The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nalced

Original post by Nalced
Does anyone know how to turn off the camera shutter sound on a Samsung Galaxy S2? I feel so gay taking pictures and it makes a very fake, "Ka-Chunk" sound.

You may actually be hearing a physical sound that it makes as it opens the shutter, my hero certainly makes a noise when I fire up the camera app
Hi guys,

I need your help for my college poject on power consumption of a smartphones(possibly android). You could help me by completing a simple survey about power consumption monitor for your smartphones.

Please click the link to survey hosted at Google Forms
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dFJ3ZW5YM1I4bHZJemJRaEEtY1BxeGc6MQ#gid=0

Regards,
dertimyan :smile:
Reply 5022
Original post by Mad Vlad
Root it and use a tool like Root Explorer to delete /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg

I'm new to Android but I'm told if I Root Kit/it my phone it'll lose automatic updates and stuff from my phone operator and manufacture, O2/Samsung. And someone else tells me it voids warranty and could turn my phone into a brick.

I like the idea of automatic updates and I have no idea where to start with rooting a phone.
Original post by G8D
Kinda odd to have "never" in the middle.

But completed.

I m new to google form, so left it as it is.. :wink: Thank you very much. ur input is truly appreciated..:smile:
Original post by G8D
I wasn't sure about the "What cloud service providers have you used"

I THINK Catch Notes/Catch.com would count.
But I didn't add it in.

yes it does count.. No worries.. i'll make note of that separately. anyways thanks for sharing..
Original post by Nalced

Original post by Nalced
I'm new to Android but I'm told if I Root Kit/it my phone it'll lose automatic updates and stuff from my phone operator and manufacture, O2/Samsung. And someone else tells me it voids warranty and could turn my phone into a brick.

I like the idea of automatic updates and I have no idea where to start with rooting a phone.

It depends on how you do it and whether or not you mess the phone up. Most phones have a "1 click root" program or something that allows you to root the phone within seconds/minutes. I remember back when I first rooted my Captivate it took me a while because I wanted to get everything right. I had to do a method that required pushing of a file then restarting in recovery... god that was bad (first time anyway lol). You have it easy now.

As for the breaking part, it doesn't really happen. If you follow the directions and don't do anything stupid, you should be fine; even then if you need to send the phone back or get it fixed, you can just unroot and go back to stock. Rooting/unrooting does not alter the files on the phone in any way.
Original post by Young Spade
It depends on how you do it and whether or not you mess the phone up. Most phones have a "1 click root" program or something that allows you to root the phone within seconds/minutes. I remember back when I first rooted my Captivate it took me a while because I wanted to get everything right. I had to do a method that required pushing of a file then restarting in recovery... god that was bad (first time anyway lol). You have it easy now.

As for the breaking part, it doesn't really happen. If you follow the directions and don't do anything stupid, you should be fine; even then if you need to send the phone back or get it fixed, you can just unroot and go back to stock. Rooting/unrooting does not alter the files on the phone in any way.

Is the unrooting as easy as un-jailbreaking iphones?
Original post by itsmyname

I've never done it but I think you just install an unrooted ROM (update file).

Well if the phone has a "1 click root" option there's probably a "1 click unroot" option. However if you don't have those options you can do it the "long" way which requires copying a folder to the root of the phone, restarting in recovery mode (volume buttons and power button when starting) and loading the file from there.

it's extremely easy either way and you can do it all within 10 minutes. If you're interested just head over to XDA developers and find the phone and a tutorial; there are a plethora of good ones there.
Original post by Young Spade
Well if the phone has a "1 click root" option there's probably a "1 click unroot" option. However if you don't have those options you can do it the "long" way which requires copying a folder to the root of the phone, restarting in recovery mode (volume buttons and power button when starting) and loading the file from there.

it's extremely easy either way and you can do it all within 10 minutes. If you're interested just head over to XDA developers and find the phone and a tutorial; there are a plethora of good ones there.

To add to this, most rootable phones with with a program called Super One Click. You simply install the Windows drivers for your phone, enable USB debugging on your phone (it's in the standard Android Settings menu) and click a button to root. Similarly, you can also click one button to unroot.
Original post by mikeyd85

To add to this, most rootable phones with with a program called Super One Click. You simply install the Windows drivers for your phone, enable USB debugging on your phone (it's in the standard Android Settings menu) and click a button to root. Similarly, you can also click one button to unroot.

That's exactly what I was referring to; I remember when the One Click Root with ODIN support was first released for the Captivate (Galaxy S). Loved it.
Does Android have a feature where you can transfer bookmarks from the Chrome browser to the android browser?
Will any of the future releases have this feature?

Currently running a Google Nexus S :biggrin:
Original post by hxecute
Does Android have a feature where you can transfer bookmarks from the Chrome browser to the android browser?
Will any of the future releases have this feature?

Currently running a Google Nexus S :biggrin:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.apps.chrometophone&feature=search_result

Methinks that app will do you nicely. :smile:
Does anyone know the talk time/standby time for the galaxy s2? I can't find it anywhere
Original post by onaslipperyslope
Does anyone know the talk time/standby time for the galaxy s2? I can't find it anywhere

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s-3115.php

Stand-by Up to 750 h (2G) / Up to 576 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 13 h 30 min (2G) / Up to 6 h 30 min (3G)
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s-3115.php

Stand-by Up to 750 h (2G) / Up to 576 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 13 h 30 min (2G) / Up to 6 h 30 min (3G)

:teeth: thanks, looks good. Last time I checked it said 'TBC' :colondollar:

edit. hold on that's the galaxy s, but found the right one from that link anyway :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by onaslipperyslope
:teeth: thanks, looks good. Last time I checked it said 'TBC' :colondollar:

GSM arena are really very good at getting all the specs for all phones and keeping the layout similar. Makes comparisons so much easeir.

GSM arena are really very good at getting all the specs for all phones and keeping the layout similar. Makes comparisons so much easeir.

I have that site as a search engine in chrome
Hey, are there any apps that I could use to send messages to people international? :smile:
Original post by JChoudhry

Original post by JChoudhry
Hey, are there any apps that I could use to send messages to people international? :smile:

Try getting a google voice number... check it out and see if they do international text, I'm sure they do though.

Latest

Trending

Trending