the 'why does the AV valve close' question?
What did people do for the Question on Adaptation of cells and tissues, for efficient Gaseous exchange. I didn't know weather to write about Alveoli or Goblet Cell/Ciliated Cell. I had No Clue what to write on that question!
Reply 196
Original post by yulyul
Also on the last question, i described the translocation! I realise that this is probably totally wrong but did anyone else do the same?

Not entirely i don't think, since the question was asking about the start of translocation right?

I think you were meant to talk about cotransporter proteins in companion cells actively pumping H+ ions out, then pumping them back in which brings sucrose in aswell. Then the sucrose goes through the plasmodesmata into the sieve tube
Reply 197
Original post by mmsalvatore
What did people do for the Question on Adaptation of cells and tissues, for efficient Gaseous exchange. I didn't know weather to write about Alveoli or Goblet Cell/Ciliated Cell. I had No Clue what to write on that question!

I did most of it on the alveoli then a small sentence on the cartilage in the bronchi/trachea which holds the airways open so theres little air resistance and the alveoli will be well ventilated
Reply 198

I'm on 30/40 for coursework, I got full marks in both the quantitative and qualitative but only 10/20 in the evaluative which really brought my overall grade down.
Original post by Amodeus
I did most of it on the alveoli then a small sentence on the cartilage in the bronchi/trachea which holds the airways open so theres little air resistance and the alveoli will be well ventilated

I just wrote about Alveoli and 1 Sentence on Squamous cells. I doubt I will get the 5 marks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending