The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by Benevolence
Yes! me too :smile: aha.
What grade/mark are you hoping to get?
What about the other questions I posted?

For the heart rate one, i got it wrong i think. i took it as 0.6 seconds not 0.7 seconds per heartbeat :/ so i got a total of 100 haha

errm for the competitive inhibitor, that was another dodgy question. I just said it fits into the active site i think... i cant remember!

And i got a C when i originally took it in January '10, will be happy with a B, but kindaaaaa hoping for an A. XD i think its possible... you?
Reply 1041
I totally messed up the heart valves question I wrote the right answer then crossed it out and rote some next crap -.-. FML but then again it was better than the Jan exam
Reply 1042
Hey, how did you find it?

Personally, I thought it went well - that is there wasn't a question on there I didn't know. That said, there was one or two odd (and in my opinion, ambiguous) questions

The first, not so ambiguous, Heart rate. Did you guys put 86.7 or 87? I was really unsure. I wrote 86.7, then changed it to 87.

On the enzyme inhibition, did you say that it blocked it's active site? Or did you actually say it combined with it? I said blocked, resulting in less enzyme-substrate complexes. The reason being, Galactose is a product of lactose, so would it really fit into the same active site?

Also, what did you put for "Describe what point A is"

The rest went a breeze. I think I got the above right, I was just unsure if you know what I mean?

hmm it was better than i thought to be honest, I think I could answer everything but some of the questions were annoying :l
I think I just said it prevented the substrate from binding with the active site & forming an e-s complex
I basically just described where A was plotted, wbu?
mhmm I'm unsure, just hope the markscheme isnt too harsh :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DoaaK
hmm it was better than i thought to be honest, I think I could answer everything but the some of the questions were annoying :l
I think k just said it prevented the substrate from binding with the active site & forming an e-s complex
I basically just described where A was plotted, wbu?
mhmm I'm unsure, just hope the markscheme isnt too harsh :smile:

Yes! Yes! That is exactly what I put :smile: It's a relief. The trouble is, those kind of questions (the relatively ambiguous kind) promote a sort of pot luck approach, favouring weaker candidates.

On three of the four past paper questions I got 100 UMS (worked out my mark from the UMS converter for that paper on the AQA website) soo I was well revised.

I know an A is good, but i'm believing for 100ums
Original post by DoaaK

Original post by DoaaK
what did people get for the calculations?

and just wanna say I predicted the last question! so for those of you who read it, I hope you revised how the epithelial cells are adapted for gas exchange! ;D

You did? :angry: Predict the unit 2 one aswell in that case. ! : O
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone got the mark scheme? :biggrin:
Reply 1046
Yes! Yes! That is exactly what I put :smile: It's a relief. The trouble is, those kind of questions (the relatively ambiguous kind) promote a sort of pot luck approach, favouring weaker candidates.

On three of the four past paper questions I got 100 UMS (worked out my mark from the UMS converter for that paper on the AQA website) soo I was well revised.

I know an A is good, but i'm believing for 100ums

how many raw marks is that? and can you link me to that ums converter?
:frown: :'(
Reply 1048
Original post by swiftylol
You did? :angry: Predict the unit 2 one aswell in that case. ! : O

yeaaah :') as soon as I guess I'll let you know!
and you should have seen me last year before my French gcse :') I opened a dictionary at random pages, learnt 10 words and they all came up :')
Original post by HaimishaParekh
Anyone got the mark scheme? :biggrin:

Hopefully someone will upload one by tomorrow. :biggrin:
I feel so bad, looking at the answers, got the calculations wrong.. what.. just.. :'(. How were you supposed to calculate the thing for person A? I did it and got 2. something :'(
i think i did well in that paper, a Minimum, wouldnt be surprised if i got 100%, the first calculation was tedious, as effkay said above, i got something like 2
Original post by DoaaK
how many raw marks is that? and can you link me to that ums converter?

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php?id=04

Yeahh I got 52/53/54 on some of them and still got 100UMS. It depends how people do nationally.

It's useful cause you can see what UMS score you would have got, had you sat that exam.
Original post by studentofskhs
How did you answer the 'evaluate the vacine' question? Alot of people said they should use antibiotics ect. but i wrote;

1. Sample size was unknown
2. Experiment was not carried out on humans
3. long term side effect was unknown
4. no control group was used.

I'm starting to doubt myself now, did i miss interprit the question?

I think it was meant to ask whether or not a vaccine should be made.
I said they could use condoms intead. :flute:

Forgot what else I said. :colondollar:
Original post by Wick3d
Hopefully someone will upload one by tomorrow. :biggrin:

Cool, thanks!
Original post by ??????????????????
I think it was meant to ask whether or not a vaccine should be made.
I said they could use condoms intead. :flute:

Forgot what else I said. :colondollar:

yeah but wouldnt a vaccine mean that more of the heart tissue would get attacked ? because it contains the same protein antigens found on chlaymidia ( or however it's spelt ) thats what i put down, i took a massive gamble on that one, huh, im hoping it paid off.
I am so stressed people! I got all the calculations wrong! And forgot to talk about sodium-potassium transport for the last one :'(
Reply 1057
I have an inkling of a feeling that this paper has mark high boundaries
Original post by James A
yeah but wouldnt a vaccine mean that more of the heart tissue would get attacked ? because it contains the same protein antigens found on chlaymidia ( or however it's spelt ) thats what i put down, i took a massive gamble on that one, huh, im hoping it paid off.

Ah remember some of it now.
Yeah I put down that the heart muscle might get damaged and herd immunity. Should have said depends if the risk is greater than the side effect =.=
Forgot the rest but if I see somebody else mention it I'll remember I think.
Original post by ??????????????????
Ah remember some of it now.
Yeah I put down that the heart muscle might get damaged and herd immunity. Should have said depends if the risk is greater than the side effect =.=
Forgot the rest but if I see somebody else mention it I'll remember I think.

hopefully someone posts an unofficial mark scheme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending